Stray cat, RSPCA, bit worried of outcome

(86 Posts)
thingymibob Mon 16-Sep-13 22:40:20

We found a stray limping cat in our garden. First saw it on Saturday, limping badly and then again this evening, not putting weight on it's back leg. Put a little food down, thinking if we can keep it in the garden until tomorrow and phone someone. Turns out it's a really sweet animal, skin and bones but really friendly and was sitting on my DD's lap within 20 mins, after wolfing down all the food. I didn't want to leave it in the garden overnight so called the local out of hours vets.

They said they would see him, gave him a painkiller, checked for chip (there isn't one) checked for temperature and apart from being skinny and with a sore leg, he seemed fine. They suggested we took him to RSPCA, (Harmsworth) which we did and they took him in.

Am now worried he will be PTS sad I left my details and said we would consider rehoming him but then wondered if they thought we had just dropped a family pet off for free treatment

Our dilema is we already have a female moggy who is now around 14 years old. We had another cat who was pts 3 years ago, we got them at the same time from RSPCA but the second one got cancer. Would our existing cat live happily with a young male cat? And how do you introduce them? Our cat was hissing through the window at the stray, which is how we noticed him, not sure she would be that accommodating. We already have two dogs and they exist in the same home but the cat keeps well away from them

That's if the RSPCA would consider us rehoming him. He was young and intact with no chip and riddled with fleas - so things would need doing/sorting

I have a number to call tomorrow to see how he is. IF we do want to rehome, would we be liable for the treatment he is given at RSPCA??? Or should we offer to pay so we can bring him home, if we could work out how to get our girl used to him??

Lots of questions, but not sure how it would work and I am always hearing such bad things about the RSPCA

ZebraOwl Fri 27-Sep-13 22:41:23

Argh! How frustrating!

Am v glad to hear that the cat's doing well - will keep everything crossed he'll be convalescing chez thingymibob soon smile

TheWinterOne Mon 30-Sep-13 12:27:50

Argh frustrating! Couldn't the woman who spoke to you actually tell you if it was actually you they were home checking? They don't have to say who the other person is (if there is one) but could say if it's you or not.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a call soon and that you'll be welcoming a new addition.

thingymibob Thu 03-Oct-13 10:58:52

Help!!

I called back today - as I was told to last week if I haven't heard anything

The woman I spoke to today was rude and dismissive. She said she can see I have been ringing but he is still having to have cast checks/changes so won't be going anywhere. She said no homecheck will be made and noone will phone me as he is down as a stray - and technically I am no one of importance! When I said that is different to what I have been told, she said well that's the way it is. I then said I feel I am being given the runaround, she she oh well, bye and hung up on me

I don't get it, we are offering a nice home but no one is bothered with getting anything sorted and all saying different things

Catneuterer - I will pm if that' still ok? I am getting so fed up, I have been polite every time I have phoned, have followed what they have advised but today the woman was out of order

Nyborg Thu 03-Oct-13 11:07:31

I wonder if it's worth tweeting them. Their Comms team might have more sense than the volunteers on the ground, who sound awful.

issey6cats Thu 03-Oct-13 14:08:58

this is awful they want cats rehomed you are offering to rehome him and this is the way you get treated appalling,

but sadly typical of the rspca sod thier glitzy adverts most people in rescue of cats have a very low opinion of them as an orginisation, im not talking the people on the ground floor who actually work with the animals in thier hmm care, but the jobsworths on the phone who are not probably even where the animals are located but at a call center,

this week we had three adult indoor all thier lives (4&2yrs old) cats who have been literally thrown out on the street because thier owner died social services contacted rspca they said bring them in and we will PTS no second chance for the cats just a bloody death sentence, we are closed at the moment due to feline parvo having been in the center but i offered them a home for a temp basis and someone else answered the foaster home call so this time these cats are safe and in a foster, but how many cats dont get this chance i hate that orgnisation now

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 03-Oct-13 16:06:38

Pm cat neuterer, she has offered to help with her contacts.

ZebraOwl Thu 03-Oct-13 21:11:31

Really hope that catneuterer is able to help you thingymibob: it seems mad they're not interested in someone being willing & able to take a sick cat off their hands & care for it!

I think Nyborg might have a point about using social media: they'll not want the bad PR that could arise from this. You could always suggest you might approach the local press about it...

timtam23 Thu 03-Oct-13 21:13:03

How frustrating - I am not a user of Twitter or Facebook but have heard of people getting good results from using both of those - big organisations hate to have negative comments about them on public display. I hope you manage to get some more positive news. Sounds like some of the phone-answerers are on a bit of a power trip angry

TheWinterOne Thu 10-Oct-13 10:27:48

Any more news thingymibob?

Celia Hammond has all the details and has promised to take this up. I will need to remind her today as she is bogged down with a court case (against a breeder) at the moment.

thingymibob Thu 10-Oct-13 14:32:52

No news - have tried a few times to call but it just keeps ringing out. My DD thinks they are ignoring my number - she said it as a joke but now I'm not too sure

Will try again tomorrow. It's so frustrating not having another number I can call. I only have the main hospital number and that is for everyone to call them on, including people who have pets that need seeing to or already in having treatment

Will try again tomorrow and see if I can get any further but I have feeling he will be gone soon as he should be due to have his cast off

thingymibob Thu 10-Oct-13 15:27:54

Just managed to get through, this time spoke to a more helpful person

She said she would chase up the homecheck people, he is down to be castrated tomorrow (though has been on the list a few times but they have been too busy to fit him in before) She took my name and number - which they said they had? - and if I call back tomorrow, she or they might have some news

So, a better phone call than the last one but still not convinced I will get anywhere tomorrow, if I can even get through

So fingers crossed again, this lady will actually do something

mumofone25 Thu 10-Oct-13 15:38:56

Gosh this is appalling! Your offering a stray cat a home and they're being so dismissive and rude. I really hope things work out well for you and the poor little stray!

HenriettaPye Thu 10-Oct-13 15:54:26

Just come across this thread- I'm shocked! You always see them needing homes for animals- the ads to try and get you to help, and here you are, bending over backwards to give this little man a home and they are being so uncooperative.

I do hope you get him, I'm sure he will have a lovely life with you!

TheWinterOne Thu 10-Oct-13 16:13:14

Fingers crossed you get some decent news soon. You have the patience of a saint.

So many cats need homes that you'd think they'd be biting your hands off to take him on.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 12-Oct-13 20:47:33

Just saw this thread - hope you are getting somewhere now.

CanucksoontobeinLondon Sat 12-Oct-13 21:35:04

I too just read this thread, what a nightmare! You'd think the RSPCA would be happy for you to be taking this cat off your hands, instead of treating you like this. I hope you get somewhere soon, crossing my fingers both for you and for the poor kitty. Hopefully in a few weeks this will all just be a bad memory.

I am emailing my in-laws, who I know regularly donate to the RSPCA, informing them of that garbage the guy at the main number gave you regarding re-releasing strays near where they were found. It doesn't make any SENSE! The only thing I can think of that makes sense is if the guy at the main number somehow thought your kitty was a feral rather than a stray. I believe catch-neuter-release is the policy of the no-kill shelters here in Canada when it comes to adult ferals, because adult ferals are usually untameable. But your kitty is obviously a stray. If that's really their policy with strays, I would urge my in-laws to save their pennies or donate to a different animal welfare charity with a better philosophy.

Good luck!

timtam23 Sat 12-Oct-13 22:39:37

Any news thingy?

ZebraOwl Sat 12-Oct-13 22:44:18

Am starting to think we need to organise a raid on where poor should-be-thingymicat is being held & get him home...

thingymibob any news?

We now have an RSPCA 'important person' on the case, so we're hoping for good news soon. I'll leave it to thingymibob to update further.

ZebraOwl Sun 13-Oct-13 14:08:05

<crosses everything she can & holds thumbs>

thingymibob Sun 13-Oct-13 18:07:59

Thanks to thecatneuterer and her fabulous contacts, we have had a homecheck/meeting about how things have happened.

Lady was very nice and very apologetic and she said she would give us the thumbs up to bring him home. One of her colleagues will be going to Harmsworth this week so hopefully we will hear more after that

cozietoesie Sun 13-Oct-13 18:46:45

Oh that's good. I'll save the real congrats to all until he actually lands at Thingy Towers though.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Oct-13 19:37:46

What if TCN didn't have contacts in the RSPCA though? No wonder they have to put so many to sleep if its this hard to adopt one.

I'm so relieved its moving along though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now