Found a cat expecting kittens!

(100 Posts)
Paddlinglikehell Thu 12-Sep-13 22:28:07

Just posted this in Chat. OH came In with a young cat he found down our (isolated) track. She has had a lot of water and a tiny amount of food, but is now sleeping, absolutely exhausted, she was a little vocal initially and very friendly. I can see and feel the kittens moving around, so she is on a warm bed, next to the radiator and am going to see how she is in the morning.

Anything else I should be doing? Will phone Cats Protection in case she has been lost tomorrow and take her to the vet, but I fear she may have been dumped. I am also a bit worried, because she doesn't seem to have the energy now (she did before) and can hardly raise her head when I go in. She is very young, probably 7 months looking at her teeth..

Any advice appreciated.

Sparklingbrook Sat 14-Sep-13 20:19:40

Oh Paddling that's very sad. But the Vet didn't think it was hopeful. If you hadn't rescued her she would have died alone and in lots of pain, but she had a peaceful end, it wasn't to be.

Don't dwell on the 'what ifs'. x

cozietoesie Sat 14-Sep-13 20:33:48

So sorry, Paddling. You had to go with the vet's best view - don't dwell as Sparkling said.

LegoAcupuncture Sat 14-Sep-13 21:16:02

Oh poor kitty sad

You did the best you could for her. She would have been so much more worse off in the wild had she had that seizure.

flowers

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 14-Sep-13 21:17:59

You did the best you could; as has been said, she'd have died alone and in pain had your oh not found her. sad Thank you for trying.

mumofone25 Sat 14-Sep-13 21:25:54

Sorry to hear the sad news. You lovely people done your best for her. Thankfully she was found and had a peaceful end. Please don't dwell on it and wonder about the what ifs. If it wasn't for you and your dh she would have suffered badly. Best wishes.

issey6cats Sat 14-Sep-13 21:45:13

so sorry to read that she and kits didnt make it you did all that was humanly possible for her

timtam23 Sat 14-Sep-13 21:49:05

Paddling I am so sorry to read your update. But as others have said, she would have died a horrible slow painful death alone had you not found her. At least in her last few days she was loved & cared for and had a warm bed & some medical attention. Please don't feel you let her down - she was a very sick little cat & you gave her a chance which she would not otherwise have had. thanks to you and your DH

Ireallymustbemad Sat 14-Sep-13 22:29:07

So sorry to hear that. Rest assured that you did loads for her and gave her the best chance cake

Distrustinggirlnow Sat 14-Sep-13 23:37:37

So sorry to read your update paddling, I thought she was going to be ok..you'd did the absolute best for her, more than some others would've done.

I know it's maybe a silly thing to say, but try not and be too sad, instead be proud of what you did. thanks

tabithasmum23 Sat 14-Sep-13 23:42:11

So sad to hear she didn't make it but don't feel guilty...you did a good thing in trying to help her.
Perhaps if you have the room and funds you can take on another kitty needing a home to ease the strain on the shelters and help feline kind in her honour?

Purpleknickers Sun 15-Sep-13 05:53:41

So sorry to read your uodate paddling, at least in her last few hours she was cared for and given pain relief RIP little kitty sad

Just read your whole thread and so sorry the outcome wasn't as positive as you'd hoped. You did brilliantly and she was lucky she found you. You gave her and the kittens the best chance you could and at least she knew that she was cared for in her last days xxx

JakeBullet Sun 15-Sep-13 07:19:44

So sorry to read the latest update paddling, be proud of yourself for helping her. From what the vet said to you I very much doubt that she would have survived a big op. You did the kindest thing for her....at lesst she was being cared for.
flowers

I can't tell you how upset I was to read this. I felt invested in her already and I'd never even met her. You should feel proud of yourselves for helping her and you really did everything you possibly could. I'm so sorry.

GetStuffezd Sun 15-Sep-13 15:01:23

So sorry to read this. She was bloody lucky to have found you.
X

ClaraOswald Sun 15-Sep-13 15:06:29

You tried your best for her. She just wasn't strong enough for her body to cope with the illness she was going through.

sashh Sun 15-Sep-13 15:42:33

SO sad, but you did your best, no one can do more.

tobiasfunke Sun 15-Sep-13 19:42:24

I'm so sorry about your poor little cat. We were all hoping for a better outcome but at least she was made to feel loved and comfortable in her last few days. You are a very kind and lovely person.

Paddling, you did a lovely thing. Remember that. She had a warm bed and love and affection.
Sorry to read this update.

Paddlinglikehell Mon 16-Sep-13 00:26:20

Thank you for all your kind words, it still feels a bit raw today, don't know why it affected us so much, we only knew her a day.

I hope we didn't let her down, the thought she had a lovely warm night by the radiator and a lap to sit on for one night is a good thought.

OH said he thought he had seen a black cat up the track several weeks ago, but it disappeared and he just though it belonged to one of the cottages at the top and hadn't though anything of it, he is really feeling bad he didn't take more note, but why should he?

The weather outside tonight is horrid, cold and hail, so glad she isn't out there now.

Going in to pay the bill tomorrow, hoping I may see the vet to have a chat, I just need to know it was the right decision.

Thanks again and yes, we will probably take on another cat, back ones, like our stray, because no one wants them. Preferably two related who have to stay together.

ZebraOwl Mon 16-Sep-13 01:29:31

Oh Paddling, I'm so sorry. It truly does sound as though you made the best choices for her, though, sad as it is.

thanks

claraschu Mon 16-Sep-13 02:47:31

I am so sorry. You have been so kind and caring. I am going to make a donation to a cat rescue in honour of your little stray-

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 16-Sep-13 03:29:16

It was the right decision. You were very, very kind to make it, and to pay the vets bill (however you neogotiate it). You are Good People.

Selks Mon 16-Sep-13 12:22:31

You didn't let her down, far from it. You did what you could. The important thing is that she had your love and thoughts in her last days, along with comfort and care at the vets. That is so much better than if she had not been found. Don't be hard on yourself. She knew she was being taken care of and it sounds like she was happy in her last days and that is the important thing.

Horsemad Mon 16-Sep-13 19:23:59

I have just read this thread and am crying now for a little cat who was so so lucky to have been found by your OH.

Imagine how awful it would have been for her alone and ill.
You did a good thing Paddling, and althouhg it wasn't the outcome we wanted, you know you gave her the very best chance.
I love that there are people willing to do that for a stray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now