Bringing home a 7 week old kitten on Friday...

(64 Posts)

I realise she's very young to leave Mum, but have little choice.
A family I work with have 10+ cats, including this kitten.
The others from the litter left at 5 weeks old sad
They are very keen to give her away as soon as they can. I persuaded them to keep her for the extra fortnight, but if I don't take her on Friday she will be homeless.
They do not have a litter tray, so the cats wee and poo in the house. She has been eating solid food, mainly given to her by Mum Cat, who has been taking food from bins and bringing it home to eat with the kittens. They have not been wormed or de flea'd, and are quite skinny.

I feel the kitten would be better coming home with me, as they are financially unable to feed or care for her properly, but I am worried about her young age.
I have booked a vets appointment for Saturday.

What can I do to make the transition easy for her? I do work, but only school hours, and have the weekend to settle her in before I have to leave her alone. Am so nervous, and keen to do my best after her difficult start.

Any cat experts out there tonight?

timtam23 Mon 16-Sep-13 23:10:05

What a gorgeous kitten MoreCrack, she deserves to be cossetted and adored in a loving home with you, I bet she is in kitty heaven right now after what she has been through smile

cozietoesie Mon 16-Sep-13 22:22:05

Even more beautiful on that one!

She is perfect.
Managed to upload a second pic but it appears to have replaced the first confused

Hope all is well with your kitten CatMint smile

Catmint Mon 16-Sep-13 21:44:51

What a lovely kitten!

girliefriend Mon 16-Sep-13 20:41:31

Aww cute, really similar to my boy (think I have a photo on here!)

Black and white cats are always really affectionate ime and not sure if its a trait but my cat is a real follower, if we walk anywhere locally he loves to come with us grin

cozietoesie Mon 16-Sep-13 20:13:57

What a sweetie!

Managed to upload a photo.
Stupid phone won't let me add anymore.
I think you get an idea of scale by the skirting board!

timtam23 Sun 15-Sep-13 21:52:12

Good to hear you kittens are settling in so well, MoreCrack and Catmint

cozietoesie Sun 15-Sep-13 21:46:03

So pleased she's taken well to her tray, More. It just shows how really clean they are - she must have been close to despair in the other house.

Glad you're all enjoying each other.

smile

Very similar here, Catmint.
Boo has spent the evening playing with dh and is now on dd's knee watching Vera. She watches TV so intently,it's very funny grin

Using the litter tray with no further accidents. Can't believe how easily she has picked it up.
She was sick tonight, brought up one of those rubber bracelet things...not ours so must have been ingested in her previous home.

No more live fleas on tonight's combing.

Insured her today, £10 a month with Petplan, more expensive than some but the cover was good.
I also plan to pay £99 for a vacs plan, which covers the cost of boosters for their lifetime.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Meg, Catmint. We have laughed so much at Boo's antics today, she's really added something extra to our family <soppy>

Catmint Sun 15-Sep-13 20:14:42

So pleased things are going well with Boo, Morecrack. Love the name - there is a bit of a 'strong woman' theme in our kitten names! grin

Meg is doing brilliantly. We have periods of utter madness, racing around, followed by complete flopping. There is no in between.

By the way, there are 2 types of Advocate. The orange one is good for small cats/ kittens but I don't know what weight the kitten has to be for first treatment.

girliefriend Sun 15-Sep-13 18:02:15

You def did the right thing, can you put a picture up?!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned pet insurance, well worth imo. My friends cat was recently run over and it cost her about £1500 in vets bills shock I have moggy insurance with argos and it only costs £6 a month!!

When my cat was flea infested the only thing that worked was advocate, not sure what age it is suitable from tho.

Thanks everyone, for all the fab advice.
Just combed her and there was much less flea dirt.
A few dead fleas, but haven't spotted a live one all day.
Much less scratching.
Hopefully we've cracked it. All kitten's bedding and blankets in washing machine.

Oh...and I really love her smile
So glad I took her in!

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 15-Sep-13 14:54:14

Ok, the old fashioned flea trick.

Comb, bowl of hot water, bar of soap, tissues.

Comb the cat with damp bar of soap to hand. Use car of soap to catch fleas. ( it does work, they stick to it). Then wipe soap with tissues and stuff down loo. Rinse comb and soap and start again.

Good luck

timtam23 Sat 14-Sep-13 23:04:58

good news about her general health smile and she has a lovely name

My 7-weeker was underweight as well but gained very quickly - 500g in 2 weeks

The fleas were still jumping around on my boy after the vet sprayed him, which I was surprised about as I'd thought they'd all be dead. They were mainly on his face & neck especially around his eyes & ears. I kept combing and combing, squashing & squashing the fleas, and the following day I gave him a bath (but by that time I was sure we'd got rid of virtually all the fleas, I thought it might flush out the one or two remaining ones)

He was definitely so much more comfortable once all the fleas had gone

Well...

Good news on the litter tray front. Boo has used it all day with no accidents. She's a clever girl smile

She is a little underweight, according to the vet, though her ears are clear of mites and her eyes are clean.
She is, however, riddled with fleas sad
The vet ran her comb through Boo's fur and the results were disgusting. She has been sprayed with a kitten friendly flea treatment, but tonight is very uncomfortable and scratchy. The fleas are much more noticeable than before- wandering around on her fur, particularly her face. I am picking and combing as many as I can. It's awful to see her so uncomfortable. She isn't purring when stroked like before.
Is this normal after treatment, do you think?

So cross that someone would allow their animals to become so infested. Poor thing.
I have booked her in for vacs on the 28th.

Hope your day has been a success too, Catmint. Has Kitten settled down at all?
Love Meg White!
I would have liked PJ, after PJ Harvey, but dh vetoed this and my 2nd choice, Penelope.
So dd chose Boudicca, nn Boo.
It suits her!

timtam23 Sat 14-Sep-13 22:02:15

How did you get on at the vets MoreCrack?

Catmint Sat 14-Sep-13 20:54:13

Forgot to say, if you can find time please post a pic!

My cat is called Meg White, by the way, as you were asking about names.

Catmint Sat 14-Sep-13 20:52:29

Hi morecrack, I am so pleased its going well, and that you are in love. grin

Kittens are so clever and funny aren't they, we have laughed so much as a family already today. Very happy.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Sep-13 09:55:07

By the way, try to stay alert on the use of tray front. A poo in the tray is excellent but training is likely to be a few days and not a few hours.

Shame about the sofa but given your description of the original house conditions, it could have been so much worse.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Sep-13 09:45:01

Pretty good going so far, then.

You'll feel better once she's been vetted. Let us know how she gets on.

smile

And thanks everyone for your advice and experience.
I was not quite as daunted by the task ahead after reading all your posts smile

She is still happy this morning.
She slept in her room without crying, but was very pleased to see me at 7am! She has wet on the sofa bed, but after picking her up numerous times and putting her in the tray we managed to get her first poo in there! No runny ness or sign of worms.
She loves the James Wellbeloved kitten food and is having a great time playing with dd,
Even dh is smitten.

ZebraOwl Sat 14-Sep-13 02:10:49

It is fab you've taken the kitten in: I hope the vet appointment goes well & you're able to get her defleaed & litter-trained asap.

So sad the circumstances so many inner-city animals (including humans!) live in are so grim. My beloved moglets were from a litter cared for by a neighbour of mummycat's owner(s) after the poor girl decided that a stranger's loft was the best place to birth her umpteenth litter of kittens. I got them at just 8 weeks (rest of litter went at 7 weeks) & they adjusted quite fast to All The New Things.

I am booked in tomorrow at vets.

She is AMAZING!
Eating/drinking happily and playing with dd.
The fleas are noticeable but her fur is in good condition.
Not yet used the litter tray.
I had to bob to the supermarket and she slept on her blanket the whole time- exact same position when I returned home!

We are in love!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now