Bringing home a 7 week old kitten on Friday...

(64 Posts)

I realise she's very young to leave Mum, but have little choice.
A family I work with have 10+ cats, including this kitten.
The others from the litter left at 5 weeks old sad
They are very keen to give her away as soon as they can. I persuaded them to keep her for the extra fortnight, but if I don't take her on Friday she will be homeless.
They do not have a litter tray, so the cats wee and poo in the house. She has been eating solid food, mainly given to her by Mum Cat, who has been taking food from bins and bringing it home to eat with the kittens. They have not been wormed or de flea'd, and are quite skinny.

I feel the kitten would be better coming home with me, as they are financially unable to feed or care for her properly, but I am worried about her young age.
I have booked a vets appointment for Saturday.

What can I do to make the transition easy for her? I do work, but only school hours, and have the weekend to settle her in before I have to leave her alone. Am so nervous, and keen to do my best after her difficult start.

Any cat experts out there tonight?

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 15-Sep-13 14:54:14

Ok, the old fashioned flea trick.

Comb, bowl of hot water, bar of soap, tissues.

Comb the cat with damp bar of soap to hand. Use car of soap to catch fleas. ( it does work, they stick to it). Then wipe soap with tissues and stuff down loo. Rinse comb and soap and start again.

Good luck

Thanks everyone, for all the fab advice.
Just combed her and there was much less flea dirt.
A few dead fleas, but haven't spotted a live one all day.
Much less scratching.
Hopefully we've cracked it. All kitten's bedding and blankets in washing machine.

Oh...and I really love her smile
So glad I took her in!

girliefriend Sun 15-Sep-13 18:02:15

You def did the right thing, can you put a picture up?!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned pet insurance, well worth imo. My friends cat was recently run over and it cost her about £1500 in vets bills shock I have moggy insurance with argos and it only costs £6 a month!!

When my cat was flea infested the only thing that worked was advocate, not sure what age it is suitable from tho.

Catmint Sun 15-Sep-13 20:14:42

So pleased things are going well with Boo, Morecrack. Love the name - there is a bit of a 'strong woman' theme in our kitten names! grin

Meg is doing brilliantly. We have periods of utter madness, racing around, followed by complete flopping. There is no in between.

By the way, there are 2 types of Advocate. The orange one is good for small cats/ kittens but I don't know what weight the kitten has to be for first treatment.

Very similar here, Catmint.
Boo has spent the evening playing with dh and is now on dd's knee watching Vera. She watches TV so intently,it's very funny grin

Using the litter tray with no further accidents. Can't believe how easily she has picked it up.
She was sick tonight, brought up one of those rubber bracelet things...not ours so must have been ingested in her previous home.

No more live fleas on tonight's combing.

Insured her today, £10 a month with Petplan, more expensive than some but the cover was good.
I also plan to pay £99 for a vacs plan, which covers the cost of boosters for their lifetime.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Meg, Catmint. We have laughed so much at Boo's antics today, she's really added something extra to our family <soppy>

cozietoesie Sun 15-Sep-13 21:46:03

So pleased she's taken well to her tray, More. It just shows how really clean they are - she must have been close to despair in the other house.

Glad you're all enjoying each other.

smile

timtam23 Sun 15-Sep-13 21:52:12

Good to hear you kittens are settling in so well, MoreCrack and Catmint

Managed to upload a photo.
Stupid phone won't let me add anymore.
I think you get an idea of scale by the skirting board!

cozietoesie Mon 16-Sep-13 20:13:57

What a sweetie!

girliefriend Mon 16-Sep-13 20:41:31

Aww cute, really similar to my boy (think I have a photo on here!)

Black and white cats are always really affectionate ime and not sure if its a trait but my cat is a real follower, if we walk anywhere locally he loves to come with us grin

Catmint Mon 16-Sep-13 21:44:51

What a lovely kitten!

She is perfect.
Managed to upload a second pic but it appears to have replaced the first confused

Hope all is well with your kitten CatMint smile

cozietoesie Mon 16-Sep-13 22:22:05

Even more beautiful on that one!

timtam23 Mon 16-Sep-13 23:10:05

What a gorgeous kitten MoreCrack, she deserves to be cossetted and adored in a loving home with you, I bet she is in kitty heaven right now after what she has been through smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now