WE ARE GETTING A KITTEN!!

(38 Posts)
MrsPeeWee Tue 10-Sep-13 10:32:08

After over a year of asking, tonight we're finally getting our 5 year old a kitten. We are so excited. She's 9 weeks old and is a beautiful tortoise shell kitt. grin

I need major advice. This is our first pet, so we are looking for tips on looking after her. Food's, beds, what should I buy? How should we help her adapt to her new home when she arrives later this evening? Looking at any advice you could offer. Thank you.

Horsemad Wed 11-Sep-13 11:50:31

Awww, you're her new Mummy Cat grin so she's bonding!

MrsPeeWee Wed 11-Sep-13 11:24:23

I will definitely get you pictures by the end of the day. grin

I am smitten with her, all morning she's been cuddling in to my legs and licking me. I am not sure what that means, but I am guessing hoping it means shes happy. We've had lots of purrs too.

Horsemad Wed 11-Sep-13 08:25:19

Aw, bless her! smile

Still can't get onto your profile to see her pic tho' sad desperate to see what she looks like!

MrsPeeWee Wed 11-Sep-13 06:20:40

I've been up for the past 18 minutes with her, she keeps coming upstairs and meowing. I think she's content because when we stroke her, shes purring away. smile

timtam23 Wed 11-Sep-13 00:10:14

Also if you have a large heavy-duty paper bag the kitten will spend hours jumping in & out of it & trying to work out where the rustling is coming from smile

the cat litter we use comes in just such a bag so no extra expense required!

Add a pingpong ball for even more fun smile

timtam23 Wed 11-Sep-13 00:04:49

Also if you have one of those laser pointers they go absolutely berserk chasing the red dot around but you have to be very very careful not to let the laser shine directly into their eyes.

My kitten tends to have a mad "awake" spell around midnight but we sometimes manage to slow him down a bit after a session of "chase the red spot"

MrsPeeWee Tue 10-Sep-13 22:41:50

Brill advice timtam - thank you!

Oooh no!! I will try and make it public now. grin

Horsemad Tue 10-Sep-13 21:45:23

Mrs PeeWee your profile isn't public, so I can't see the pic sad

timtam23 Tue 10-Sep-13 21:22:20

MrsPeeWee I have a kitten the same age (took him in as a stray 3 weeks ago) - he adores playing with scrunched-up sheets of paper, small cardboard boxes (shoeboxes are perfect, he jumps in & out of them & sleeps in them), bits of string and ping-pong balls. We also have a couple of catnip toys from Yeowww! which are not cheap but are better than most of the others around (I have 2 older cats who have loved these). He sleeps a lot and we have to be quite firm with the kids (5 & 3 yrs old) who want him on their laps ALL THE TIME. When he's awake he is always after my feet - v v sharp claws & teeth! - and also loves empty shoes especially ones with laces.

I can't see your pic but will check back later, she sounds gorgeous!

MrsPeeWee Tue 10-Sep-13 20:38:35

For anyone wanting to see her, I have just uploaded a picture of her in my photos. grin Her name is Mittens.

MrsPeeWee Tue 10-Sep-13 20:30:56

We are besotted already. grin
Cozie we kept it a secret from him. He was completely over the moon as soon as he saw her, he couldn't believe we actually got him a kitten.

She is nervous, but very happily playing and exploring the downstairs of the house. She's already ate and drank perfectly fine. We popped up her new scratch post, and will definitely encourage her to use it. We're very happy with her. smile smile I will try and upload the picture of her now.

gobbin Tue 10-Sep-13 19:28:13

Keep your toilet lids down. One of my kittens years ago ended up in the loo (survived thank god).

Don't be surprised if she's scared stiff tonight and just wants to hide under the sofa. Our current gang hid under the furniture for most of the first three days lol.

Sparklingbrook Tue 10-Sep-13 17:28:05

There's a thread in Site Stuff about the double posts cozie-they are everywhere.

I am looking forward to kitten pics. smile

cozietoesie Tue 10-Sep-13 17:24:08

Ho hum - Tech is having a day off, I think.

cozietoesie Tue 10-Sep-13 17:22:58

Shall you be taking DS to collect the kit or looking to surprise him? It's one of the few occasions in life (eg Xmas) when a little gentle lying is no bad thing.

cozietoesie Tue 10-Sep-13 17:22:58

Shall you be taking DS to collect the kit or looking to surprise him? It's one of the few occasions in life (eg Xmas) when a little gentle lying is no bad thing.

Almostfifty Tue 10-Sep-13 16:46:52

They can get into ANY tiny space, so make sure they're all blocked off properly.

I've found mine behind the cooker, the dishwasher and in the wine rack this week. grin

Horsemad Tue 10-Sep-13 16:28:05

Having a kitten is like having a toddler on speed grin

Looking forward to the pics, my cat is a tortie, torties are ace, they have 'tortietude' grin

cozietoesie Tue 10-Sep-13 16:27:38

Well - we're here when the reality hits home. (Remember to put away the Ming vases.)

grin

MrsPeeWee Tue 10-Sep-13 16:25:42

I've researched like crazy today! I do know what I am letting myself in for (haha) - I just like a lot of reassurance.

I am feeling a lot more confident this afternoon. grin

We get her this evening. grin

cozietoesie Tue 10-Sep-13 16:05:46

I think it's safe to say that you have no idea what you're in for.

cozietoesie Tue 10-Sep-13 16:02:41

When are you getting her?

MrsPeeWee Tue 10-Sep-13 16:01:02

Thank you for the advice eddie.

Ah, I see sparkling sad

eddiemairswife Tue 10-Sep-13 15:37:06

She's still a baby so will need to sleep a lot, so try to dissuade your little boy from waking her too much. It's fine if he just lets her snuggle on his lap.

Sparklingbrook Tue 10-Sep-13 15:36:12

I have a cat MrsP so I can't have a kitten, she wouldn't like it and nor would DH. sad Very envious of anyone who gets a kitten. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now