What is my cat trying to tell me?

(46 Posts)
Poledra Wed 28-Aug-13 12:51:22

Hi there. You lovely knowledgeable people were very useful when I debated taking on two older cats earlier in the summer (thread here), so I'm back for some more help. The boys have settled in very well, the children love them and all is going well.

However, every evening at some point between about 8 and 10pm, one of the cats comes back in from outside and meows and yowls at me. Quite a bit. He stalks around the house vocalising, begs to get upstairs to get on the kids' beds (not allowed, but only because he then gets up at 5am and wakes me up) then eventually deigns to get up on the sofa and settles down beside me and quietens down. And that's it.

Is there something bothering him? Or is he just telling me about his evening prowl? I've never owned a cat before so I'm not sure if I'm reading this right and some reassurance (or possible alternative explanations!) would be lovely. Thanks.

My cats aren't vocal at all. Evil Cat should have a booming panto-villain type voice, but actually has the most embarrassingly pathetic strained "meeep" and Ginger Moron is just high pitched and chirrupy.

But, if I dare walk out of the street without them (ie all the time) they run after me, GM doing the cat equivalent of a "don't leaaave me, ohgodohgodohgod" and Evil Cat waits for my return at which point she runs up to me doing her strangulated "meeep" and does her meerkat impression (stands on hind legs, her Russian is a work in progress) the end result being she looks all cute n lovely. Upon entering the house she ignores me.

Cats confuse me.

Corygal Sun 01-Sep-13 21:43:54

Transcript of dialogue in the Cory house this eve. Mr Cory has trained me to mew back, but if I get it wrong I shamefully revert to my mothertongue.

Corygal Sun 01-Sep-13 21:42:46

Mr Cory: Wah!
Me: Weh!
Mr Cory: No you fool, Wah!!
Me: Weh! Mummy talk de English. Who da most beeyotiful Mistah Flumpkin Cuddle paws?
Mr Cory: Wah...
Me: Wiv de lickle cuddly foots and da lickle cuddly head? (stroking frenziedly)
Mr Cory. Wah. Purr.

MissStrawberry Sun 01-Sep-13 21:31:58

Forgot to say already they have got used to having supper (a few biscuits) and it is funny watching them waiting to get them. To stop GirlCat getting too big we have reduced tea and they get the rest for supper.

MissStrawberry Sun 01-Sep-13 21:30:56

My BoyCat is very loud when he talks to us. I mostly have no clue what he wants to say but it is lovely to listen too and I always reply.

bootsycollins Fri 30-Aug-13 13:59:57

I swear that my lovely boy has a special deep purr for when I tell him he's such a good boy.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 30-Aug-13 13:51:34

Oh, but I started the conversation.
Tail less wonder walks in through back door.
Me: Hello
TLW: miaow
Me: come over here
TLW: mew
TLW jumps up
Me: oh darling, you are beautiful
TLW: intense purring
And so it goes on.
Mostly the conversations involve me reaffirming both my cats' belief that they are divine beings.

cozietoesie Fri 30-Aug-13 13:42:10

They can get a bit quieter - although I sometimes wonder if that isn't because they've trained you so well that they don't have so much to complain about.wink

loopyloou Fri 30-Aug-13 13:38:26

Tbh I'm upset that my Siamese isn't more vocal. I love his Siamese voice, but these days he's not as chatty as he used to be as a kitten. Black cat is fairly talkative though.

SunshineBossaNova Fri 30-Aug-13 13:08:39

There's a lovely chatty ginger tom in our street. He shouts when he sees us or we call him, then chats away as he accompanies us down the street. He occasionally lets me stroke him, but that's rare.

My old tom has started shouting and talking more often since he's become an only cat, and it's louder now he's a bit deaf. I love hearing him though.

SummerRain Fri 30-Aug-13 13:06:55

I baby talk at them to annoy dp grin

'Who's a fluffy baby? You are aren't you, look at that fwuffy chin, I bet that fwuffy chin needs a swatch doesn't it.....'

I keep going in my best 'crazy cat lady' voice until dp implodes wink

GemmaTeller Fri 30-Aug-13 13:00:34

Sometimes you can keep it going for ages if you do questions:

Cat - yowl
Me - did you?
Cat - yowl
Me - did it?
Cat - yowl
Me- who did it?

.......and on and on and on (until DH tells me to stop grin )

SummerRain Fri 30-Aug-13 12:55:07

Boy cats seem to be more prone to this than females, although one of my girls is some sort of oriental/moggie cross and constantly has something to say.

The two boys I have now are terrible for deciding they want to prowl around the house shouting at the worst times though, ginger boy comes upstairs in the middle of the night looking for dd and despite knowing exactly where her bedroom is and her door being open will sit in the hall howling until she wakes up an calls him confused

We have to pause the tv whilst they get the 10 minutes of miowing out of their systems as you can't har a thing over them.

I agree with chatting back, it seems to settle them quicker ime

SparkyTGD Fri 30-Aug-13 11:51:05

grin at all the talking cats.

My old cat (which I always assumed had a little bit Siamese in her) was very talkative (also very needy, nervy, demanding!) and usually just wanted a pet.

My new cat yowls for a little titbit of food (a few crunchies) when I come down after settling DS to bed, its become a routine every night.

cozietoesie Fri 30-Aug-13 11:42:05

The same tone of voice is critical as you'll likely have realized instinctively. If they yowl querulously, you answer back querulously and so on.

For all I know, he's conversing about the state of the stock market (he's a very well rounded cat) but it seems to keep him happy.

smile

loopyloou Fri 30-Aug-13 11:33:46

Lol

My conversations with Siamese are similar.

Him: Yowl
Me: Really?
Him: Yowl
Me: If you say so ...

cozietoesie Fri 30-Aug-13 09:09:22

Talk back to him.

I have long conversations with Seniorboy.

SB 'Yowl'
Me - 'So?' - in same tone of voice. That's very important.
SB - 'Yowl'
Me - 'And?'

.........and so on and so on. These days, he usually gives up before I do.

grin

goodasitgets Fri 30-Aug-13 03:30:45

Divacat likes to cry in the living room, I go to see what's wrong. He looks disdainful, stalks into the hallway and cries again. Repeat until human looks demented or gives up grin
(I still haven't worked out what he wants)

juneybean Thu 29-Aug-13 23:20:07

Ah yes, there's nothing quite like an intellectual chat with the cat, mine is usually shouting at me about some shit, then she wanders off leaving me bewildered yet chastised.

ZebraOwl Thu 29-Aug-13 23:14:48

My BalletCats are very chatty creatures - whenever someone comes in they greet them & tell them (at great length) what they've been up to so far that day. I'd guess - as others have said - he's just catching you up on what he's been up to while you've been apart...

cozietoesie Thu 29-Aug-13 13:29:36

Thanks loopy. I'll be fine. smile

loopyloou Thu 29-Aug-13 12:51:27

Hope you feel better soon Cozietoesie smile

cozietoesie Thu 29-Aug-13 11:57:14

Crikey!

mignonette Thu 29-Aug-13 11:52:13

This is a cat w/ a lot to say.

cozietoesie Wed 28-Aug-13 23:17:10

Don't really play games right now, I must confess. My health isn't great at the moment so we usually have love in snoozes.

Teddies of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now