Can I grind up a worming pill to give to cat?

(15 Posts)

It doesn't keep that long no. But you can feed whatever is left to you cat a bit a day

lljkk Fri 23-Aug-13 09:10:08

Does the fish paste keep, though? I hate idea of buying one jar a month only to throw most of it away, because no one else in the house will eat it except me and I don't like it that much, either.

florencedombey Thu 22-Aug-13 22:48:39

Yes, mine carefully lick their way round the crumbs of ground up milbemax too.

cozietoesie Thu 22-Aug-13 22:39:02

Nup. Mine would know. Believe me, I've tried and I can be right sneaky with them when I put my mind to it.

smile

Yes I can imagine Philly cheese works pretty well too. I might try that next time as I'm likely to have some in the fridge rather than having to buy the salmon paste stuff specially.

But that's why the fish paste stuff is so good. You can hide a whole pill in there and they will swallow it without noticing. So no just eating a bit and wandering off, and no leaving it behind. Just give a blob of it without any pill = they wolf it down, then a blob with the pill, and then another without for good measure. The stuff I'm currently using is Prince's Salmon Paste. And it really does seem to disguise anything - probably because it's so sticky that it just coats it completely.

cozietoesie Thu 22-Aug-13 22:29:53

This is a dog tale so be warned. My darling former collie (a gutsy pig if ever there was one) was sometimes given dog food with vegetables in it. Every time, I used to go to get his (supposedly) empty bowl, I would find one lone pea sitting there. That would be the pea that that particular half of the food tin contained and which, despite being a greedy guts, he had carefully worked round and ultimately discarded.

All of my cats have been pretty well the same with worming treatments, however disguised. I go for spot on now. It may be more expensive but at least you know it's got there.

Shyer Thu 22-Aug-13 22:23:56

I've been to the shop, bought some forbidden whiskas, mashed it up with pill and the little lad... ate a mouthful and sauntered off.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 22-Aug-13 22:20:13

Milbemax has an enteric coating which lasts even when ground so you get less mad cat frothing at mouth than with drontal. I now fill a teaspoon with philly cheese pop tablet in and then allow cat to lick off spoon it fools even the evil posh arrogant boy.

SizzleSazz Thu 22-Aug-13 22:19:01

I agree with cozie - liquid squeezed on the neck is FAR easier

cozietoesie Thu 22-Aug-13 22:17:23

And next time, go for a spot on.

Shyer Thu 22-Aug-13 21:06:54

Thanks a million! Looks like fish pate for breakfast. And limbs left for Mummy!

Yes you can. For future reference you may find Milbemax easier, apparently it tastes better than Drontal. At Celia Hammonds we use salmon paste to give pills (the stuff you buy in little jars for sandwiches). It's sticky, so the pill doesn't fall out, and cats seem to love it, and the strong flavour disguises the taste of the pill.

lljkk Thu 22-Aug-13 20:58:57

That may be pure genius.
Took 5 of us to get pill down cat 3 the other day.

Shyer Thu 22-Aug-13 20:56:58

Have to worm cat - only 100 easy steps so far. The Dorito (wrap ranging pet up in towel) has failed, but I need a skin graft. The Nose to the Sky has left me more or less fingerless.

So can I grind his drontal up and hide it in some flaming pate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now