HELP! Garage have found a tiny KITTEN under my bonnet!

(329 Posts)
timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 10:39:09

Took car in for service this morning and garage phoned to say they'd lifted the bonnet & found a tiny tiny kitten...After recovering from the shock I walked over to pick it up & it's absolutely tiny - maybe 5 weeks? Eyes are open...All I've managed to establish so far is it's male - white with tabby patches - it's hungry and it's covered in fleas! We are a cat-loving household & have 2 very geriatric cats, hadn't bargained on a kitten at all but have to admit it's very cute. But I'm clueless about kittens - 18 years since I had one! Have given it a bit of chicken/ham food for adult cats, which it devoured, and phoned the vet, but what else should I do?

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Aug-13 10:41:05

envy Definitely to the vets first. Wonder where Mum is?

NatashaBee Mon 19-Aug-13 10:44:38

Did the vet say what you should feed it? I don't think it will be ready for adult cat food.

BTW we will need pictures grin

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 10:44:39

Sparkling we haven't driven the car since last Weds so it's anyone's guess how long it's been there! We're not in an area known for kitten-abandonment, there are a lot of cats around but haven't seen any pregnant females & certainly no kittens. I'm always so envious of those other people who have kittens turn up on their doorsteps but I'm panicking now that it's happened to me!

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 19-Aug-13 10:45:35

Aww sounds lovely!

My dad found a kitten in his engine once, luckily before turning it on! I think they crawl in there because it's warm sad They kept the cat and it was a much loved family pet until it unfortunately got hit by a car about 2 years later.

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Aug-13 10:46:01

Poor kitten. 5 weeks is very little.

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 10:46:09

Natasha I will definitely get some kitten food for it later, vet's booked for 2.30 (have to get car back from garage first!) the chicken was all I had. I've got pics on my camera & will try to upload later, I promise!

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 19-Aug-13 10:47:04

Don't feed it cow's milk or baby formula. Cats can't digest cow's milk protein. If it's 5 weeks then it should be okay to eat normal food - you can buy special kitten food at supermarkets/pet shops etc.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Aug-13 10:51:56

Oh My. I reckon you've got an addition to the household now.

Let us know how you get on at the vets.

Best of luck to him. 5 weeks is tiny although by no means impossible to rear - but depending on any problems he may have.

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Aug-13 10:55:13

I need to top up with screenwash today <hopeful>

SoupDragon Mon 19-Aug-13 10:57:27

Surely he has to be named after the make of car/garage/mechanic

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 11:03:53

Soup it's a Nissan almera and the mechanic's name is Karl! Not sure any of them really suit him! And I'm trying not to name him yet in case we can't keep him or he's too poorly to make it sad

cozietoesie Mon 19-Aug-13 11:07:05

Wait and see how he does at the vets. If he's broadly OK, a few days of feeding and love will make a big difference to him.

(And find out the mechanic's second name - surnames often make great first names for cats.)

cozietoesie Mon 19-Aug-13 11:07:57

Poor Sparkling.

grin

mignonette Mon 19-Aug-13 11:10:10

How about Karlos/Carlos? Or Almo?

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 11:10:49

How do I put pics of kitten onto my profile? Can't seem to access the dropdown menu for my profile today

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 11:20:03

OK have managed to put up a pic of him scoffing some food. He's now fast asleep in the cat carrier smile

SoupDragon Mon 19-Aug-13 11:22:00

Karl the Kitten smile

You need to make your profile public BTW.

LegoAcupuncture Mon 19-Aug-13 11:22:45

envy

What a lucky kitten!

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 11:25:04

Thanks Soup - profile now public, hope you can see it now!

mignonette Mon 19-Aug-13 11:26:22

Still can't see them smile....

BikeRunSki Mon 19-Aug-13 11:28:17

What' s wrong with Karl the Kitten ? This isn( t the baby names area, it's ok to like names beginning with K.

I want to see.
I have four three week old kittens and they are just gorgeous.

timtam23 Mon 19-Aug-13 11:40:19

I have made my profile & my photos public, saved everything, not sure what else I need to do to make them visible, sorry!

cozietoesie Mon 19-Aug-13 11:43:38

Looks like there's a bit of a site problem. Wakeycakey has tried to do it and it's not working for her yet. Best leave it for a little bit and see if it comes right.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now