My vicious cat

(12 Posts)
cozietoesie Mon 19-Aug-13 00:35:08

PS - I should have added that in my experience, the fact that she only bites you is not because she doesn't like you but quite the opposite. You're probably her 'person' and thus the focus of her attention, good or naughty.

Doinmummy Mon 19-Aug-13 00:29:24

I will thank you x

cozietoesie Mon 19-Aug-13 00:25:22

Oh you can certainly chastise them but not by hitting or yelling.

Withdrawing privileges is the thing, with withdrawing their right to be in The Presence, best of all. It's a bit like having a shut door - they hate it but if the door was open they wouldn't even notice or want to go in the room. If you immediately put them outside in a firm way, they'll clock the connection to the bad behaviour. I usually (at the same time) use a firm NOOOOOO over three or four syllables rising slightly at the end and in time, that will suffice as the warning.

One thing you could do is watch her and learn to recognize the signals so that you can say NO before she attempts it - and put her out if necessary then. I know you said that she did it without warning but there will be something that you just haven't noticed. A tail or body movement, or a tension etc. Cast your mind back as well (or watch from now on) to see if there are any common factors in her environment (noise, people, stroking, whatever) that could be associated with her actions.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Doinmummy Mon 19-Aug-13 00:15:30

She's fit and well fack

Ill try your method cozie i didn't know you could chastise cats !!

Thank you for your advice

fackinell Mon 19-Aug-13 00:02:53

Could she have any health problems? Saw this advice on another thread and it's stuck in my mind. Maybe a checkup to make sure she's not in pain?

cozietoesie Sun 18-Aug-13 23:55:55

When she does it, pick her up firmly and brusquely (without hurting her), put her outside the room door and close it. (So if you're in the sitting room, bung her in the hall etc.) Leave her there for at least 20 minutes, ignoring any yowls and then open the door again.

Don't call her back in but just act normally if she appears.

And repeat......

(Seniorboy used to bite my Mum and she wouldn't do anything about it so he became quite naughty at times. Took me at least a week to retrain him and even now, he sometimes has a daft moment when I have to exert myself.)

Doinmummy Sun 18-Aug-13 23:49:01

I yelp and jump away. I hurts and I never see it coming!

cozietoesie Sun 18-Aug-13 19:14:18

How do you react when she does this, Doin ?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 18-Aug-13 18:57:37

Hmm posh arrogant boy is like this, we have just one to the conclusion he has a multiple personality disorder or is just miserable.

Doinmummy Sun 18-Aug-13 17:20:59

She does go outside and we play with her as and when she wants to. She only bites me !

cozietoesie Sun 18-Aug-13 14:45:20

It sounds as if she's bored and/or stressed by something. Does she go outside? And what is her play routine with you normally?

Doinmummy Sun 18-Aug-13 13:13:22

Well she's not really vicious but has started to randomly attack me. She'll jump up at me and bite me hard.

Does anyone know why this is ? She's 4 and has been spayed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now