Advice needed on new rehomed cat please

(9 Posts)
inneed36 Sat 03-Aug-13 11:50:47

We brought home a lovely boy aged approximately 3 yesterday. Obviously a bit shy but beautiful cat. Trouble is after using the litter tray once, he has done a wee and a poo in the same spot on my kitchen floor. We have shown him the litter box and I think at nights I will take the lid off but this is not practical with a 3 year old who gets into everything. Any advice on how to encourage use? I have been taking him to the tray every few hours. Is it usual for outdoor cats to hold it in until they actually go out? I know he is getting use to his surroundings but am at a loss. Thanks

issey6cats Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:56

is it possible to move the tray nearer the spot where he went a wee, as it looks like that is where he has chosen to go, and you say you have a tray with a lid some cats dont like them, if hes been used to going out he probably associates outside with loo break, my cats dont go in the house and dont have litter trays indoors

inneed36 Sat 03-Aug-13 13:22:59

Thanks, unfortunately the spot is in the middle of a small space! We don't have any history on him, am hoping I won't need the tray eventually and he will just go outside but think we have to keep him in for a couple of weeks

issey6cats Sat 03-Aug-13 13:29:20

if the space is too small for a tray meybe put some newspaper down there and he might go on that, not ideal but easier to pick up than wee and poo on the floor

inneed36 Sat 03-Aug-13 16:51:05

Think we will try that tonight, thanks!

PolterGoose Sat 03-Aug-13 17:56:05

Ideally a new cat should be kept in one room with everything they need and just be visited throughout the day for 2-3 days, to keep their stress levels low and give them time to get to know you - kitchens can be quite busy and noisy so he may be soiling from stress. After that slowly extend their run of the house and time spent out of their room. Some confident cats will be ready for full run of the house sooner, nervous ones will take longer. After at least 2 weeks (and during that time use a specific call for food) if he is confident in the house, let him out when he is hungry, he will then come back when you do your call (din-dins works for us).

hugoagogo Sat 03-Aug-13 18:03:32

I would be careful that the cat doesn't just learn to poo on paper! <bitter experience>

Cats tend to go keep going in the same spot, their smell stays even after cleaning, you can get special sprays that claim to eliminate the smell.

It really is very early days for him. A couple of accidents are to be expected.

MinkyWinky Sun 04-Aug-13 08:45:10

Does your covered litter tray have a flap on it? We had to remove ours as one of adopted cats couldn't get the hang of it/didn't like it. Once we removed the door (but left the lid on) he was fine.

inneed36 Sun 04-Aug-13 21:11:40

Hi, seems like removing the lid has worked! He has been lots in the tray now. Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated! He is a brilliant cat!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now