Would you tell a lie to rescue an animal?

(34 Posts)
FuckNugget Thu 01-Aug-13 19:38:55

Following on from the thread I started yesterday which brought up some interesting points about rescue centres that put (apparently) overly strict rules in place that would prevent potentially good owners from adopting:

would you lie to get around their rules in order to adopt a pet? If you wouldn't lie and you couldn't adopt, would you buy a pet instead?

I'm not saying I would do this by the way, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Corygal Fri 02-Aug-13 20:28:27

I had to sort of embroider the truth to get Mr Cory. The centre wouldn't accept offers from people who worked, so I said I was freelance (which I was about to become, anyway).

But while job was on I rushed back from work every day at lunch to check on him and do a quick cuddle and snack so he wasn't alone for hours. Sometimes he even woke upsmile

issey6cats Fri 02-Aug-13 19:20:14

nugget have a good holiday and hopefully you will at least come down and have a look round , the center is wall to wall moms and kittens at the moment nearly every pen seems to have a kitten or four lol

ChippingInHopHopHop Fri 02-Aug-13 18:32:35

FN - if the rules were 'general' like that (ie no under 5's/no rentals) and not 'cat based' I'd have no problem at all lying to them. If it was 'cat specific' then I wouldn't, no.

Our local paper is always full of cats needing adopting, I'd love to adopt a couple but I wont have cats here, not enough garden and on a busy road.

Just need to win the lottery so I can move grin

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 18:24:10

I have contacted cpl, but sounds like they are no better. Issey, I am on holiday (in the uk) this week but I will call your shelter when I am home if that's ok? I would love to provide a home to one of the cats or kittens that you have there smile.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 18:21:06

These are the rules for all their cats and kittens hmm. I will never be able to adopt from them ever while I am living in my current home. I am surprised they approve anyone at all with the rules they have confused.

I think shelters are inadvertently creating a problem by being too strict. If someone is unable to adopt, they will probably buy a kitten and the owner who hasn't spayed/neutered their cats is encouraged to allow their cats more kittens as they are profiting. If it had been a case of matching a cat's personality, then fine. But they have said a flat 'no' without even finding out about what we could offer a cat/what cat would suit us.

Happy birthday issey, sounds like a lovely way to spend your birthday flowers. I may end up coming to your shelter, your rules seem the most sensible I've heard of so far smile.

tobiasfunke Fri 02-Aug-13 18:17:49

Op- that's rubbish. Same reasons as we were given.
Our CP shelter is now closed to new admissions as it has so many cats.

I was talking to my 2 work colleagues yesterday about this. One said she lied to her local CP as they wouldn't consider anyone doing over 20 hours work a week and she was doing 25.
The other was told that if she wanted a kitten from her local shelter she had to visit twice a week until the kittens were ready to be rehomed in 6 weeks. She couldn't because she works 40 miles away from her home. She ended up getting pedigrees. It is total madness.

cozietoesie Fri 02-Aug-13 18:17:29

Oh I don't know, issey - you're two short by my reckoning?

wink

issey6cats Fri 02-Aug-13 18:06:11

catneuterer i didnt make the no two girl adult cats rule , i think they have had a few failures so decided that safer to say a younger male or either sex kitten ,

was over there today decided to spend my birthday surrounded by cats and kittens, the children under 5 issue, today at the center there were probaly 5 or 6 kittens that could cope in a kiddies house as they are confident outgoing kittens, but there are 4 that no way would they tolerate children far to timid, nearly ended up with one myself, one of the foster moms brought back a georgous tabby mom and her 3 tabby kittens, 2 are reserved now to a young couple who came in this afternoon and the 3rd one the little girl attached herself to me every time i went in the pen, god it was so hard to walk away, but i have 4 cats and a dog already i dont want any more and cant afford any more, she wont be there long cos she is georgous

lljkk Fri 02-Aug-13 17:57:28

And no offense to people (fosterers & rescuers) doing a labour of love for no other recompense, but a lot of time, foster conditions aren't great. Before we got them, our kits were kept in a pen in the garage 23.5 hours a day. CPL gushed about what a wonderful foster carer she was, so that was obviously fantastic conditions as far as they were concerned. It feels like a mismatch with the very high standards some rescues seem to expect of would-be adopters.

LingDiLong Fri 02-Aug-13 17:49:02

It does seem daft. We recently got a rescue cat and they basically match the right cat to the right family so some aren't suitable for under 10s, some are ok for over 5s. Some need to be somewhere quiet, others are ok by a busyish road. I live near a busy road and childmind but the rescue was fine with that.

Although our local rescue is absolutely drowning in cats and kittens at the moment, they have 40+ kittens plus older cats. They're having to use fosterers and private catteries to house them all.

lljkk Fri 02-Aug-13 17:48:00

Don't despair, their loss!!
When I had rescue rats (yes the sort of animal most people would rather take a shovel to) I had to sign loads of forms promising to take care of them in such-n-such way. And basically they weren't my property, they remained property of the rescue.

Funny part is when I got in touch to mention when a rat died they seemed disinterested, I didn't even tell them when last few who died. They didn't chase that up; high ideals not put into practice.

confuddledDOTcom Fri 02-Aug-13 17:47:05

It depends on what. If I could have my time again I wouldn't have told them that we took on the cat that died because his brother was killed in an accident. It was nothing to do with us, we took him on because he needed the extra attention that we could give. Saying that, I wouldn't have given up the two we got that we wouldn't have otherwise.

Are they saying it's just kittens that would be a problem (which I do understand), or does that cover adult cats too?

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 17:21:23

I'm really annoyed about this even though I was expecting it. I feel like emailing and saying that I think they are being unfair. Come and meet us and look at what we have to offer a kitten before saying no, I would be fine with that. I know it's nothing personal but I also feel it is unfair in some ways to the cats/kittens they have. Unless they are unique in some way and have 100% adoption rates but with rules like theirs, I really doubt it. They must be denying perfectly good homes to the cats that they have if they'd only look beyond their ridiculous rules sad.

lljkk Fri 02-Aug-13 17:17:59

Definitely try another shelter, we had to shop around because of the 3yo. My cats have the most fantastic life.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 16:56:39

*cats obviously not cars. Stupid phone.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 16:53:40

sparkling, no it was an independent shelter. I've contacted cpl and they were meant to call today but didn't.

The road directly outside is quiet. It's a private road and we live opposite a farm with loads of fields. There is a road further up that is busier but it's not that close? Not sure which road they meant. Interestingly the house I am in now was the house I grew up in, many cars have lived here and all died of old age, never injured on the roads hmm.

Sparklingbrook Fri 02-Aug-13 16:36:57

Was it Cats' Protection FN?

lljkk Fri 02-Aug-13 16:35:44

Put a wanted notice on your FB.
How busy is the nearest road?

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 16:33:44

Spoke too soon. Just received an email from the shelter to say we don't meet their requirements on 2 points, too close to road hmm and we have young DC sad. Obviously there are so many people wanting to rescue kittens that they can turn people away for fairly minor reasons (IMO).

lljkk Fri 02-Aug-13 16:29:43

I would probably try to find a pet thru local free ads instead, word of mouth type thing.
I do think most rescues are too strict. We had similar problems getting a cat when my youngest was not yet 4yo, too. CPL were fine to let us have them once they had a homevisit. So I dare say try a different cat rescue if no joy with first 1.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 16:21:50

*legible=flexible

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 16:18:45

Thanks everyone for your really interesting input on this.

I think in my situation, it's not that the shelter are trying to match up pets with particular people, rather that there is a blanket ban on certain families, like those in rented or with young children. The kitten I am interested in may or may not be good with children, but they won't consider us regardless because we have a child under 5. If the rule were legible and it was just a case of matching the right animal with the family, then I think this is different.

I have sent all my details to the rescue now and explained that our DC are very used to cats and have been taught how to handle them. Hopefully they will be flexible with their rules and allow us the chance to adopt but if not, I will go through another shelter that is ok with us having young DC.

I will update when I know more, fingers crossed that we can adopt him though smile.

LingDiLong Fri 02-Aug-13 13:52:40

No I wouldn't. Firstly, you'd be found out when they do a home visit, and secondly most rules at most rescue centres are there for a good reason.

You've got to consider that as good as your 2.6 year old might be with cats there are still things about a 2.6 year olds that might stress a cat out - just normal loud playing or tantrums could really upset some cats. You can't just assume the centre have said a particular cat isn't suitable for under 5s for YOUR benefit in case it scratches your child. It could be that it's for the cat's benefit.

I frequently not only lie, but also break the law to rescue animals, but I don't think that's the sort of scenario you're talking about.

Generally I wouldn't recommend lying to a rescue centre, as they have rules for a reason. Although I might be tempted to lie about some of the particularly silly sounding ones - such as the centre we were discussing the other day that won't rehome to people in rented accommodation. If we did that we'd never home any cats. And Issey really? Two adult females together is a problem? It's not a problem I've ever experienced and we often rehome a second female to a home already with an adult female, with no more problems that with any other combination.

But generally I wouldn't recommend lying to a rescue centre as most of their rules are in place for a good reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now