Kittens' first time outside...

(12 Posts)
GetStuffezd Thu 01-Aug-13 15:59:43

I have 2 cats aged 12 and 13 months. I've just moved house from a busy street on a big road, to a quiet farm cottage in the middle of nowhere with a big garden. So absolutely no excuse to not let them out.
Well, today was their first time outside. I was shitting myself but they absolutely adored it. The ginger boy in particular was racing about the garden like a nutcase! Anyway, I eventually got them back in and they're relaxing after their escapades.

How do I get to the point when I'm ready to let them come and go as they please? I'm ridiculously scared! Should I let them out again tomorrow? I'm on holiday for five weeks so lots of time to do this gradually.

Thanks!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-Aug-13 16:27:28

I'd always keep them in overnight but just always let them out hungry so they come when called, I use chews as a coming home treat.

GetStuffezd Thu 01-Aug-13 16:33:36

Thanks! Yes they definitely will be coming in every night. The girl is now crying to go back out. Bloody hell, the guilt! grin

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-Aug-13 16:52:59

One day they'll go over the fence.

I bet I'm not the only one here who ran upstairs so she could still see him wink

GetStuffezd Thu 01-Aug-13 17:13:55

grin
One of mine did crawl through the wire fence into the field behind. Luckily he was scared of the cows and horses so came back pretty quickly. Out back is fine as it's just fields and garden, but at the front there's a big drive that's access for tractors and other residents' vehicles...and a road. Admittedly it's not a main or busy road....but still!

issey6cats Thu 01-Aug-13 17:46:36

one thing to look out for now they will be going out and you have cows nearby is to check for ticks as animal fields attract them and not nice on cats, the only time we lived near a farm my ginger girl came home with a huge one on her face

GetStuffezd Thu 01-Aug-13 17:48:02

Urgh issey, how horrible! Thanks for the heads up. They have stopped crying now so I feel less horrible. I'm going to let them out for a few hours tomorrow.

GetStuffezd Fri 02-Aug-13 14:40:22

Well, the garden has been fully cut down now, giving themloads of space to play in. But no - naturally they want to go up trees and in the horse field! grin
Been out for another hour or so today and will do so again this evening. Just working up to being out all day without me watching. (Yes, this staggered approach is totally for my benefit!)

cozietoesie Fri 02-Aug-13 14:55:45

Have they got a cat flap to come in - or somewhere to shelter? They're going to get a heck of a shock when their first rainstorm comes along so it might be as well to get them used to any arrangements beforehand.

smile

GetStuffezd Sat 03-Aug-13 07:56:41

Yes there's a cat flap but I've kept it locked so far.
I took my morning coffee outside and one of the wild farm cats came up to me and was SO friendly, a beautiful tabby. I was sitting on the grass when suddenly she pounced and emerged with a squealing shrew in her mouth! (Which it promptly took off and murdered.) Can't wait til mine catch their first mice!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 03-Aug-13 08:25:45

You won't say that when you have mice running around the house leaving droppings and weeing everywhere while the cats studiously ignore the mouse with a look of "yes, it's a mouse, you catch it this time though there's a love"

GetStuffezd Sat 03-Aug-13 08:34:19

Oh god, dont'!! I've been on that mycatisadick website someone posted on here and there are some truly awful pictures of cats standing proudly over dead squirrels and weasels, etc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now