How to groom an uncooperative long haired cat

(11 Posts)
Tabby1963 Fri 02-Aug-13 08:19:22

Definitely a vet visit for sedation and clipping. My long hair, Tabby, (a previous stray) was done this way regularly. He would not let anyone touch his tummy area and got very distressed. Otherwise he was the most wonderful, gentle cat in the world. He lived to a ripe old age, 18 years, and I still miss him dearly.

cozietoesie Fri 02-Aug-13 07:49:42

I think it's important to make it an enjoyable experience for them. When I first got Seniorboy, for example, he hadn't been groomed for 13 years. I had to train him gradually over two or three weeks by making his groom part of his nightly love in - and now I just have to yell 'Groooooom' and brandish his grooming brush and he's leaping on me and presenting himself for the fun.

Start from a good place though - I'd get him sedated and clipped before you make a fresh start. No fun having snarls tugged.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 01-Aug-13 17:49:43

Furminator! Grab by the scruff of the neck so that they don't move, and groom quickly. We got an entire carrier bag full of hair off our grey long furred beauty the other day!

SchrodingersFanny Wed 31-Jul-13 23:02:01

We have had him sedated and clipped once. All his belly as that was worse.

We have a zoom groom. I might try with oven gloves on or something! Our short haired cats love being groomed!

Wolfiefan Wed 31-Jul-13 22:51:04

If he is really knotty, you may need a sedation and groom or even clipping. If you are trying to keep a cat knot free (rather than pulling knots out) there will be much less pain both for animal and owner!
Our long haired girl was a nightmare. (Think trapping her in the loo, sitting on her and forcing her to be brushed!) I started using a brush when I stroked her. (Stroke, stoke, brush, quick stroke before they realise what's up!) I also let her rub her face against the brush to mark it then brushed round her face. (Loves that!) Catnip!
With regards to what to use: I prefer a comb as it reaches to undercoat. Long teeth. Wide space between teeth so it doesn't catch. Best one ever has teeth that rotate so it stops you getting comb caught in fur.
Good luck!

Thesimplethings Wed 31-Jul-13 22:50:09

I was going to suggest clipping cat too. Other than that no idea if it won't cooperate. Pet groomers?

Bakingtins Wed 31-Jul-13 22:48:36

Then once it is Matt free, a Zoom Groom.

Bakingtins Wed 31-Jul-13 22:47:44

Vet. Sedation. Clippers.

SchrodingersFanny Wed 31-Jul-13 22:45:58

Believe me the deep search he's given me on the palm of my hand this evening it is tempting!

NandH Wed 31-Jul-13 22:44:31

Shave it grin

kidding, I don't know much about cats, just couldn't resist

SchrodingersFanny Wed 31-Jul-13 22:42:00

We have a long haired boy, roughly 12-15 years old. We adopted him a few years ago. He was obviously cared for once, but when found was matted, lice ridden etc.

We need to groom him, but he will only permit you to groom along his spine. But he gets so matted and knotted. I have many scratches and bites as a result of trying!

We have tried lots of brushes. And suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now