Feeling guilty about wanting a pedigree cat. Any advice?

(110 Posts)
FuckNugget Wed 31-Jul-13 21:50:09

I have wanted to get a kitten/cat as a family pet for a long time but only recently been able to do so.

I decided I would get a litter pair from a rescue shelter. I've been looking at a few locally and reading their adoption rules. This has ruled out some places but I have been keeping my eye on the kittens/cats they have available.

However, I have also been googling a lot on cars and kittens and came across an advert for the most beautiful BSH kitten not too far from us. I've areanged to go and see it soon. I know I will fall in love with it and probably buy it.

I feel so guilty for this sad. There are hundreds of cats languishing in shelters across the country and I could have provided a good home to two but instead I'm buying a kitten from a breeder.

Should I cancel going to see the kitten and go ahead with my plan to adopt? Or is it ok to want a pedigree? I won't be breeding from it either, will have the cat neutered as soon as it's old enough.

FuckNugget Thu 01-Aug-13 23:54:25

Ah, ok. That sounds good. I told cpl that I didn't mind which sex but I shall tell them that a boy would be best.

I can see BSH being the boss, she does a mean grumpy face grin.

BerylStreep Thu 01-Aug-13 23:56:29

Hope you have a hard hat.

I got an absolute flaming on here about 2 years ago for (naively) saying I wanted a pedigree cat. Things got a bit heated.

Anyway, I ended up with 2 Burmese - rehomed the mummy, and bought her kitten. They are simply wonderful (well apart from the bird catching, poo wiping, and nail varnish smashing smile).

Go for the cats you want. I have grown up with cats all my life, and my two Burmese are by far the most sociable and affectionate cats we have ever had.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 00:09:07

Beryl, in fairness I fully expected a roasting but I think posters have actually been quite kind. I would have taken it on the chin, however, because I actually agree with the reasons for not buying a cat when there are so many waiting adoption. I don't know if I have this wrong, but I don't think buying a pedigree dog as opposed to a mongrel is seen as bad as buying a pedigree cat?

In any event, I'm a total hypocrite as I just today put a deposit down on a BSH grin. Whilst I do feel guilty in many ways for doing this, she is a beautiful and affectionate cat from a responsible breeder and as long as she is loved and well cared for then that is the main thing IMO. I am going to adopt a rescue kitten alongside though if I can find a shelter that will allow it smile.

My grandmother has Burmese cats, they were absolutely lovely. And it's great to hear from someone who is happy with their decision to have pedigree cats flowers.

issey6cats Fri 02-Aug-13 00:25:01

nugget people care about cats on here and like any subject you will get people who condemm pedigree buying because they see the heartache behind rescue from working with rescue cats, and you will get the people who will only like pedigrees because you almost know what you are getting, pedigrees more predictable, i would give my right arm for a pedigree siamese cat but my budget is way out to afford one, so when blue came into the center at 7 months and he is definitely half siamese, i not only fell in love with him instantly he is probably the nearest i will ever got to my ideal cat

BerylStreep Fri 02-Aug-13 00:33:11

In fairness, the breeder I got mine off clearly was doing it for the love of the breed rather than money. She was adorable, and I got the mummy for free, as she rehouses her queens after only 2 litters as she thinks it is unhealthy for them to have more than that. There is other stuff about her, that is just too identifying, but she is lovely.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 00:41:26

I agree totally issey. When I began to seriously think about getting a cat as the time is now 'right', I was adamant that I would only get a rescue cat. It was only when I realised that some shelters make it very hard to adopt that I began perusing the local ads online, not with any seriousness though, I definitely didn't want to pay £60-£70 to an irresponsible person who was profiting from their own negligence as a pet owner by not having their pet neutered angry.

It was just this particular kitten that had me smitten and I did that dangerous thing of 'oh, it won't hurt to see if it's still available'. Once the seed was planted though, it started seeming more acceptable. The breeder did say that sometimes she gets kittens that can't be sold for any number of reasons and she'd be happy to let me have one as a companion for the kitten I have bought. Whilst the offer is tempting, I would still really like to adopt a rescue cat. And I can honestly say, both will be loved equally.

It must be so difficult to work in an animal shelter and see the irresponsibility of some people. Just looking through the ads, there are so many people selling young adult cats which is so sad considering how many are in rescues as well sad.

FuckNugget Fri 02-Aug-13 00:47:53

Beryl, your breeder sounds very responsible. Whilst I struggled with my conscience over this, I wouldn't have given any money to an irresponsible breeder as then I would be supporting their practises.

tabulahrasa Fri 02-Aug-13 01:02:24

Nope dog people can be just as flamey as cat people - I have cats and a dog, lol.

Yes it's great to rescue - but if you think a certain breed is right for you, you can't always find what you're after in a rescue.

The important thing I think is to make sure you're not then becoming part of the problem by giving money to someone who is breeding the wrong way or irresponsibly. Responsible breeders are willing to take pets they've bred back at any point in their life for any reason, because they care what happens to them - that means that hopefully the rescue situation doesn't suffer because of them.

The more people that know how to find a good breeder the better because that makes it harder for people churning them out any old way to make money.

I've got a wee tabby, she's very sweet, but she's not as well suited to me as my Siamese...not because she doesn't have a pedigree, but because she's well, catlike, lol, she goes off doing cat things most of the day, comes home for food and I'm only allowed to stroke her when she decides she wants me to. My Siamese follows me round talking to me all day, ready to drape herself on me at every available opportunity, I like that, clearly I'm needy, lol.

When both my girls are gone, it'd be another Siamese I'd want - and I will try to get a rescue one, but if I can't find one that suits my situation at the time, I'll go to a good breeder.

cozietoesie Fri 02-Aug-13 07:37:03

As I said at the beginning, some of us love the characteristics of a particular breed. For myself, it's Siamese. I was given my first Siamese more years ago than I care to remember and for me they've been friends ever since. Sure I've had other cats - The Lodger, for example, was a wonderful boy who we took off the street. He wasn't a Siamese though - wasn't a shadow to me, a constant flipping pain in the neck companion like Seniorboy currently is. Some breeds of cat are just different.

As with tabulah , I'll probably go for a breed rescue when Seniorboy goes - or find another responsible breeder if there are no rescue cats needing homes. (Getting a cat from a good breeder isn't always that easy, by the way, be your cheque book ever so ready to hand. Took me months (and several interviews) to persuade Oneago's breeder to let me have one of her kits.)

Best of luck with your new kit when she comes.

SilverOldie Fri 02-Aug-13 19:02:26

I've always had rescue cats and could never justify to myself buying from a breeder. BUT, I have always yearned after a korat cat www.cfa.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/Korat.aspx

I believe one of my cats may have had some korat in him, grey banded fur and although I've loved each of my cats, he was so affectionate, intelligent and beautiful and I still miss him.

I don't think I will ever weaken but it doesn't stop me wanting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now