best way to administer tablets

(32 Posts)
meatloaf Wed 31-Jul-13 12:54:03

I need to give me cat a worming tablet next week, it will be my first ever.

She's not into food so won't be able to hide it in anything. What way do you administer yours? Just looked on YouTube and they show 1 person holding and another opening the mouth and putting the tablet in - I am on my own and don't have another adult to help.

Help!

allmycats Mon 05-Aug-13 16:07:12

Just use the liquid rub on you can get from the vet.

GigiDarcy Tue 06-Aug-13 12:49:59

Quick thread hijack, sorry! Giving our elderly cat a quarter tablet a day of antibiotics. My dad is the only one who can get a tablet down her (until recently she lived with him) so vet suggested crushing it and putting it in food. Any food ideas? Her favourite is cheese but tried that this am (first day of tablets) and she ate the 'non contaminated' bits.

Help please for an awkward kitty! It's for her gums as she has lost a tooth so needs softer food ideas, shame, she loves treat sticks.

cozietoesie Tue 06-Aug-13 13:02:26

No help at all, I'm afraid, Gigi. My older boy won't touch a tablet however I try to disguise it so the vet gives him AB jabs. Sparingly, because we don't like to throw ABs at him willy nilly. (Maybe if you have problems, your vet could reconsider and do that?)

deliasmithy Tue 06-Aug-13 13:16:30

Ime most cats dont fall for the crushed pill in food trick as they can smell it or the first taste of it makes them wise up.

This is a 2 man job, but DH holds cat firmly and opens her mouth, i lob in pill followed by a teeny squirt of water from a pipette. No choice but to swallow...

soon as she licks her nose we know it's gone down.

moonbells Thu 08-Aug-13 09:52:08

Our new cats went for their welcome visit to the vet's yesterday and since it was almost 3 months since their last worming tabs (before we got them), they decided to give one there and then.

Cue half the vet staff trying to get pill down mummycat. DH got scratched, vet got scratched... she was Not Happy. They managed it in the end with a towel, two humans hanging on for dear life and a pill pipette thing.

There were very rude words from mummycat on the way home. Kittencat was fine and much better behaved. Then again he's only 1.7kg at the moment, she's 4kg of attitude and claws.

I am thinking drops next time, since DH has kindly pointed out that in 3 months it's my turn to take them...

londonchick Thu 08-Aug-13 15:12:37

Our cat has 2 tablets a day. Prawn flavour primula does the job. She loves it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now