new home, missing cat

(16 Posts)
Sasso Wed 31-Jul-13 11:08:25

We moved our cats to our new home on Friday and have kept them inside since then. Today one got out of the front door that a workman left open. He's VERY nervous and workmen send him into a blind panic so he was probably in a right old state and I fear he may have scarpered some distance. We live on a London terrace and I've been walking up and down the street calling him. I'm wondering if he would be able to recognise this house that he's just moved to and find his way home.

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 11:37:14

Oh dear - possibly not. Is he chipped?

Melissakitkat Wed 31-Jul-13 11:48:52

Right - leaflet the street and any backing on to you - he may be hiding in a garden.

Put very smelly food out (think fish, tuna, mackerel) the smell might entice him back. Consider putting your other one in a cat box and leaving outside of an evening - the sound of your cat miowing may make him realise where you live. Put a blanket and if you have any dust in your Hoover from the last house over it and put in out again smell may entice him back. Contact a local cat rescue and ask to borrow a cat trap. Do all these things as well at night - dusk is when scared cats re-surface! Call for him & rattle biscuits at dusk as the sound will travel.

Don't give up - our very timid cat escaped for his cat box in the vets car park 12miles from where we live - we did all these things - got a potential sighting on day 2 - 4 nights waiting in the area in the car - caught him on the 5th night! They will stay where there is food.

Hope he comes back xxx

Sasso Wed 31-Jul-13 12:21:40

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm working them right now and yes, he is microchipped.
Melissa, my other cat would scream the street down if I left him out in his box and I worry that would scare the missing one off for good.

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 12:30:08

Make sure the chip company has your new address etc and also let any local vets know that he's missing. (They're often the first contact for people who find a cat.) At the moment, though, he'll still be in good shape so people are likely to think he's just .... a cat they haven't seen before ....... if they see him, so the leafleting is a good idea.

Dusk is best for calling and searching - and check the backs of things and under bushes and so on. Cats go very small and quiet in those circumstances.

Have you made contact with neighbours yet given that you've just moved there? It's good to have lots of local eyes out.

Lots of luck. Poor him.

Might be a good idea to ask your neighbours to check car engines if he's not back tonight.

What Melissa said. Leaflet the whole street, including the houses on the next street with gardens adjoining yours, also ask them to check their sheds. And make sure you leave food out all the time. It's happened to me a number of times (either after letting out new cats after three weeks or sometimes when new cats escape early), and, with one exception, I've always got them back. Good luck

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 12:46:57

Just a point about the leafleting.

I used to oftentimes see posters up on lamposts etc round here and I would always take note in a general sort of way. But the one time I had a leaflet through my door (for a small animal but not a cat) I actually went round house and garden and checked round.

As it turned out, said animal was found shortly thereafter (he'd gone to ground in the owner's house, thankfully, and wasn't actually on the loose) but the leaflet certainly stirred me into action more than a poster.

prettybird Wed 31-Jul-13 12:53:18

If you've still not found him, put up notices in local newsagents and local supermarkets. If there are bigger supermarkets slightly further away, also put up notices there - people might go there to shop instead.

How far away from your old house are you? Is it worth putting up some notices and/or checking round there?

Sasso Wed 31-Jul-13 12:55:43

Ok, I feel more than a little foolish and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time, but I've just found him under the bed! I had looked there more than a few times, in fact I'd searched the house from top to bottom, but with all the boxes and general chaos from the move he's obviously found a himself a good little hidey hole (he's filthy too so maybe it's under the floorboards). I can't find the other cat now, but that's another story, and poor missing boy is even more freaked out now after my melt-down on discovering him.

eddiemairswife Wed 31-Jul-13 12:55:47

Try your old home and neighbours. They do attempt to get back to familiar surroundings.

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 12:58:52

Oh that's wonderful! Lots of treats and cuddles now, eh?

(And don't worry about wasting time or feeling foolish. We've all been there with that heart in mouth feeling, trust me. )

Best check the floorboards, though, just in case? wink

smile

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 12:59:27

Do you think Cat2 has found Cat1's hideyhole?

Sasso Wed 31-Jul-13 13:15:01

I reckon Cat 2's too fat to fit into Cat1's hidey hole but he has resurfaced on hearing the rustle of the biscuit bag.

Oh, the relief, I feel like I can continue with my life again!

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 13:20:42

smile

Melissakitkat Wed 31-Jul-13 15:35:36

Yeah! Am so glad you found him!!! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now