Is it possible to get rid of fleas in the garden?

(3 Posts)
teejwood Mon 29-Jul-13 21:21:20

We don't have a cat but a local moggie (has a collar and is well fed and watered so not a stray) likes prowling around our shady garden. I've seen it bite itself crazy recently and lo and behold, I ended up with a flea on my ankle when hanging out the washing at the w/e. DD, who was sitting playing on the grass, has been bitten several times, too.

Is there any way to kill/get rid of fleas in a garden without causing armageddon to friendly beasties? <hopeful but probably delusional>

Also - how much of a problem would we have if one came into the house on DD's clothes? Not that I am getting paranoid or anything but DD & I react badly to bug bites sad

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 29-Jul-13 22:37:25

Fleas don't breed in the garden so extremely unlikely it was a flea that bit you. Pets pick them up from contact with other cats, hedgehogs etc. so no you can't flea treatvthevgarden.

I would be very suspicious of a mossie.

frogwatcher42 Mon 29-Jul-13 22:40:25

There are fleas on most wild animals so no, you can't get rid of fleas in the outdoors! If moggy isn't bringing them into your garden the local rabbit, hedgehog or fox population will be.

There are many many other bugs that bite besides fleas. Especially if you sit in grass or walk through grass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now