Kitten has escaped from house!

(15 Posts)
itsnothingoriginal Thu 25-Jul-13 16:15:54

Is kitten into Dreamies? I'm teaching our 15 wk old kitten to come when the bag is rustled because like yours it's a matter of time before she escapes out of the house! Terrible time of year to have a kitten reactant go out yet isn't it.. roll on neutering grin

That's a great tip about the mesh moonbells

Hope kitten is home and safe now op

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 12:20:01

This is why I love Siamese. They're so incredibly bonded that they can't resist a call from their 'person'. My darling Twoago was the last boy I had who went out and he would come to his calling whistle within a couple of minutes without fail.

moonbells Thu 25-Jul-13 10:35:43

We rescued a kitten and his mum recently, and I spent the day before they arrived going round the house putting hook-side sticky velcro strips round the opening windows and then cutting a roll of insect mesh to size. Back of a spoon pressed against the mesh gets it tightly hooked on the velcro and then you have a window they can't escape out of, but you can open it and then put the mesh back in place.

Has been a boon in the heat this last week! No flies or missing cats. Just Mr Wall-of-Death shinnying up the nets and climbing the bookcases. It wouldn't surprise me if I found him in the ceiling lamp fittings. Nutter!
(DH managed to get an easy-release kitten collar on him yesterday, so at least we can now hear where he's got to.)

I can definitely recommend the mesh to stop further escapes.

WinterWinds Thu 25-Jul-13 10:25:58

I hope you managed to get him in the end.
We have had countless situations like this with our 11 month old kitten.
She has grown wise to our tactics and will outsmart us time and time again.

What we do now is keep a laser pen on hand, get her to chase it outside first then move it to closer to the door and into the house, making sure to close the door firmly behind her.
We carry on letting her chase the light in the house so she doesn't realise that she has been duped!!!

Never fails!

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:56:45

Have you got any chicken you could cook? (With an open window.)

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:08:41

Last time fluffy cat did this I got the car keys and went to unlock the garage, he loved the garage, and as I unlocked it dh snuck up behind him and grabbed him.

Do you have a garden shed? Empty cardboard box? Dart gun?

LegoAcupuncture Wed 24-Jul-13 21:04:48

Leave the back door open and see if he comes in, most cats will so don't worry too much. The fact he is still there and coming towards you is a good sign.

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:02:30

This is an occasion when I would use the hiss if it's getting dark with you.

Ooh no. sad My neighbour has a kitten about that age. She got through the catflap and was sat outside looking bewildered. She must have watched the other cats do it. shock

Neighbour had a good 15 minutes of what you are doing now. sad

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 20:57:09

Ignore him. Go back inside and have a G&T.

Aquamildred Wed 24-Jul-13 20:54:36

I'm sat outside with the phone, he thinks its the funniest game ever hmm I have food and treats.

Honestly I have never had a cat/kitten like him ever. I know on the dogs section someone calls their dog devil dog , well I think I have the cat version..

tabulahrasa Wed 24-Jul-13 20:49:26

I'd go sit outside with enticing food and wait until he comes to get some of it.

RandomMess Wed 24-Jul-13 20:48:47

Tempt him back inside by putting some fresh food out for him in his bowl just inside the door he's nearest?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:45:39

Oh bugger, keep trying. You'll tire him out in the end.

He cannot stay out overnight, he's too little to protect himself.

I reckon you've got an hour before dark at least.

Aquamildred Wed 24-Jul-13 20:25:37

He is 12 weeks old, dd had opened her window and he has jumped through it, he is fine, I keep seeing him but everytime we go near he kind of bounces towards us teasing us then shoots off.

I am presuming when he is hungry he will let us catch him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now