Injured cat.

(78 Posts)
alistron1 Tue 23-Jul-13 20:47:04

I last saw my cat (killing a bird!) on Sunday. I was starting to get worried about him when he turned up this evening limping and with a maggot infested wound on his tail.

We've taken him to the vets and he's had his tail cleaned, anti biotics, fluids and pain killers. He's in a nice basket at home and he's not a happy chap.

He can't support himself on his back legs - vet thinks it could be a broken pelvis. He's not presenting as being hit by a car though.

What on earth has happened to my poor boy?

everythinghippie29 Thu 25-Jul-13 10:49:54

Yay! glad he seems brighter today. I usually wrap a tablet in processed cheese roll it into a cat treat ball and they usually eat it up...probably not too healthy but gets the job done.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 11:59:56

Ah right - I should have read the title on the bookmark.

Seniorboy wouldn't be doing with it, anyway.

no, I think I just have an amenable cat cozie. It's the speed that I like. By the time she's realised she's swallowed it.

That said I have to do her Advocate today. I hate all the parting fur, squirty malarkey as much as she does.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 12:06:14

Now there I have no problems. All 'procedures' are done downstairs in the sitting room. Matter of factly. He knows that he just has to endure whatever it is and he'll soon get away and up to his bed.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 12:08:12

That excludes pills. He won't be doing with pills so the vet and I don't even bother with those.

Sparkling cat has that double layer fur going on and finding a patch of skin to squirt is really difficult. I do it while she is asleep.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 25-Jul-13 13:48:23

I struggle with advocate, I tried cutting a patch of fur but that didn't work either.

It would have been an ideal product for the chinchillas we had though.

I do worry that there's too much not on her skin Fluffy. No that I can see her skin. i still don't get exactly how it works. grin

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 25-Jul-13 16:03:00

It must be absorbed into the blood and poison the fleas that bite them I suppose.

I've found the pointy end of a tail comb parts fur better than fingers.

alistron1 Thu 25-Jul-13 18:21:42

Oh my cats hate flea drops! They run when they see the box! This is a liquid and I have to syringe it into his gob. That should be fun.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:57:07

Poor cat.

alistron1 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:35:41

He's managed a little bit of roast chicken and some kitten milk tonight. He's been spark out all day, which I guess is only to be expected. Little cat has also had roast chicken and is now bloody stuck on the shed roof.

Squirrelface Thu 25-Jul-13 20:55:22

Op, I mix the liquid painkiller in with her food. Do you have to syringe it in directly? I wouldn't have any fingers left if I tried that!

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 20:59:11

Just get it into them, however.

alistron1 Thu 25-Jul-13 21:13:37

Right, we're about to go in. Little cat has also been rescued from shed roof.

alistron1 Fri 26-Jul-13 21:05:25

So much good news!!

Number 1 - he likes the liquid pain killer

Number 2 - its apt, HE HAS POO'D

Number 3 - little cat is coming in again!!!

Much cat happiness tonight. thanks to all of you with your thoughts, advice and happy stories!! It's going to be a hard few weeks with the cage rest, but my big boy is going to be fine!! He's so much more normal today, what a brave boy.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Jul-13 21:11:03

Great stuff.

I don't know what painkiller you've been given but the last one I gave Seniorboy I tasted (Yes - I'm that involved) and it was neutral so he didn't mind it and obviously liked the effect so had good thoughts about the procedure.

Well done all.

smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Jul-13 21:12:56

Phew! does the painkiller go into his food or do you squirt it in his mouth?

He is indeed a brave boy.

Ooh brilliant news. smile

alistron1 Fri 26-Jul-13 22:07:03

It's Metacam - we squirt it into his mouth and he licks it off the syringe. He's an addict isn't her?!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Jul-13 22:09:23

I'm pretty sure our cats had that from when he fell off the conservatory but it was an injection.

He'll be sending small cat out to score for him while he's cage bound.

Squirrelface Fri 26-Jul-13 22:18:02

Great news - I'm glad he's making good progress!

cozietoesie Fri 26-Jul-13 22:32:01

I think ir was Metacam that I tasted. Yep - you have an addict.

grin

alistron1 Tue 30-Jul-13 12:56:43

Progress is still good - he had a check up yesterday and he's been upgraded from cage rest to having the run of the living room. He's walking really well, no obvious limp. But obviously he can't leap around like normal (yet!) We don't need to see the vet now for 2 weeks.

Compared to how he was a week ago it's nothing short of miraculous.

cozietoesie Tue 30-Jul-13 13:42:10

Good news.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now