Injured cat.

(78 Posts)
alistron1 Tue 23-Jul-13 20:47:04

I last saw my cat (killing a bird!) on Sunday. I was starting to get worried about him when he turned up this evening limping and with a maggot infested wound on his tail.

We've taken him to the vets and he's had his tail cleaned, anti biotics, fluids and pain killers. He's in a nice basket at home and he's not a happy chap.

He can't support himself on his back legs - vet thinks it could be a broken pelvis. He's not presenting as being hit by a car though.

What on earth has happened to my poor boy?

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 18:30:50

He's home and he's done a big wee!!! He's not impressed at the concept of cage rest!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Jul-13 18:37:56

grin

I can imagine cage rest isn't popular

bishboschone Wed 24-Jul-13 18:59:39

No it wasn't popular for mine either but he is 14 and more happy to sleep. Good luck . smile

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:03:55

He's groggy and drugged up so is willing to sleep. I can see fun times ahead when he's feeling better!

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:25:20

New problem - younger cat is freaked out by big cat being in a cage and won't come in? What should I do?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:39:16

Nothing, small cat will get used to it.

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:52:25

I'm now paranoid in case he runs off and gets run over too.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:54:11

Sorry, did you mean the cat is outside the house?

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:59:29

Small cat won't bloody come in. Tried treats and cuddles and he ran off. He took one look at poorly cat and ran outside.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:06:34

Ours freaked out one night and wouldn't come in we had to drive from the SW to the midlands to get him and he'd been asleep under a shrub all night.

Can you hide the injured boy so the house looks relatively normal? Does the cat flap have an in only setting?

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:26:40

Stay up and play some Bach or Handel on loud speaker. I know that sounds like madness but they like formal music.

Here's a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtF27_1d6s

(OK - it's Mozart.)

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:31:07

Sorry - was so upset that they'd removed Janet Baker's best one that I forgot to make that clickable.

Here you go.

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:44:47

Do you think Wagner might work?!

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:51:14

PMSL

everythinghippie29 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:51:30

Hope your little guy gets better soon! Sending him lots of love. Think you might be referring to my sad post about missing boy above, as much as I wish I was looking after a banged up kitty rather than the real situation right now, it still must be awful for you seeing your cat hurting. Get well soon kitty.thanks

xxx

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:55:05

Oh everything, that's so kind of you and I'm so sorry about your cat.

Little cat came in for food, took one look at poorly cat and ran out again. I'm going to try ignoring him pointedly instead of trying to make a fuss of him. Reverse cat psychology. And then I'll turn on the Wagner.

cozietoesie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:58:26

Hope you have nice neighbours.

alistron1 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:59:48

They're away, and even if they weren't its a cat emergency ;)

Squirrelface Thu 25-Jul-13 00:43:11

My cat had a broken pelvis earlier this year - I found her in the morning unable to put any weight on her hind legs (she managed to fracture it whilst shut in the kitchen overnight, so goodness knows what she was doing). As the fracture was on a non-weight bearing part of the pelvis, the treatment was 6 weeks cage rest. Apparently the bones start to knit together again quite quickly if their movement is restricted. She was a little bit wobbly when she first came out of the cage, as the muscles weaken when they are kept confined for so long. We gave her access to just one room to start with, but within a week of regaining her freedom she was back to her daft old self.

We had the same worry about whether the bowel was damaged as there was nothing produced for 5 days. She had to have an enema to clear her out, as she couldn't manage when it was painful to stand up. The vet sent her home with a bottle of lactulose and I've never been so pleased to see a little poo in the litter tray! I then had to phone the vet every morning for a week with a report on the latest bowel movement!

I hope your puss makes a good recovery - and that the other one has come in now!

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Jul-13 08:16:21

How's the patient this morning?

kittykarate Thu 25-Jul-13 09:45:11

Could your little cat be freaked out because the other one smells of the V E T? Also it might see the other one caged and think "Shit we're all off to get jabs again"

Anyway I hope the patient is more chirpy this morning, and that little cat settles down.

alistron1 Thu 25-Jul-13 09:53:15

The patient is progressing well! The vet doesn't need to see him until Monday. We're just waiting for him to poo ( the cat not the vet) Little cat still spooked, I think it's just going to be a case of time.

So glad to hear of other cats recovering well from this injury.

Any tips on how to give oral pain relief to a cat?

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Jul-13 10:05:33

Ooh so far so good. smile Hope for cat poo soon.

Have you got one of these gizmos? Got mine from the vet. Very easy to use.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 10:09:09

What the heck is that, Sparkling? It looks like some Victorian implement of destruction.

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Jul-13 10:28:23

grin It is a pill giver cozie. You clip the pill in at the end but the pointy bit in cat's mouth and push the syringry bit down, It jettisons the tablet down the cats throat before they have realised. grin I have had success with it, but it may not be for all cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now