Should we take these cats?

(29 Posts)
Poledra Fri 12-Jul-13 23:29:39

DH and I have been thinking about getting a cat for a while now (I've mused upon it on this very board grin). Now, a friend of a friend is emigrating, and needs to find a home for her two cats. They're neutered toms, about 10 years old, brothers and currently in good health. They are living with children, so our 3 DCs shouldn't be too much of a shock for them. The only thing I'm wondering is if the cats are too old to rehome? I wanted adult cats, but also don't want to get cats that will shuffle off this mortal coil too soon!
Thanks for your help.

Poledra Mon 22-Jul-13 09:59:17

Just to let you know, we brought the boys home on Friday. I took them into the room we had ready for them and left them at about 4pm. By 10pm, I had a lap full of furry cat, curled up sleeping smile It was a bit warm, but I didn't want to move him as he'd shown such trust in me. By yesterday, the moggies were happily coming into the livingroom with all the DDs there, finding themselves a spot and settling down. DD1 was so delighted when one of them came and curled up next to her when she was sitting watching TV after her younger sisters had gone to bed on Saturday night.

Now we need to decide how long to go without letting them out - they are desperate to get outside. One in particular has spent lots of time sitting looking mournfully out the catflap (it's transparent, but locked right now) and every so often hopefully headbutting it in case it opens. He's also been sitting on the windowsill looking out. Whaddya think? DH thinks we should maybe risk them outside at the end of the week...

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 22-Jul-13 10:14:14

I think cats protection advise 4 weeks inside a new home. They can look out of the window to learn the layout of the street.

You must be so pleased.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Jul-13 12:41:39

Great that it's working out so far, Poledra.

smile

loraflora Mon 22-Jul-13 15:37:07

Great to hear that the cats are already starting to make friends with your family and it doesn't sound like they're at all stressed out at the change (well, apart from wanting to go out). I seem to recall my cat's rescue charity suggesting three weeks indoors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now