Spiky Fur

(22 Posts)
crazynanna Fri 05-Jul-13 20:09:43

Thankyou smile

Frenchfemme Fri 05-Jul-13 18:23:50

So glad all is OK!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 04-Jul-13 17:10:32

It's true, you can't help worrying over them. Glad she's ok, her teeth had to be done sometime anyway.

crazynanna Thu 04-Jul-13 13:02:06

Thankyou stinky smile

Sounds so wrong typing that name grin

stinkyfluffycat Thu 04-Jul-13 12:55:11

Was just coming in to say "moulting!" but I see you're sorted. Give her an extra cuddle from me.

crazynanna Thu 04-Jul-13 12:54:59

smile

Thank you cozie. Am awaiting 2pm so can have a sneaky glass of vino before the teen gets home.

Poppy is being Poppy, by now sitting in the cat box after it took me 45 mins to get her in it this morning hmm

cozietoesie Thu 04-Jul-13 12:49:27

Excellent. And you'd have had to go at some time for the tooth cleaning anyway so all worked out well.

smile

Now put your feet up and enjoy the afternoon off!

crazynanna Thu 04-Jul-13 12:22:34

Nothing wrong! <and breath> smile

It is her adult coat growing in combined with seasonal malting.

Vet said it is usually not noticed on a short-hair, but he said "except when an owner is a bit attached..." and looked at me over his glasses blush

Oh well...can't help loving her. She's a cool cat

Had her teeth cleaned whilst there, as per yearly stipulation of the insurance policy. <more a teeth check they require, but I just had them cleaned anyway, and he just charged me for the consultation..out of pity>

Thankyou for listening fellow Litterers.... I am so glad you guys are here smile

redrubyshoes Wed 03-Jul-13 16:27:10

this is a good site

Also do you have a slicker brush? That really gets down to the undercoat and my cat loves it. I get brush loads out every day and she has not had a fur ball for over a year.

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 16:10:13

Yes redruby, she is malting like mad. When attacking her plastic bags, there is a cloud of hair.

redrubyshoes Wed 03-Jul-13 15:45:15

I have to brush my elderly cat every day otherwise her fur goes spiky and 'oily'. She does have trouble grooming herself now as she had a spinal lesion last year that affected her mobility but as your cat is young and healthy that won't be the case.

Probably just her summer moult going on.

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 15:41:22

grin fluffy

I was thinking this is a development thing. It just sort of stands up, like she looks a bit scruffy. But I have heard loads of times that the coat change can mean illness, so I am going to take her tomorrow to the vet, who lobbed off her ovaries and whom Poppy won't forget wink

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 03-Jul-13 13:40:34

Is he getting a more adult coat? Our chinchilla Persians went outrageously fluffy after a couple of years.

Like clouds with legs and attitude.

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 12:29:59

Thankyou. I will smile

Frenchfemme Wed 03-Jul-13 12:28:44

What cozie says! It never hurts to get her checked over, and much better use of a day being with your cat than your manager! Please come back tomorrow and let us know how she is (and how you're enjoying your absence from work).

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 12:18:27

I know cozie..you're right. I shall probably be tutting tomorrow about the waste of money seeing the vet 'cos she's fine smile

I just love her so much, is all. Maybe a bit too much, but she is my only pet, and I have had her from 9 weeks, and she is cool.

I'm sure it's nothing.

cozietoesie Wed 03-Jul-13 12:15:09

Goodness - stay calm crazynanna. She's eating, drinking and using her tray fine which are all good signs. You're just checking up is all.

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 12:11:28

Appointment made for tomorrow morning. Have took an emergency annual leave from work just now, to much sniggering from my manager about "wasting a day's holiday on a cat" <twat> <rather the cat than be with her>

Oh please make it be nothing. Please. I won't sleep tonight sad

cozietoesie Wed 03-Jul-13 12:03:20

It will relieve your mind, crazynanna. When you're close to a cat, changes which are not apparent to the outside world strike you very quickly.

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 11:56:07

oh no sad

Frenchfemme Wed 03-Jul-13 11:55:28

I would take her to the vet just to be sure - probably nothing but changes in coat can be the first sign that cats are unwell.

crazynanna Wed 03-Jul-13 11:48:40

I am sure this topic has been done before, but I can't find a thread smile

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about <hopeful>, but my Poppy's fur has sort of 'changed'. She is a black/tortie moggy <the best>, and her coat is officially short-haired, but is I would say quite 'ample' and maybe a bit mid-length. Last few days, I have noticed it has changed from being laying flat to 'spiking' a bit. Not just down the spine, but practically all over. On her head, and on her back hunches when she is crouching/lying down. It isn't that noticeable, but it is to me as I know every hair on her wink

I know it can be a sign of dehydration, but she is drinking/eating fine, and weeing fine (mix of wet/dry food). I also read it is a sign of anticipation/anxiety/fright, but she is an indoor cat (outdoor access available but she's not that bothered), and we are not decorating or anything and nothing has changed in human or cat routines.

Could it just be her normal 'development' as such? She is nearly 2 so is moving into full adulthood, so maybe her fur is changing like human hair does with age? <shrugs>

Am I missing something, or being just a PFC nutter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now