14 week old male kitten weeing on bed and in handbag...

(12 Posts)
riojabotherer Tue 25-Jun-13 19:52:30

We have two 14 week old kittens (brother and sister) who get on famously and are fit and well. They were litter trained when we brought them home and they've continued to use the tray without incident.

They sleep downstairs at night and have the run of the house during the day, but our bedroom is out of bounds (obviously this makes it their favourite place to play). They both seem happy, very affectionate and pretty much part of the family. A few weeks ago I found a suspect yellow patch on our bed, and this week I'm pretty sure our male kitten had a wee in my lovely handbag, which has offended me greatly. Tonight I caught him finishing a nice long wee on my bed. Not amused!

I wonder if his hormones are starting to kick in but I had a conversation with our vet today who warned against early neutering in males due to results of recent research (concerns about stunt growth I think). She's quite happy to spay our female kitten at 18 weeks.

Any ideas? Is he marking his territory or is he secretly unhappy, do you think?

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 20:18:20

What are your current official toileting arrangements, rioja ? (ie how many trays do you have, what sort of litter and how do they access them?)

riojabotherer Tue 25-Jun-13 20:31:32

Thanks for replying, Cozie.

They currently have a huge litter tray full of Cat's Best Oko Plus litter - it's a standard jump in, jump out tray. They use it all the time and I keep it very clean, so why my bed and bag seem more attractive to little Assam, I don't know. I should say that we've had them since they were eight weeks old and (to my knowledge) there have been only three incidents. Think I'd have sniffed out any others!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 21:00:53

Personally, I've always taken the view that veering away from established littering arrangements means they're unhappy about something.

I guess it's possible that his/both of their hormones are just starting to kick in really early and maybe make him unsettled, maybe he doesn't like sharing a tray with Sis as he gets older (many don't) maybe he really wants to sleep or lie with you and is marking a territory. It's difficult.

Clearly you should be getting them neutered as soon as your vet will do the ops. I'd also go right now for two trays (with two cats you'll need two trays eventually or if you plan to let them outside, having a spare is always useful.) And clean up any accidents very carefully with non-bio washing powder.

Has he shown any interest (or noise) in getting to sleep with you two go in your room?

blackbirdatglanmore Tue 25-Jun-13 21:10:12

Mine does this. I don't honestly think he's unhappy - he lives a life of luxury - but he likes weeing on soft things.

Does your litter tray has a hood? Mine goes under the covers to wee on the bed hmm and in the handbag (caused much embarrassment at work as I did not notice until everybody started asking who had been eating sardines blush)

riojabotherer Tue 25-Jun-13 21:24:53

The plot thickens - as I was typing a reply, he jumped up on one of the sofas and did it again like it was the most natural thing in the world. I'm stumped, but good tip about the extra tray. It's worth a try.

Funny you say about the bag, blackbird - I thought my toddler had deposited some of his fish gougons in mine when we were out for lunch at the weekend - it smelled too fishy to be cat wee. On closer inspection...

The tray doesn't have a hood. As Cozie suggests, I'll try them with another.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 21:33:47

I'd almost be tempted (following that little display) to re-train him.

How does he get on with your toddler?

riojabotherer Tue 25-Jun-13 21:46:53

He hadn't even been near his tray, either - it's as if he's forgotten all about it.

Both cats get on fine with my son. He gives them the odd gentle stroke but otherwise leaves them to their own devices, and they him.

I've lived with cats all my life but must admit this is a new one on me. I could understand it if something had changed, or if he was a little older and spraying.

To answer your earlier question, Cozie, he is pretty vocal and loudly wonders where we all are if he's on his own for long, but once we close the door behind them at night there's never any protest and he's not overly interested in getting into closed rooms. He'd dearly love to got outside, though, but we're going to wait until they're neutered and chipped for that.

Thanks for all the advice so far smile

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 21:57:39

Ah. It could be stress protest peeing then - because he's feeling hemmed in. You really will need to have him neutered and chipped as soon as the vet will do it.

riojabotherer Tue 25-Jun-13 22:07:20

Poor thing's clearly unhappy about something. If only they could talk, eh? Thank goodness for hard flooring.

I might do my own research into early neutering. I really can't face three more months of this, especially with a toddler around. So far at least it's just wee...

riojabotherer Tue 25-Jun-13 22:19:04

And now he's trotted off and used the litter tray!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 22:21:09

He knew you were talking about him.

hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now