New kittens! Help with settling them in.

(18 Posts)
gobbin Mon 01-Jul-13 19:00:43

It takes time, weeks in fact, so don't be in too much of a rush. They will come round, just keep on doing what you're doing and offer your finger end for them to sniff. They're curious buggers and will want to know what you're offering!

Ours were very timid to start with but now they're all grown up we have to cope with 'maximum cattage' (all 3 trying to squeeze in around/on you when there's plenty of room on the sofa). It's great, I looooove my cats.

Madratlady Sun 30-Jun-13 22:56:40

Aww they sound lovely. I'm sure boy kitten will get more adventurous.

I took my timid cats upstairs to bed with me every night when we first got them. After a few days they started coming up by themselves. Now we have to shut them downstairs some nights because they want attention when we want to sleep grin

cozietoesie Sun 30-Jun-13 22:34:43

They dislike being ignored. Sounds as if he's coming round.

smile

He's just jumped in sofa & sniffed my foot.

Then buggered off grin

cozietoesie Sun 30-Jun-13 22:27:57

Once you've lived with them for a bit, you'll be glad they're not, believe me. smile

You can't entirely tell what he'll be like as an adult, anyway. Much will depend on how well you socialize them around your family once they're both ready for it.

Secretly, I was hoping they'd be more like dogs smile

cozietoesie Sun 30-Jun-13 22:18:51

He's just a different personality to the girl - a bit more standoffish and independent minded. They come in all personalities (like people) and it sounds as if he'll take a little longer to adjust.

He'll be fine. Just let him take things at his own pace.

smile

Well - they have been here 5 days now.

The girl has made herself at home and is happy to be stroked and cuddled by my 7 year old. She does a runner upstairs and likes to hide under our bed whenever the door is left open.

The boy is still very shy. He has come out and will wander around, but still cowers and backs away when you try to stroke him. If he's lying down asleep and relaxed he might let you stroke him but it's touch and go. He'll eat dreamies from my hand but there's no way I can pick him up. Heaven knows how I'll get him to the vets.

Have I chosen a really rubbish kitten (I felt sorry for him) or will he get better?

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 13:37:29

And take some pictures for us!

smile

Iseeall Tue 25-Jun-13 13:33:38

Keep them in one room for a few days, then let them explore further.
Don't keep picking them up(hard I know)
Sit on the floor, let them come to you.
No sudden very loud noise, just keep thing calm if you can.
Other than that you sound like you are doing everything right.

enjoy

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 13:30:27

PS - and if they have easy access to it, fill it from scratch after checking every time for a little while. You don't need any laundered kits!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 13:28:49

It depends how loud and horrible it is - if it's in the next room and reasonably well balanced, I wouldn't worry. If they get behind it, I'd put dirty laundry in a black plastic bag for a day or two if I were you.

They have a litter tray near the patio door & one of those igloo beds. I may seek out an old fleece blanket too.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 13:26:56

Ah well. smile

Have they got easy access to a (quietly located) tray and some soft and warm things to sleep on ? (eg old fleeces are verg good.)

I'm a little worried the noise of the washing machine may scar them for life though!

The 7 year old is at school so he's fine.

The 4 year old, to be honest, got bored of them quite quickly and went to watch the tv grin

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 13:23:31

I'd give them a safe place to be, let them stay there until they come out, and keep everything quiet and calm until they find their feet - which may not be for a day or two for the boy. (The girl sounds more adventurous.) Can you keep your DCs away from them for the time being?

We have two new kittens. They are 11 weeks & we picked them up this morning.

They are both currently hiding behind a piece of chipboard under the kitchen table. The girl is curious and has been out a few times and let us stroke her. The boy is very timid and having none of it.

The girl has found her food. Will the boy come out when he's hungry?

Any tips for settling them in more easily?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now