So upset :(

(8 Posts)
eminemmerdale Tue 25-Jun-13 12:56:43

I know sad he got so so ill looking in the past few weeks - we didn't see him every single day so maybe it just hit us more sad Clearly it was never going to be right. I took a photo of him I had taken last year round to his owner yesterday and she looked completely devastated, so I think I was probably being unnecessarily and horribly harsh.

issey6cats Mon 24-Jun-13 19:53:53

he might not have looked ill for long. one of my cats looked really healthy, then he dissapeared for just one week, came back and he was skin and bones, no temp or anything other than lost wheight in a week, took him straight to the vets and he was in terminal stage of feline leukemia, i had no clue he was even ill, still feel guilty to this day as its not curable or livable with at this stage

You might be being a bit harsh, who knows, but it's totally understandable. Poor tough boy. Sorry you feel so bad, they really do manage to wrap us round their little paws.

eminemmerdale Mon 24-Jun-13 16:00:57

I probably am being harsh , in fact I know I am - I'm a snivelling heap sad

eminemmerdale Mon 24-Jun-13 16:00:22

That was about eight months ago - he had a fight and had to have his tail taken off!

SoupDragon Mon 24-Jun-13 15:59:56

It's very sad but I think you're being a bit harsh on his owners.

I recently had SoupKitten put to sleep. In the last weeks, she occasionally went outside and, if you'd seen her, you would have ranted at me because she looked like a painfully thin, heavily pregnant young cat. She wasn't. As it turned out, she had degenerative heart failure but I didn't know that until right at the end.

usualsuspect Mon 24-Jun-13 15:58:09

I can understand you being upset, but if he had had an operation they must have took him to a vet.

eminemmerdale Mon 24-Jun-13 15:54:44

Last year, a beautiful tough boy started visiting us - he was a bit grumpy but we half adopted him - he belonged to next door but one but seemed to spend lots of time with us -they have various other animals, including a shouty dog Anyway, long story short, we got our own big fat cat, who I've mentioned on here before and lovely cat got a little pissed off and came less frequently. In the past few weeks, he has been looking desperately ill and thin and just spent days waiting on our doorstep - we would let him in for a while and he would have a little snooze (though hiss and shout if we tried to touch him) and then potter off. On Thursday night, he lay dying in our front garden. it was horrible. I went to get the owners whose first comment was 'oh no, we've only just paid for his last operation'. They came and took him - as they picked him in a blanket, he howled, looked at me and his eyes went black - I think he died at that point. I am devastated. He wasn't even ours, but I really loved him sad I asked the owners about what sort of illness he had and they didn't even seem to think he had been unwell. For god's sake he was skin and bone. I wish I had stepped in and done more for him, but dh says he was beyond help and we did our bit by looking out for him. It's ridiculous how sad I am sad They buried him in their garden amidst much wailing and I just want to go and shout at them. I am clearly being a bit unhinged but I would never let FatCat get to that state without taking him to a vet or at least keeping him inside and warm. So sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now