microchip catflap - really keep out unwanted cat?

(13 Posts)
BetsyBell Sun 23-Jun-13 20:31:52

Well it does look like a bit of a flimsy mechanism on the sureflap but our local running brute repeatedly trying to get in hasn't in 2 years so...

sacbina Sun 23-Jun-13 11:04:58

Does it have the same small plastic tab at the bottom/side which drops when the microchipped (or my my case infra red collared) cat approaches, allowing the cat flap to be pushed open, and then pops back up when cat has passed?

If its the same principle I'm right confused how it would stop said brute taking a running jump and pushing straight through.

My poor cat :-(

Phineyj Sun 23-Jun-13 10:28:18

We have got a PetPorte and it is brilliant. Our (small and cowardly but intelligent) cat derives great enjoyment from letting bigger cats chase her towards it and then watching as the door slams in their faces!

Depends on your cat...my grandads used to lean forward and 'unlock' it for the neighbourhood cats to get in!

BetsyBell Sun 23-Jun-13 10:17:45

I have a Sureflap (approx £70 I think) and it's been doing sterling service keeping out an evil tomcat that mercilessly tries to harrass my cats. Sometimes I hear his head thud repeatedly against the flap when he's tried to chase my cat indoors. It has a little catch that locks the door and seems to lock again immediately once microchipped kitty is through.

Highly recommend. Before that we had fresh cat spray in the kitchen most days and terrorised kitties.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Jun-13 10:04:54

Don't worry - Sunday morning can be a dodgy time to post.

smile

sacbina Sun 23-Jun-13 10:01:39

Multiple post, sorry - gremlins!

sacbina Sun 23-Jun-13 09:29:41

does it have a different kind of locking mechanism then? i can't force the infra red one myself by pushing it, but neighbours cat just pushes right through!

does it have a different kind of locking mechanism then? i can't force the infra red one myself by pushing it, but neighbours cat just pushes right through!

sacbina Sun 23-Jun-13 09:29:40

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Jun-13 08:48:46

Oh yes even at full speed. Sureflap kept out intruder the other night heard him head butt it and then miaow pitifully.

sacbina Sun 23-Jun-13 08:42:04

currently have an infra red cat flap but the greedy neighbours
cat still
manages to barge his way through as he's built like a brick .....

will it really stop him or can he still get in if he’s strong enough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now