Cookiecat at the vets with broken leg, hand holding please......

(39 Posts)
Cookiepants Sat 22-Jun-13 23:03:58

As it says in the title really. Cookiecat came home crying and dragging his hind leg. Emergency vets says definite severe break with possible pelvic injuries. Had to leave my girl there confused. Now at home having a hormonal wail (7 months pg), anyone have any positive tales to tell?

Littleballofhate Sat 29-Jun-13 18:28:09

LittleBallCats are chuffed she is home! Well done all of you smile

ZebraOwl Sat 29-Jun-13 18:20:31

Glad to hear you got her home okay & what fantastic news about her eyesight! Hope her convalescence isn't too hard on her - nor indeed on you!

It's great that she's home. Does she still have all four legs?

Slavetothechild Sat 29-Jun-13 16:19:10

Oh I'm glad she is home. Hopefully things will just keep improving now. She's a lucky cat to have such a caring owner

cozietoesie Fri 28-Jun-13 22:36:37

PS - and good news about the better sight as well.

smile

cozietoesie Fri 28-Jun-13 22:35:34

Glad she's back, poo covered or not. What a naughty one to take out her stitches.

Try and get some rest yourself now.

You must be exhausted. Glad she's home.

Cookiepants Fri 28-Jun-13 22:15:17

Sorry again for the super late update ! Naughty Cookiecat managed to chew out her stitches while I was ok my way to pick her up. She then needed to be reseated and sutured so we only got home around 20:30. She seems very settled now, we have set her up a "sick room" in the empty bedroom as we need to keep her movements to a minimum and I can check on her at night without going downstairs grin soo happy she is home in one piece (almost) her eyesight is much improved too. Only slight niggle is the vets have given her an enema and we only realised when we got home that her back end and paws were covered in poo shock which she can't clean because of the cone. A lovely job for DH ( pg so get out of all poo related jobs for now).

Thanks for all the support MN! It's been a really stressful week. Although worth it all to sit hearing her purr in her sleep. thanks to all.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Jun-13 21:51:54

Did she get home OK?

Glad she's coming home. We're all hoping for positive news. Please update us when you can.

ZebraOwl Fri 28-Jun-13 09:47:28

Glad to hear Cookiecat's coming home today: I hope she heals up Well And Quickly smile

cozietoesie Fri 28-Jun-13 09:24:31

Fingers crossed. Have you got to give her cage rest?

smile

Cookiepants Fri 28-Jun-13 09:22:52

Sorry for the late update. Cookiecat comes home today grin. Off to vets now will update when we have her settled in at home.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 08:10:27

How's she doing?

deliasmithy Mon 24-Jun-13 21:52:04

I have 3 cats and they are firmly treated as members of team Delia.

I havent had personal experience but has anyone read the book Uncle Whiskers? It was about a cat that had to have two amputations and the owner knitted socks for him to wear on his stump! The cat learned to pounce and run about and lived a happy life.

I think if you are able to provide a stable indoor environment then I don't see why the eye sight would be a problem. Cats rely heavily on sense of smell so am sure he'd be ecstatic to go home when he can.

I have an outdoor run area attached to our catflap for my indoor cats. There's always ways of adapting things to make the best of a situation.

ZebraOwl Mon 24-Jun-13 19:31:42

I hate that whole "just a cat" thing. You might as well tell someone who's lost a family member they were "just a human" so they need to get over it.

I know of plenty of three-legged cats happily bopping about & also of various blind cats who have happy lives. Cats can compensate well for sightloss because they have such exceptionally good senses of smell & hearing & they can use their whiskers to help detect things. Being a housecat is not cruel. If it turned out that CookieCat was miserable living like that you would then have the option of reconsidering what was best in QoL terms.

Hope that CookieCat comes through the amputation well & that she can be back home with you soon.

Much love (& purrs from the Zebra!Cats)

Littleballofhate Mon 24-Jun-13 18:11:27

Sending big love and hugs to you all..

So sorry to hear that. I've had three cats that have become blind while I had them. I have been amazed how well they all coped. They learned pretty much how to get around the house, to the food, litter tray and anywhere else they wanted to go within about a week. One even managed the cat flap and used to go and sit in the sun (but she did have trouble getting back in). All of them seemed no less happy after they went blind than before, and it didn't seem to adversely affect any of them.

Three legged cats also do very well.

Cookiepants Mon 24-Jun-13 16:55:44

thanks cozie. Currently expecting DC1 but for the last 8 years our two cats have been like our babies (DH much much worse than me!) and I've always believed if you have pets they are part of your family and you are responsible for giving them all they need.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Jun-13 16:50:26

It's never 'just a cat'.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Jun-13 16:49:56

Of course - she deserves all chances. If she's indeed blind, it may be a lot coming together with the leg amputation but cats are very strong minded creatures. I think that lots of TLC and the household working to support her should pull her through to a happy life from now on.

Cookiepants Mon 24-Jun-13 16:48:49

Thanks for the link cozie, she seems a very positive lady with a very happy cat! Off to the vets for a visit now before my night shift. Will keep updating as I get news. Thanks for all the support, people in RL think I'm being daft "after all its just a cat" shock

Cookiepants Mon 24-Jun-13 16:45:23

Thanks cozie, he thinks the blindness has been caused by fat embolus from the leg, no other evidence of brain injury i.e she can walk (dragging bad leg) and take herself to the litter tray etc. I just believe we owe her a chance, the eye problems may not be permanent (but likely are).

cozietoesie Mon 24-Jun-13 16:44:17

Here's one website with some thoughts.

living with a blind cat

There's loads of guidance out there so just google 'blind cats' to see.

Good luck to him.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Jun-13 16:25:25

The leg coming off is not really likely to be a problem. Plenty of tripods around - and I think that there are other posters who have cats with vision issues who may comment. As far as I know they have the potential to manage fine if they're in a supportive household.

Did the vet say whether there might be other, neurological, problems as a result of the RTA ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now