Apart from Butchers Choice - what wet food?

(33 Posts)
LingDiLong Sat 22-Jun-13 17:19:15

So I've been reading here about the fact that a lot of wet food isn't good for cats so I was thinking of gradually changing her from the KiteKat she was on in the rescue centre on to something better. I can't find Butchers Choice in any local shops though. Is there anything else that is recommended?

Thanks!

That's interesting Vegancow. The vets at our clinic have always said it's just the cheap dried food that's the problem - not the quality stuff. I'll bring up the subject next time I'm there and see if they've changed their minds.

riojabotherer Sat 29-Jun-13 00:29:54

Zooplus stocks some excellent foods, though some are pretty costly, especially if you have more than one cat. Before we brought home our kits I got a bit obsessed with cat nutrition and swore them off dry food forever. They are awaiting an order of Animonda Carny at the moment. I've heard lots of cat owners rate it, along with Bozita and Grau. Nature's Menu is going down well here at the moment but it's too expensive. We've had them on Butcher's Classic, though it looked to me like there was an awful lot of jelly. It's one of the better supermarket foods, as far as I can work out.

Apparently raw feeding is becoming popular but with a toddler knocking around, I'm not game.

Have to say all my previous cats have thrived on Felix/Whiskas etc, but I'm going to keep these two on something with more meat and no grain/fillers if possible.

VeganCow Sat 29-Jun-13 01:12:12

Thecatneuterer I had to take my cat to a 24 hour busy animal hospital, they said best advice is wet only diet, with the addition of cystease or furinaid to help with the bladder lining, the hospital said to look for the latest advice on the fabcats website (feline advisory bureau ) on FLUTD and sure enough they say the most important thing is to increase the uptake of water which is most easily done with wet food.
Would be interesting to see what your vet says.

VeganCow Sat 29-Jun-13 01:16:44

Riojabotherer Animonda Carny is a great food, mine prefer it to bozita which is cheaper problem cos it has gravy or jelly. The Animonda is solid a bit like whiskas supermeat.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 29-Jun-13 10:21:32

Bengal cat forum has some serious mental raw food feeders on it, if you mention you feed ready prepared tinned food then you are an evil evil person who ought to be banned for life from keeping anything apart from pot plants.

They are very scary people.

dobby2001 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:02:51

Just found this thread. We tried our 2 on the Butchers cat food, when Sainsburys started selling it, and they refused to eat it! First time the have ever turned their noses up at anything. They can be more happy to eat some brands than others, but the Butchers was complete refusal!

We have had Aldi in the past and they were not overly keen either - I assumed it was because both were cheaper quality??? Have I got veggie cats fgs??confused

riojabotherer Sun 30-Jun-13 22:59:05

Update...Nature's Menu, while it may be a high quality food, makes their poo smell horrendous! They do seem to have much nicer breath now than when they were eating Classic. I can sit with them fighting or washing next to me without passing out.

kimthomasandaimee Thu 18-Jul-13 14:35:39

From Supermarkets we get:

Lily's Kitchen

From ZooPlus we get:

Grau
Animonda Carny

From Happy Kitty Company we get:

Macs
OmNomNom

These are all High Meat Content cat foods without grains and cheap fillers.

They may seem more expensive than Felix, Whiskas and other low meat content foods but you're cat will probably need to eat less of them.

My preference is for raw food which we get from:

Honeys
Natural Instinct

Mice and Day Old Chicks frozen from online reptile suppliers.

And we make our own raw food but you have to be careful to get the meat~bone~organ ratio correct _

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now