My kitten has ear mites - any tips for using drops?

(12 Posts)
cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 20:40:53

Experts? Pah!

Well done on the drops though. I think the main reason I'd check with the vets on Advocate (other than it being prescription!) is that if she was relatively recently wormed and de-flead, she'll still have some chemical load on her system so the vet will likely want to go a decent bit beyond the 9 weeks/1 kg Advocate rules to make sure that there are no problems.

If she seems happy enough in the kitchen - your call, I think. Has she got a comfy place to sleep there? (Whatever you do you'd have to ensure that she could very easily access her tray. (Little bladders not being so controlled as adult ones.))

smile

itsnothingoriginal Wed 19-Jun-13 20:22:01

Thanks! We're a bit more successful with drops tonight and we have a vets appt booked so hopefully get them sorted soon.

Can I ask you experts too about keeping her in the same room at night? So far she's in the kitchen which she seems quite happy about but am worried she might get lonely. Should she have free rein of the house or better to stay by the litter tray?

cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 10:48:26

Ah. looks like your girl is right on the edge for Advocate use. Definitely a good idea to check with the vet.

smile

cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 09:55:55

Just a tiddler then. Good idea to ask when you phone about vaccinations.

Best of luck with them - they can be got rid of though.

smile

itsnothingoriginal Wed 19-Jun-13 09:54:04

Yes worked and de-flead at foster home so a good start other than the ear mites!!

itsnothingoriginal Wed 19-Jun-13 09:52:37

She's only 9 weeks Cozie - I need to phone vet to book next set of vaccinations so I'll ask about alternatives.

CMOTDibbler Wed 19-Jun-13 09:52:36

I'd def go to the vet. One of our old cats was a beggar for ear mites, but one we started on Stronghold on the vets advice she never had them again

cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 09:52:07

PS - has she been wormed, de-flead and all those good things?

itsnothingoriginal Wed 19-Jun-13 09:50:51

Thank you! I'll see how we get on and look into the Advocate as an option instead. It sounds easier and hopefully less messy than these drops!

cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 09:50:19

Yes - I'd give the vet a phone and see what you can use for her. (How old is she?) Oneago hated drops and it was real difficult using them.

FreckledLeopard Wed 19-Jun-13 09:36:29

We used that with our kittens, to varying success. In the end, we used Advocate spot-on for flea treatment, which also kills earmites. I can't remember what the minimum age is for Advocate, but it's very effective and far easier than trying to get Canaural into their ears!

itsnothingoriginal Wed 19-Jun-13 09:34:22

PFB kitty owner here grin

We picked up our rescue kitten on Sat and she has ear mites so we need to do drops for another week to follow up treatment the foster carer had started. We were given Canaural which seems like horrible stuff and I don't blame her for hating it sad

Does anyone have any good tips for getting the drops in and making the experience as pain free as possible?? It says she shouldn't shake her head after but I imagine it's impossible to stop her?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now