My cat has died :-(

(25 Posts)
saggyhairyarse Mon 17-Jun-13 22:02:17

18 months ago my 14 year old cat died of cancer and I vowed never to get a cat again as I was so upset by it. 6 months later my friend had been given a kitten but her partner wasnt keen so in a moment of weakness I agreed to have her.

She was lovely! Just a moggie but she was so sweet natured even my Jack Russel loved her and used to play doggy/kitty tag with her and let her sleep in his bed (even we are not allowed to so much as look at his bed). Anyway, last Sunday she went missing. I called and called, knocked on doors, checked neighbours garages/sheds, leafletted the area and put up a Facebook appeal but she had vanished.

So today I was picking up my kids from school and found a stray dog, I had my dog in my car so I knocked on a door and asked them to let the dog stay in their garden while I took my dog home and then I went back to fetch the stray and took him to the vets to be scanned and he was reunited with his owner. My kids then asked if we could go to a local rope swing and off we set, we walk down the path, through the woods, the kids running ahead and they come back screaming and my youngest had just, by complete chance, found our cat at the side of the path sad

It is a bit strange as I had walked down the path twenty times or more this past week calling for her and had not seen her but she had been dead for a while sad We went home and I brought her home in the cat carrier, wrapped in my daughters baby blanket and my Dad is going to bury her tomorrow.

Sorry for the outpouring here but I just feel so sad. My eldest cried himseelf to sleep saying how unfair it was and it is, she was only just one, a lovely cat and my children adored her.

sad sad sad

cozietoesie Mon 17-Jun-13 22:04:59

So very sorry, saggy. It's desperately hard to lose them.

sad

LegoAcupuncture Mon 17-Jun-13 22:06:53

Oh how awful, Im so sorry.

deliasmithy Mon 17-Jun-13 23:26:09

I'm sorry to hear what happened to her.

I think I was about 12 when I was with my mum near our house and spotted our cat lying dead in the road.
It was obviously very upsetting but we buried her and that helped in dealing with it.

It really is so unfair and 2 cats when I was younger died crossing the one road near my house, they could have gone in any other direction and hit field after field.

I know in my case our little moglet had an awesome life until then and it sounds as though she was loved a lot by you all very much and lucky to have experienced that.

So so sorry to hear this. I lost my cat exactly a month ago and know how much it hurts. Such a sad time for you and your family. Please feel free to let your feelings out at any time, it's bloody rotten and unfair.

Take care.

Sunnywithshowers Tue 18-Jun-13 01:32:33

I'm sorry for your loss sad flowers

changeforthebetter Tue 18-Jun-13 04:18:40

So sorry for your loss hmm

Amy106 Tue 18-Jun-13 04:23:35

I am so sorry to hear about your poor cat. They really are a part of the family and it makes the loss all the worse. So sad.

saggyhairyarse Tue 18-Jun-13 05:27:08

Thank you ladies, you can just tell that the majority of people don't get it. Even when we were looking for her, people said cats wander off and I know they do but I also knew she would come home if she could :-(

peggotty Tue 18-Jun-13 07:36:05

I also lost my old boy a few days ago - it's so painful. I'm really sorry about your little cat and that she was so young. It sounds like she had a fantastic life with you and you will have some lovely memories of her. They will start to come soon, the not so nice memories will begin to fade.

heronsfly Tue 18-Jun-13 07:39:24

I'm so sorry about your cat, i lost two last year, both reasonably young still,and i still find it so upsetting, i know they are only animals but they do own a piece of your heart.

kittenery Tue 18-Jun-13 14:36:14

sad flowers
So sad when they go - sounds like she had lovely life with you

ZebraOwl Wed 19-Jun-13 01:05:08

I'm so sorry - it must be especially difficult to handle with it being your children who found her.

Will you be able to make some kind of marker for her grave? It might help all of you with the grieving process if you were to, say, choose a rosebush together & help with planting & making the cat's Last Space a nice one.

I hope you're as ok as it's possible for you to be in the circs.

mpac298 Sun 23-Jun-13 07:21:42

Never easy, but the question I always keep in my mind is the following. I had two options, to get the cat or to not have him/her. Would I have been happier without? Also, you and your family love animals, they need you and your help, dont give up on giving them a beautiful home, very few are so lucky.

Chippychop Wed 26-Jun-13 11:06:32

Hope you can mange to smile at all the happy memoriessmile

VeganCow Wed 26-Jun-13 16:20:44

ah am so sorry sad

Cookiepants Wed 26-Jun-13 16:26:50

So sorry saggy confused your little cat will have been so loved and happy. It's never easy to loose them but at least you gave her the best life you could xxx

tabbycat15 Mon 01-Jul-13 03:41:24

So sorry to hear that.

LaPresidente Sun 08-Sep-13 10:40:15

I'm so sorry to read about this. It is helpful to others, though. Our cat was killed last week - not sure if he was run over or poisoned. He was beautiful, and not even 18 months old. The house seems to have lost its soul. Just reading these messages makes me feel I'm not crazy to be missing him so much.

MexicanHat Sun 08-Sep-13 14:33:30

So sorry saggy and LaPresidente - I love my cat so much - they really are part of the family. I feel so sad for you both sad

Wasapea Sun 08-Sep-13 19:42:41

So sorry, love thanks

GetStuffezd Sun 08-Sep-13 19:46:17

I'm so sad at reading this. You're right - so many people don't understand what makes your cat so special; full of personality. It's horribly unfair she was taken so young. I tend to always say the same thing - that the cat was obviously loved, happy to have such a great life with you - i'm sure it's of no comfort at the moment though. I hope you are ok.

timtam23 Sun 08-Sep-13 20:18:15

So sorry saggy and to all on this thread whose cats have died

They do give us so many happy memories to look back on while wiping away the tears.

I'm so sorry, saggy.

She may have had a short life, but you filled it with love and happiness. This sort of thing is the worst part of having animals - they become such a part of the family.

PicklePants Sun 08-Sep-13 20:32:21

Sorry for your loss saggy sad I lost one of mine last weekend so I know how horrible it is when they go.

Maybe a little ceremony when you bury her will help you/your dcs say a proper goodbye and start to process the whole thing?

Hugs to you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now