Thought I would start a fresh thread to see if anyone has experience of this?
Little cat was okay overnight at the vet - ate, drank, used litter tray. Vet is going to check him over and get back to me in a bit.
Yesterday they were talking like he would have no chance, but I've done some reading and found that cats can live on with kidney failure. This has changed my perspective a bit. I've read that even with appalling blood counts, if he responds to a few days of fluid, he might have a chance.
I am willing to do what it takes as long as he will be okay in himself. I'm certainly not going to try and prolong his life if he is in pain.
I don't want to get my hopes up, but I also don't want to consent to them PTS if he needs a few days to really see how he will cope. The way they were speaking, it was like today would be decision day.
Hi cosie, at what point did you decide enough was enough? At the moment he is like his normal self. Did you give subcutaneous fluid? I know he's dying, I just don't want to make it any worse for him by adding to pain. I also need to have an idea of the point where we call the vet.
That time, the decision was taken out of my hands, Kinky - but I could have wished that I'd made one sooner.
I rather liked Lonecat's view on the matter in a post today - 'more bad days than good' - but the trouble is that cats will put such a good face on things that you can't always tell if they're feeling lousy even if you know them well.
You are between a rock & a hard place for sure. When the end of the journey comes you will have had some time to come around to the idea but it will still be awful. It does seem trite to think of the money but in this day and age it is a consideration. It sounds like you have a good vet which at least is a help.
I don't know how sentimental you are but you can have paw prints made. I wish we had done this actually - even though I don't need any reminders. Just a thought. Keep an eye on him & it is good of you to update for others that may be in a similar situation.
When we decided to give the fluid, we realised he is badly bruised from when he had it at the vets. We've talked and talked and decided better to let him carry on as he is, without jabbing him every day. I think from an earlier post, there are no guarantees the fluid will keep him alive for long. He is very 'well' at the moment - being his usual fuzzy, pesky self. After the vets he was very subdued. We've decided to let him be so at least he has some normal catty days before the time comes to let him go. As soon as he goes quiet - and I have an idea from when was ill last week - we will phone them.
but pleased we have made a decision that I think is the best thing for him. I don't think we'll have him very long now.
He's a pest! He's even been running around with his brother and chasing his red mouse, so he's obviously feeling perky. I know we are on borrowed time, but after the vets I really thought he wouldn't see out the week.