Kidney Failure

(62 Posts)
KinkyDorito Mon 17-Jun-13 08:55:23

Thought I would start a fresh thread to see if anyone has experience of this?

Little cat was okay overnight at the vet - ate, drank, used litter tray. Vet is going to check him over and get back to me in a bit.

Yesterday they were talking like he would have no chance, but I've done some reading and found that cats can live on with kidney failure. This has changed my perspective a bit. I've read that even with appalling blood counts, if he responds to a few days of fluid, he might have a chance.

I am willing to do what it takes as long as he will be okay in himself. I'm certainly not going to try and prolong his life if he is in pain.

This is my earlier thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1778994-Poorly-boy

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I also don't want to consent to them PTS if he needs a few days to really see how he will cope. The way they were speaking, it was like today would be decision day.

Any advice/experiences greatly received. thanks

SoupDragon Tue 18-Jun-13 07:05:55

It is right at the top of the list of Shit Things I Have Had To Do sad I now know why my parents haven't had another in the 30 years since my childhood spaniel was put to sleep!

In SoupKitten's case she was never going to recover and even if they found the right combination/dose of medication it would probably have been a matter of months. It was really no choice at all.

Sending positive thoughts your way!

KinkyDorito Tue 18-Jun-13 11:24:17

Not looking as good today. He has stopped eating again. Bloods this afternoon.

I think we are preparing for the worst, tbh.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Jun-13 11:46:09

sad

Let us know when you've had some news.

SoupDragon Tue 18-Jun-13 12:47:54

sad

idlevice Tue 18-Jun-13 12:56:41

I am so sorry you are going through this. I still feel like I haven't got over it when it happened to one of my cats 3yrs ago. We did everything we could & it ended up costing a couple of grand. My partner was adamant he wanted to try everything, which I agreed with but I don't think we would do the same again. You might be one of the lucky ones but if not, take heart that he will not be in any more discomfort & that the time he did have with you was lovely.

KinkyDorito Tue 18-Jun-13 15:48:34

I'm sorry to hear that idlevice.

I think we're going to be in limbo for a while to come.

His counts have come down a little. They wanted to discharge him tonight, but I've asked them to keep him for another day on the drip and they've agreed.

He has eaten a little and is a bit brighter again.

It looks like we bring him home tomorrow with tablets and special food and see how we go. He still sounds pretty doubtful.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Jun-13 11:56:14

How is he today?

<<bites fingernails>>

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Jun-13 15:38:13

Will be discharged this afternoon - we're going to get him soon. I'm still not convinced the vet has given him enough fluid, but they seem keen to send him home. They tried to yesterday. I'm going to get him back here, see how he is then take him for a second opinion.

I'm a bit narked that, considering we will be parting with the best part of 1k for the last few days, they have done nothing to ascertain what is going on with him. They are treating the numbers, not the cat - as the Cat's Kidney Failure website says. They've got the numbers down a bit so they are sending him home where they will probably just go back up again without proper management.

They might be right and he could be beyond help off the drip, but I'm finding their attitude very defeatist when, from what they are saying, he is bright in himself, eating, weeing, pooing and reacting to treatment.

I am clueless, so I figured a second opinion might be the best way to go with him.

We're still pretty clueless, but for now he lives. I will put a picture of them as kittens on my profile. Charlie is the one with the brown nose.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Jun-13 15:45:48

How frustrating!

SoupDragon Wed 19-Jun-13 15:46:24

(cute kitties smile)

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Jun-13 15:47:34

Rag-tag moggies! They were the last of an abandoned litter.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Jun-13 15:54:41

Both mine are/were sorry little rescue cats smile FatCat was the last of a litter, rejected by prospective owners as he was too dark confused and Scout was dumped in a gutter.

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Jun-13 17:45:36

People are cruel. At least they got a happy home in the end though.

Charlie home. His brother keeps hissing at him because he smells of vets. He has little shaved patches all over and still looks skinny, but certainly better than he did. He has tablets and special food and we are supposed to go back next Tuesday for a check up.

He is currently off to shout at the sparrows through the window. smile

We are keeping everything crossed.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 17:48:43

Good luck to him.

smile

SoupDragon Wed 19-Jun-13 18:57:05

Good luck smile

idlevice Wed 19-Jun-13 22:35:18

Hope he's going ok so far! We had a few weeks when we had our cat home when we were given sterile fluid to inject into her under the skin to keep her fluids up - has this been mentioned as an option if you are concerned about fluid levels?

KinkyDorito Thu 20-Jun-13 06:11:44

That's what I was hoping to get hold of, idlevice, but lots of vets won't give it out. Mine seems determined just to see how he gets on without. I've rung a second vet up and will try them Saturday I think to see if I can get my hands on some. After an evening at home, he is much brighter. He's not drinking much, but he is wolfing the special food with water in it. The tablets have also been made more palatable and he just ate it! We were so relieved as were expecting a fight.

Looking at him though, you can see he won't ever be the same. But at the moment he is functioning and doing all his normal cat things so we'll see how we go.

It does not help that his brother has turned on him and keeps hissing at him all the time. Hopefully they will settle down again. I have to go to work today and I'm worried about leaving them.

KinkyDorito Thu 20-Jun-13 06:13:10

I think we are all aware we are on limited time.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Jun-13 06:31:04

If it's limited time in which he's enjoying himself, that's something.

SoupDragon Thu 20-Jun-13 07:12:51

It may be that the vet wants to start with minimal intervention - it may be that that is sufficient but if not, they may add more medication in.

Sounds like he's doing great at home so far though smile SoupKitten was pretty good at taking her tablet crushed into Philadelphia and then licked from a spoon (may be too salty for you to use?)

KinkyDorito Fri 21-Jun-13 21:38:59

Perky today. He looks much more like his normal self and is being a pest smile.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Jun-13 21:47:32

Good.

smile

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 21:51:48

Sounds good smile

KinkyDorito Wed 26-Jun-13 19:35:59

Update - mainly for future searchers.

He seems very well in himself but counts are still poor. We've been given sub-cut fluids to try with him. I think we will have a go, but if they seem uncomfortable or like they are hurting him, we will stop.

He will die, it's just a matter of when. Amazingly, he is very normal at the moment. I'm wonder if it will just be a sudden crash when the time comes.

We are also lucky that the vet, if they have some notice, will come out to the house to PTS, so that will be better for him as the trip out is always traumatic.

Sigh.

The bill is also going up. Renal food not cheap, vets visits, tablets, fluids. We're at around £700 now in 10 days.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 19:41:32

My experience with treated kidney failure was that it was a long debilitating process and not a sudden crash. Sorry, Kinky, but you may have to make a difficult call fairly soon. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now