my cat seems really fat

(15 Posts)
SoldeInvierno Sun 16-Jun-13 18:03:51

I rescued a 3 year old female cat a few months ago. Within a few weeks of having her, she had clearly put on weight, but I did think that was a problem. She was a stray so I assumed it was ''old hunger''. Then she caught cystitis and the vet told me that she needed to lose a bit of weight, so I moved her onto Purina diet dry food.

I have never had a cat before, so I don't know whether I am still feeding her too much. My neighbour commented on her size and made me wonder. She eats a tin of Sheba beef in the morning, 30gr of dry food for lunch (small handful), and another 30gr for dinner. This is the recommended amount according to the Sheba and Purina packages, but I am wondering whether the manufacturers just want us to overfeed our cats so that they sell more.

BTW, she 5kg now. Any advice?

lljkk Sun 16-Jun-13 18:10:55

Few cats are healthy at 5 kg. How much exercise does she get?

SoldeInvierno Sun 16-Jun-13 18:32:18

She spends most of the day outdoors chasing the pigeons, so she is quite active. How much do you think I should feed her?

SoldeInvierno Sun 16-Jun-13 18:34:22

Would it be better to give her a very small lunch, like 10gr, or should I cut lunch out all together?

Triumphoveradversity Sun 16-Jun-13 18:38:03

I feed my cat less than the recommended amount, she seems fine. I'm suspicious of recommended guidance on any product as they want to sell as much as possible. My friend very kindly fed her when I was away but far too much.

She has half a full size tin a day and a handful of dried food, I also tend to give her a couple of tiny pieces of meat if we are having meat which is something I said I would never do. She gives us chicken eyes as we call them when I'm cooking. She is Queen of manipulation.

MissMarplesBloomers Sun 16-Jun-13 18:41:52

if you've only had her a few months is there any chance she is pregnant? grin

ClaraOswald Sun 16-Jun-13 18:45:28

My bigger male cat is 4.5kg, his sister is 3.7kg and they both get 60g of complete dried food a day. They are ten years old, and the vet is delighted with him, and the only concern with girlie is that moving to wet will worsen the condition of her teeth.

She is more active than he is and always has been.

On the occasions they get a pouch or tray, they get 30g of dried food.

SoldeInvierno Sun 16-Jun-13 18:46:50

😃 she's been sterilised so I hope not!!!

SoldeInvierno Sun 16-Jun-13 18:49:17

Thanks, all. Yes it does look like I am feeding her far too much. Diet starts tomorrow! I can feel she is going to hate me for a while

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 16-Jun-13 23:06:04

The Sheba pack amount will be for if she only eats Sheba and the same for the purina so if you are feeding her twice what she should be having.
Most female adult cats are around 4kg that is based on the around 10 cats I weigh every day.

NatashaBee Sun 16-Jun-13 23:09:46

I would definitely start by cutting out lunch... Just give her a tiny sprinkle of biscuits and then stop the mid day meal altogether.

SoldeInvierno Mon 17-Jun-13 21:13:24

Thanks everyone. The diet started today. She had a tray of Sheba for breakfast and 30gr of diet Purina for dinner. She's not "talking" to me but hopefully she'll get used to it soon. The Sheba instructions on the back of the trays recommend 3 trays per day , which is clearly too much��I should have asked you months ago

cozietoesie Mon 17-Jun-13 21:15:11

I wonder how the pigeons will fare tomorrow.

SoldeInvierno Tue 18-Jun-13 22:30:11

I thought I'd report. Second day of diet: she's not talking to me but she hasn't brought any dead birds or mice into the house, so at least I know she hasn't had a sneaky take-away. She ate her sheba tray very quickly this morning, but 1/2 her dinner is still downstairs now, so obviously not starving. She is hiding under the bed ignoring mesmile

Triumphoveradversity Thu 20-Jun-13 08:20:46

My cat has extreme moods. It's one of the reasons I prefer cats to dogs, dogs just seem daft.

I have never owned a cat with such a variation in crying and miaows as my current one though. I'm sure she still adores you regardless of rationing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now