Poorly kitten with cat flu.

(562 Posts)
ToffeeWhirl Wed 05-Jun-13 19:27:21

Our six-month-old Balinese kitten has a recurrence of cat flu again sad. He first had it a month ago. This time, he has a high temperature, an eye infection, the sneezes and is sleeping all the time. He is still eating and drinking, thank goodness, but he is very underweight.

If he gets another recurrence, the vet will check for other diseases.

I have come away from the vet with a bagful of medicines and a much depleted bank account.

The vet did reassure me that this wasn't life threatening. We are all besotted with this kitten, particularly my oldest son. The other day, DS1 fell asleep during the day and I found him and the kitten tucked up under the duvet, both heads on the pillow smile.

Has anyone else had a cat with cat flu? If so, did it keep coming back? Any tips?

Also, any tips on telling the breeder would be welcome. I chickened out of telling her the first time round, but I really feel I should this time. However, I don't know what to say without sounding as if I'm asking for a refund or blaming her in some way. Also, I'm not sure what she can do about it if her cats are carriers. Does it mean that she shouldn't be selling kittens, or is this just a risk you take when you buy a cat from a breeder?

Incidentally, the only reason we bought a pedigree was because I am allergic to cats and this was one of the few breeds that don't trigger my allergies. Am not particularly bothered whether I have a moggie or a pedigree, just don't want to spend my days sneezing and wheezing.

cozietoesie Mon 12-Aug-13 19:46:50

Gosh no - re buying from the health food shop. I buy it from there for me. Just that I read that the powder is easiest for cats and a flavoured powder at that - so knowing how finicky Seniorboy is, I thought I'd try that one. Hence the .com - it's not sold in the UK and certainly not in my health food shop.

I'm sure what you got will be fine. I'm used to buying all sorts of things from the States and the only reason I mentioned it is that .com websites do expose you to some of the excesses that we're protected from in the UK.

I do, however, refuse to look up tutus!

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 19:41:19

Sounds as if the FIL is already under that cat's spell. Poor little thing. It's chilling that people can treat their animals like that.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 19:40:25

Any tutus?

I just bought lysine from the health-food shop. Was that wrong? confused

cozietoesie Mon 12-Aug-13 19:20:28

Looks like it's under control.

smile

cozietoesie Mon 12-Aug-13 19:19:06

Of course they are. smile

I've decided to get some Lysine but after some research it seems that the recommended stuff comes from the States so I've signed up to the .com website. Fatal because I then got sidetracked by their high fashion sections. You would truly not believe what is available for cats and dogs to wear. I can't even bring myself to post the details!

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 19:17:41

cozie! Help! You are needed over here!

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 19:10:55

Oh, poor snuffly boy. I hope he feels better soon.

It's odd, but since our kitten I have taken far more notice of the cats in our neighbourhood and I'm pretty certain they think they are in charge and we are their minions.

Or maybe they actually are in charge...

cozietoesie Mon 12-Aug-13 15:22:24

I'm waiting with almost as much anticipation as you. smile

Seniorboy is not too bad. He didn't get on well with the heat at all and now has his residual cat flu symptoms back. (They disappeared when he was given those ABs for his little UTI.) There's nowt to do about that, though - as you know - so I'm just wiping his nose if he has a snottery sneeze. I may try some lysine on him. Still thinking about that.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 13:30:10

Four months and three weeks, cozie.

How is Seniorboy?

cozietoesie Mon 12-Aug-13 13:07:04

Well that's something, Toffee - the apology more than the money, I think. How long to go now?

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 12:56:52

Epilogue: received a cheque from the breeder this morning, accompanied by a card apologising for what had happened. The money is going straight into a savings account to be used for our next kitten.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 16-Jul-13 00:56:38

It must be tough wearing a fur coat in a heatwave though. I'm glad he's ok.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Jul-13 00:51:50

We're well - and Seniorboy is as fine as the heat allows. (Surprisingly, he doesn't like it as much as a nice, even, 20 degrees under his fleece in winter. No winning with them, eh?)

ToffeeWhirl Tue 16-Jul-13 00:46:55

Oh, I hadn't seen Tiggy's post. Poor love. Will go and read.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 16-Jul-13 00:46:23

We're ok, thanks. DS1 loved the photobook and I have put up photos of ToffeeKitten in several rooms. I find the photos bittersweet, but watching videos of him is too upsetting.

DS1 and I have unnerved DH by discussing the possibility of getting two kittens next time ("Twice the cost and twice the vet bills!" as DH said). We thought they would be company for each other. Also, I think both of us want to ensure we never have a cat-free house again.

Am in touch with Diary, thanks.

How are you? And how is Seniorboy?

cozietoesie Tue 16-Jul-13 00:44:09

PS - I don't know whether you saw but tiggyhop posted today and she also lost a cat recently to FIP.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Jul-13 00:24:58

That's something at least - have a chat with Diary about it, maybe?

How are the family, in particular you and DS1, doing? (I've been thinking about you all.)

ToffeeWhirl Tue 16-Jul-13 00:19:43

This evening, I had an email from ToffeeKitten's breeder, promising to refund the money. Seems she is doing the decent thing.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 08-Jul-13 17:37:56

Yes, we talk about him together, cozie. It's comforting to share our memories.

I have just had an email from a breeder I contacted months ago, offering me the email address of another breeder who has seven Balinese kittens available. How poignant. I had to explain why I couldn't accept her offer.

cozietoesie Mon 08-Jul-13 17:35:36

He might enjoy that, actually. A one-off, no obligation day. Productive but with nothing riding on it - less likely to be tense-making.

Is he talking about KS at all?

ToffeeWhirl Mon 08-Jul-13 16:31:43

Funnily enough, I had the same thought, cozie. The animal sanctuary don't accept volunteers under 18, but they do a one-day event this summer for 13- to 18-year olds where they help look after the animals; I'm going to mention it to DS1, but his anxiety issues will probably prevent him from joining it. Worth a try though. Maybe he'd do it if a friend went with him.

cozietoesie Mon 08-Jul-13 15:04:45

Just a very very stray thought for mulling over, Toffee. Many animal sanctuaries welcome volunteers, mainly for scut work, but that might be the sort of thing DS1 would enjoy/manage to do from time to time - mucking out cages, filling feed bins, that sort of thing.

I don't know whether DS1 would be of an age to do it (a la dreaded health and safety policy at the sanctuary) but it might be worth an ask or keeping your ears open just in case?

ToffeeWhirl Mon 08-Jul-13 14:28:32

Frosty - he'd spend ages batting the sheep with his paws and would walk round the TV to see where they'd gone. grin

And thanks for your kind words.

Also, Chuff - I can't believe you've read the whole thread in one go shock. I only wish it had a happier ending. Thank you for the suggestion about Tonkinese: they look gorgeous, but don't appear on my trusty list of hypoallergenic cats, so I won't risk one. My Balinese kitten didn't trigger my allergy at all, so I will stick to what I know.

I suggested to DS1 that we take him to a local animal sanctuary later this week and he was very enthusiastic. The centre rehomes dogs and cats, but also has birds, small furry things, donkeys, etc. The visit will distract DS and, hopefully, cheer him up. DH worried that it would be like 'rubbing his nose in it', but I had an instinct DS would react well.

Yesterday, DS2 asked me if we are having a funeral, so I have discussed the idea with DS1 and he is thinking about it. That might also help him. We could plant a rosebush or something in the garden for ToffeeKitten. If we do it in a few days time, the photobook should have arrived and I can give that to DS1 afterwards.

ChuffMuffin England Mon 08-Jul-13 12:53:50

oops I fail at links smile

ChuffMuffin England Mon 08-Jul-13 12:53:39

Toffee I've just read this entire thread in one go. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you & your family's loss, and it was heartwarming to see how much you loved and cared for your kitten. flowers

I see you've been looking at Balinese and Siamese, have you looked at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonkinese_(cat) Tonkinese? They are a crossbreed (recognised breed though) of Burmese x Siamese and they are very very pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now