Poorly kitten with cat flu.

(562 Posts)
ToffeeWhirl Wed 05-Jun-13 19:27:21

Our six-month-old Balinese kitten has a recurrence of cat flu again sad. He first had it a month ago. This time, he has a high temperature, an eye infection, the sneezes and is sleeping all the time. He is still eating and drinking, thank goodness, but he is very underweight.

If he gets another recurrence, the vet will check for other diseases.

I have come away from the vet with a bagful of medicines and a much depleted bank account.

The vet did reassure me that this wasn't life threatening. We are all besotted with this kitten, particularly my oldest son. The other day, DS1 fell asleep during the day and I found him and the kitten tucked up under the duvet, both heads on the pillow smile.

Has anyone else had a cat with cat flu? If so, did it keep coming back? Any tips?

Also, any tips on telling the breeder would be welcome. I chickened out of telling her the first time round, but I really feel I should this time. However, I don't know what to say without sounding as if I'm asking for a refund or blaming her in some way. Also, I'm not sure what she can do about it if her cats are carriers. Does it mean that she shouldn't be selling kittens, or is this just a risk you take when you buy a cat from a breeder?

Incidentally, the only reason we bought a pedigree was because I am allergic to cats and this was one of the few breeds that don't trigger my allergies. Am not particularly bothered whether I have a moggie or a pedigree, just don't want to spend my days sneezing and wheezing.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 12:20:24

At last! Well done!

ZebraOwl Tue 25-Jun-13 12:33:20

Yay! Am so SO pleased KS had a lovely time in the garden grin

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 12:39:11

smile

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 16:59:17

ToffeeKitten has fallen down a couple of times this afternoon. Once, he fell down DS1's stairs whilst following him up (just a couple of steps, fortunately). Then he made a leap for a chair and missed. We are being extra vigilant again about tucking chairs under the table and keeping him away from stairs unless we are with him.

He was hungry when I came back from the school run and ate some Applaws and biscuits, with some probiotic paste mixed in. I managed to get him to swallow his third antibiotic afterwards.

He has been flat out on my lap since then. I have to move soon, but I don't want to disturb him. I can see his paws twitching. Maybe he's dreaming of exploring the garden.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 17:07:32

It's probably something like that, Toffee, because that was what he was doing today. A nice dream for him.

smile

ZebraOwl Tue 25-Jun-13 22:00:46

Is it possible the wobble is associated with increased tiredness & thus brought on by activity? Obviously I'm not broken in the same way, but I fall WAY more when I'm tired...

I hope that KS had very splendid dreams. It's wonderful that you took him outside & he enjoyed having a wee explore. Kitties squiggling in their sleep is ridiculously cute...

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 22:23:53

Hmm, not sure the wobble is associated with tiredness, I'm afraid, zebra. I think it's always there, but he compensates for it as best he can.

His chest has scabbed over and is driving him mad with itching tonight. I have rubbed Fucidin cream from the vet on it, but he is still trying to bite at his scabs and is making it bleed. I have tried adapting a small children's tee-shirt for him (he looked ridiculously cute), but he just pulls it off. I thought of putting a plaster on him, but I can't imagine how I'd ever get it off him again and it might irritate him too.

Shall I just leave him and hope he stops? DS1 and I are both with him and both stopping him every time he starts biting. We are both sleeping downstairs with him tonight and I'm hoping that he'll stop if he's sleeping in between us, feeling comforted.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 22:29:27

It's quite a large area isn't it? I think you just have to sleep with him (sleeping yourself as best you can) and hope that he stops while sleeping/gently move his paws away from the affected spot. I can't think of anything else that would help given you've put some meds on.

How are you coping yourself, Toffee? In your place, I would almost be too knackered to hold my head up.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 22:35:17

Ah, clever DS1 seems to have solved the problem for now, cozie. He has tucked ToffeeKitten up under the duvet so we can only see his face peeking out. Now he's going to sleep smile.

Am coping OK, thanks, cozie. At least I think I am. I usually just get on with things when times are difficult and then react afterwards when the crisis is over. At the moment, I am most concerned about how ToffeeKitten is and whether he's suffering and also how DS1 is coping.

DS2 admitted that he's upset too this evening. All this time he has kept his distance from the kitten and now he says he doesn't want him to die and has grown used to having him here. Ah well.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 22:47:51

You're using up emotional and physical reserves though. Be careful to look after yourself whenever you can.

Might it be helpful to discuss the situation with DS1's therapist if you can raise her? (Just in case she can give you any additional insights.)

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 22:56:38

Thanks for your concern, cozie. I have told DS1's therapist about the situation with the cat and she knows it is one reason for DS1's extra anxieties at the moment. It's unfortunate that this is happening at the same time as he is about to try out a new school after being home educated for a year, that's for sure.

I had an hour out from everything by going to my Pilates class this evening. I kept losing concentration because my mind was so busy, but it was good to have an hour off.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 22:59:02

Good.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 25-Jun-13 23:32:12

Just going to bed. I can see ToffeeKitten's tiny head peeping out from under the duvet in between me and DS1. He is fast asleep, as is DS1. Unbelievably sweet.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Jun-13 23:41:47

Sleep well.

ZebraOwl Tue 25-Jun-13 23:56:18

I was more meaning exacerbated by fatigue - so he's less able to compensate when tired - than directly caused by it, sorry, wasn't expressed terribly well!

Think it might be worth investing in a supercheap babygrow for purposes of keeping scabby area covered? Would also help ensure Fucidin doesn't end up smeared about the house/all over you & DS1 wink Understand made tricky by toileting problems (might need to be a pack of babygrows?) but might be worth it on balance. And if he looked cute in the Tshirt, just imagine how cute this'd be!

I hope you all sleep well & that you, Toffee, are able to look after your own needs as well as everyone else's as cozie said. You have a safe space to unload here if you need to. Be gentle with yourself blodyn.

N'night.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 26-Jun-13 07:40:39

Oh yes, you're probably right about the fatigue making his wobbliness worse, zebra. And I very much like the idea of a babygrow to stop him itching (cuteness overload).

DS1, ToffeeKitten and I all slept very well. ToffeeKitten woke me up at 4, asking for food. He is so thin that I think he should eat whenever he wants, so I fed him. Then he came back to his place in between us and started biting at his scabs again. Everytime I gently pulled his paw away, he answered me back with a silent (and rather bolshy, I may say) miaw, but he did stop in the end and fell asleep beside me.

He has eaten again this morning and seems quite perky. No upset tum for now. I think the antibiotics and probiotics are working their magic for now.

As for DH - I can see that he is going to be sleeping on his own for the foreseeable future.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 07:53:38

They must be itching like the very devil - and I quite agree. If he wants food, give him whatever he fancies.

ZebraOwl Wed 26-Jun-13 10:29:10

There is anti-scratch babygrow (such a weird word, now I think about it...) precedent already set, so is Perfectly Reasonable Measure, yes oh the cuteness.

Glad you all slept well. Totally agree about feeding him whenever he feels inclined to eat.

Hope that you all have a good day smile

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Wed 26-Jun-13 16:05:46
ToffeeWhirl Wed 26-Jun-13 18:57:05

I love the fact that I have a good medical excuse for buying those items, Diary grin.

Now see what you have made me do ....

Stop this madness now!

ToffeeWhirl Wed 26-Jun-13 19:06:43

Huuuge disposable litter trays just arrived from Amazon. Perfect. I can cut them down to size when necessary.

ToffeeKitten very needy today. Have discovered that the best thing to do is wrap him in a towel and carry him around with me.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 19:12:49

That will comfort him.

(I'm not even commenting on the - TUTU for goodness sake! grin)

ToffeeWhirl Wed 26-Jun-13 19:24:01

grin

ToffeeWhirl Wed 26-Jun-13 23:27:59

ToffeeKitten has eaten another plateful of food and is now tucked up next to DS1, both fast asleep. He has actually put his head on DS1's pillow smile.

He seems much brighter since he started on the antibiotics. No more sickness or upset tum. That must have been making him feel really rotten.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 23:34:11

That's good - nice to hear of a happy kit.smile

Back later. I have to go and watch some of my current favourite movie 'Battleship'.

'Are you mad? That's a museum!

'NOT TODAY'

Hooey Zooey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now