Birman cat

(119 Posts)
EMUZ Sun 02-Jun-13 20:43:13

Disclaimer that it is not mine grin
She follows me everywhere, I mean to the shop (then sits outside and waits for me), to the car (then tries to get in the car)
Comes in the window and follows me round the house yowling. Won't let any other cat near me and hissed/spat at a neighbours cat yesterday that came over for a stroke
Is this normal for a Birman?! I mean, I just don't get why she yowls at me all the time. I don't speak cat and I'm sure she's thinking "stupid human" confused

cozietoesie Mon 03-Jun-13 14:11:12

Ah right! Well there are frequently oriental cats (including Siamese, Birman, Balinese, Tonks etc) looking for homes - including older housecats whose owners may have died or been unable to continue looking after them. Have a look see on the net - just google for xxxxxx rescue and most if not all of them have websites.

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 14:14:48

I will have a look smile
Said cat has just face planted the window jumping up to get in and not realising it was closed. She looks a little ashamed

cozietoesie Mon 03-Jun-13 14:15:44

You rotter. Let her in.

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 14:27:01

I did blush but I'm covered in sun cream and got bloody fur everywhere now. Plus I'm sat in the back garden and I don't think she's bright enough to work out how to get out to the front again

ProtegeMoi Mon 03-Jun-13 15:20:15

Definately suitable for an apartment ;)

And definately suitable for a non cat lover as they are known for being quite dog like.

Quite cross at the owners letting a cat with no wild instinct and safety knowledge wander around all night, they are lucky it hasn't been killed in the road.

ProtegeMoi Mon 03-Jun-13 15:23:09

I would put a note on her collar saying if this is your cat call this number with my phone number on it, at least you can then make sure she definately belongs to someone and is being fed etc.

She sounds desperate to get in so why isn't she going home?

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 15:55:40

No collar. Have asked some neighbours I saw today who said oh yes we think she belongs to X but we don't know and we've never met them
Offered her some water which she drank a little and she's sat purring on the windowsill (window open so she can get back out)

ProtegeMoi Mon 03-Jun-13 17:22:07

Cut a thin strip of paper, write on it, and secure it with tape round her neck, makeshift collar!

I find it very hard to believe a cat that costs so much for one is roaming free with no collar and suspect she is lost and dosnt belong where you think.

Ubermumsy Mon 03-Jun-13 22:46:58

Indeed protege, pedigree Orientals are proper pricey. I like your idea of a makeshift collar. The other alternative is to take her to the local vet or rescue centre and see if she's chipped.

Theironfistofarkus Mon 03-Jun-13 22:54:23

Emuz, may I ask where you live? PM me if you prefer. I have lost my lovely Birman who looks exactly like that. Is a boy though so maybe not mine. His sister is missing him badly. Would be so amazing if it was him!

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 22:56:46

PM sent. Just seen paper collar post
This is her today coming from my back door to window (and the sound she constantly makes)

cozietoesie Mon 03-Jun-13 23:01:14

She is just gorgeous. Do you think she'd let you groom her a little? (Looks as though she could do with some.)

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 23:03:43

Hahahahaha. Sorry. I tried to pull a twig from under her belly today and after risking life and limb resorted to 2 knitting needles which she promptly bit
What can I groom her with? <does horses, not cats>

MouseSquirrelMum Mon 03-Jun-13 23:05:11

She looks like my cat. But younger I think (hope). Please say you aren't in Cheshire

We let ours go in and out as they choose, I'm hoping she's not bothering someone secretly!

Re the talking, I talk back too. Birmans are very chatty and friendly (and loud!) and ours always welcome me home and shout hello when they come in.

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 23:07:43

Not in Cheshire grin
She doesn't bother me at all (except the 4/5am wake up yowls) in fact she's an absolute honey to have around. I do tend to let her wander in and out as she pleases. Although she was forcibly put outside today and not happy about it
From what I can gather she does have a home but given we have never seen them I don't think they are about much and she adores humans I think!

MouseSquirrelMum Mon 03-Jun-13 23:17:00

If you want to groom her, a little brush will be good. Our brush is soft one side and spikier the other side for knotty bits. Start off stroking with the brush and then it can turn into grooming. For some reason, when I groom ours they want to groom me and/or eat the brush, so I give them a hand to lick whilst I use the other to brush!
Hope theironfist's cat comes home soon.

EMUZ Mon 03-Jun-13 23:35:26

I may try it cautiously. Her tummy bit looks knotty but she spends a lot of time licking herself
I have a feeling if I offer her a hand to groom I will get claws impaled in it

cozietoesie Tue 04-Jun-13 00:03:17

Don't try the tummy at this stage. Go for back and flanks and start off with just a gentle odd brush interspersed with strokes so that she can get used to it. Best to keep it to a very short session when she's already relaxed on your lap.

EMUZ Tue 04-Jun-13 00:19:29

Ok smile
I have to go to pet shop tomorrow for fish and hamster stuff anyway <too many pets> so I will grab a brush

Do you think a Birman would be a cat that could cope in a two dog, four guinea pig, two chicken household? Oh and two dc grin the children would really like a cat but it would need a strong personality in our slightly madcap household!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Jun-13 16:01:37

Scone, try a bengal. Very strong personality.

The dogs may never forgive you though, we know a dog who is not allowed upstairs anymore now the cat has decided dogs are downstairs pets.

EMUZ Tue 04-Jun-13 16:41:23

Right, fish have a new filter to fit, hamster has a new food toy, horse has new shampoo and cat has a brush grin
Am going to be surrounded by sodding animals and none of them are normal

cozietoesie Tue 04-Jun-13 16:44:14

Personally, Scone, I'd go for a ginger tom if I were you. Never met one yet that didn't have inner resources.

ProtegeMoi Tue 04-Jun-13 19:31:47

I have 3 DC, 2 Rotties and several rodents along with my 2 Birmans, Ragdoll and moggy. They all get on fine, easier to bring a kitten into a home with a dog then the other way round and the cat is ALWAYS the boss.

Right now there are 2 very large dogs squished up on a cold floor because the cat has stolen BOTH their beds!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Jun-13 19:42:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now