Most and least useful bit of cat equipment?

(40 Posts)
Almostalwayshappy Sat 18-May-13 12:32:55

I'm very excited as we have today been approved by our local cat rescue as suitable adoptees. They have a laid back six-year-old black and white short haired cat in mind for us (the laid back bit is important as we have a dog and two teenagers). I grew up with cats, but haven't lived with one for over twenty years. As far as kit goes, we are starting from scratch smile. Have you bought a litter tray/cat bed/scratching post/collar/cat flap that has worked brilliantly...or one that turned out to be hopeless? I've been lurking on The Litter Tray for a while and would be very grateful for your tips/recommendations/warnings. Did I mention I was excited?

Lovethesea Sat 18-May-13 17:22:03

I'd say collar unnecessary if microchipped, and avoids the possible choke risk and annoying factor for the cat!

Mine sleep on our beds too.

Almostalwayshappy Sat 18-May-13 17:59:12

Just had a call from the lady who is fostering the cat we were hoping to adopt. Someone else is interested in him and is seeing him tomorrow. Sounds as though he may go to them before we get back from our hols (which is why we can't adopt for two weeks). Trying to be philosophical. The main thing is he goes to a good home and then the fostering lady will have room for one more, so one more rescued if you see what I mean. If this one isn't for us, then there will be another we can offer a home to. The cat rescue lady was lovely on the phone and has a dog, so at least we know if we have a cat which she has fostered, it will be used to sharing a house with a dog. Thank again for all your suggestions...I am making a list. floralnomad smile at Raggie's anti-dog stance. It may have been my imagination, but think Dog looked a bit relieved when I told DDs we might have to wait for longer than two weeks before we find the right cat for us!

deliasmithy Sat 18-May-13 18:17:38

There are some hilarious cat chasing dog videos on you tube.

Sorry to read you might not get the cat you thought you would, you will find the right cat for you soon! We adopted a black and white adult cat recently and she is just fabulous - so so friendly, I cannot recommend adopting an adult cat enough.

I would def get a bed, my cat loves sleeping in her beds, we have a triangle one, a doughnut one and a fleecy pad one and she sleeps in them all. She is actually quite odd because she only sleeps in her beds!

Toys are hit and miss.
She largely ignores her scratching post although she does like climbing on it.
A hooded litter tray is a must IMO.
A collar is fine as long as it is a safety one.

Almostalwayshappy Sat 18-May-13 20:19:23

Thanks for the encouragement fluffy. How old was your cat when you got her?

She is three (they think), it has been such an easy adjustment, she has settled in very quickly.

Almostalwayshappy Sat 18-May-13 21:09:52

So glad to hear that Fluffy...it sounds as though you have made a lovely home for her...lucky cat!

Almostalwayshappy Sun 02-Jun-13 17:37:13

Update...this afternoon we became the proud adoptive family of Mrs Martha Hudson, a black cat with yellow eyes. She has had a bit of a rotten time, but is very friendly so far. She was taken in by a lovely foster family who volunteer for an animal rescue charity when she was in labour. Two of her kittens were deformed and died, the other two are awaiting adoption. She rejected them, possibly because she was traumatised. She has had a broken toe at some point so her claw sticks out at on odd angle. She has bald patches on her back legs maybe because of poor nutrition, but her coat is in good condition otherwise. She has runny eyes from conjunctivitis, which we have anti-biotics for. She seems a bit OCD, walking the perimeter of the rooms, but not distressed. She has put the dog very firmly in his place and is very relaxed around him. Thank you for all the advice on what to buy her. We love her already and will post a photo when she had settled in.

Poor Martha, she has had a rough time of it.

Almostalwayshappy Sun 02-Jun-13 17:56:04

Fluffy We wanted Martha because she seemed like she needed a break! She's purring and walking around upstairs (the dog is banned from upstairs). I hope she likes it here. She hasn't used any of the new kit we bought for her, but I expect she'll want to settle in first.

cozietoesie Sun 02-Jun-13 18:03:16

Oh well done - and Mrs Hudson sounds as though she's adapting well. What a nice thing for her to get a loving permanent home after all her troubles.

Be prepared for virtually none of the things you bought her to be used, ever. I could buy myself a rather nice handbag if I had all the money I'd spent on things that I liked the look of but the cat at the time couldn't be bothered about.

Love is what really matters to them - and sounds like she's going to get that fine.

smile

Almostalwayshappy Sun 02-Jun-13 18:44:09

Thanks Cozie, she's already being loved to bits by DDs! I managed not to spend too much before we brought her home so I could see what she actually needed rather than what the DDs thought was cute. I can't believe all the stuff that's available and probably completely useless. I always thought this house needed a cat...and I was right! It was lurking on here, reading all the Cat Litter posts that convinced me now was the time. Very happy.

sashh Mon 03-Jun-13 07:10:07

Mine loves her scratching post, it really needs replacing.

She's the first cat I have had that doesn't react to cat nip.

MinkyWinky Mon 03-Jun-13 11:48:33

Hi Almostalwayshappy! Martha sounds like she's got the break she deserves smile.

Don't worry about the kit not being used yet. We bought two cat beds for the two we adopted both of which were ignored for about a month. Since then BatCat has taken ownership of both of them (and another one that we bought later as it was more enclosed and the fluffy tunnel. Oh and the fluffy blanket on the top of the sofa...). Fluffcat has taken over one of the sofas as 'his' bed and refuses to contemplate a cat bed.

After the sofas being scratched regularly, we finally found a scratch post that they both will use.

I guess what I'm saying is that just because she's not using it now, doesn't mean she won't in the future. (We now have a system that anything the two of them haven't taken to, goes to the cat rescue they came from, so it will get used eventually!)

cozietoesie Mon 03-Jun-13 12:05:33

Good system. I give any unopened food where Seniorboy decides he doesn't like the brand anymore to CPL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now