My lovely cat is poorly, could really do with some advice...

(26 Posts)
Chocamochalatte Wed 15-May-13 18:07:00

My four year old cat is poorly, has got gradually worse over a week but we only really realised last night. I have no money so can't take him to the vets sad

My other cat had kittens a week go so we thought this was the reason he was being a bit 'off' However we can now see that he's lost a lot of weight, barely eating or drinking and sleeping more than normal sad

He doesn't appear to be in any pain and doesn't mind being picked up. He is doing one 'odd' thing which is yowling almost when we put him in front of food before trying to eat it...

I've been and bought wet food as he normally has dry to try and tempt him, what else an I do? If I had money in my account I'd be straight down to the vets but I don't. I don't even have money for food this week, that's how tight things are at the moment. I really want to be able to help him, does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be? :'(

Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:14:41

I think cats protection /blue cross or local animal charity might help with getting him seen by the vets. As he is howling and has lost weight - can you look in his mouth to see if there is anything stuck in there - say a bone or something stopping him eating. Really think you need to get him to a vets as this has been going on for a few weeks. Has he been neutered? Our male cat does this weird miowing/low pitch growling as he is excited as its spring! But this would not explain being off food. Have you tried him with some tuna (in water not the brine) or a cooked chicken breast? Sorry just thinking of ideas to help. Hopefully a vet or vet nurse will be along shortly.

Mel x

Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:16:26

http://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/faq/-/question/ENQConcernVetsBills/category/Pets/

Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:19:15

Pdsa could help with vet bills - see below:

https://m.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility

Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:22:00

Tailwaggers another charity - try emailing their admin email address at the bottom of the home page.

http://tailwaggersclubtrust.com/

Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:22:19
Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:22:53

Fixing links Pdsa could help with vet bills - see below:

https://m.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility

cozietoesie Wed 15-May-13 18:22:54

I see that things are tight Choca but I think you must get him to a vet - and I also think Melissakitkat's thought about an obstruction is a distinct possibility. As I understand it, vets legally have to treat where a cat is in distress (and worry about payment later) so could you possibly take him and see if you can arrange some sort of payment plan afterwards? Do you have any family members that you could borrow some cash from?

Melissakitkat Wed 15-May-13 18:23:33
Chocamochalatte Wed 15-May-13 18:36:20

Thank you for all the links, I had no idea any help was available, although it seems we don't qualify as only in receipt of tax credits I will call a vets first thing in the morning and explain the situation, hopefully they'll still help.

I had already checked inside his mouth, def no obstructions. He's not in pain but obviously not right, the 'yowling' doesn't seem to be in pain but more like talking to me iyswim??

Chocamochalatte Wed 15-May-13 18:44:26

Cositosie, no family members close by, even if they were they wouldn't help, they wouldn't even offer money to help with food for DTs, luckily I've got amazing friends, just feel like its too much to even ask a friend even though I'm sure they'd help sad

We've been lucky enough not to have been in this situation before but now we are and are struggling to get out of it, we will but its going to take time. Just doesn't help now!

When we got our cats I never dreamed we'd ever be in a position where we couldn't help them. How things change sad

cozietoesie Wed 15-May-13 18:46:41

He could indeed be talking to you - sort of an 'I'm hungry but I can't eat this, so do something Mum'.

I still think some sort of obstruction (or maybe a dental issue) is a fair bet with such a young cat; and they can be difficult to spot sometimes. In any case, it pretty well has to be the vet and they'll be best placed to diagnose.

Good luck with him.

In my experience I have found that many vets will actually treat the animal and let you pay later. They will just give you an invoice. Hopefully you will find an understanding one. I have had to pay for treatment for one of my dogs in instalments before as it was such a high amount. On one occasion the vets claimed from the insurance company directly without me paying (couldn't afford to - it was over a thousand pounds wort of treatment). Is the cat insured? If so, they may be willing to do that, if it is over your excess.

Hope your little cat will be ok by the way.

cozietoesie Wed 15-May-13 18:48:50

Just ask yourself whether if you had the money you'd help them out in a similar situation and relax about it - because you'll pay them back when times improve, eh? This is what friends do.

cozietoesie Wed 15-May-13 18:50:09

PS - if it is some sort of obstruction, that's usually relatively easily sorted and not too expensive. At least the vet will be able to give you an idea of the scale of the problem.

Chocamochalatte Wed 15-May-13 20:45:09

Well, my friends popped over and said she'll lend me the money if I need it, wouldn't take no for answer, she's very lovely, and you're right Cozie, i wouldnt hesitate to do it or a friend. I've also found a vets with drop in sessions so no appointment needed, it's also one that's been recommended so going to get there for 9am.

Have just noticed that poorly cat has dilated eyes, reacting but not right, obviously not a good sign I don't think sad

cozietoesie Wed 15-May-13 21:22:43

All the best for tomorrow morning then. Let us know how he gets on.

Yes all the best with him. I'm also concerned to read that your other cat had kittens. Was she also not neutered due to lack of money? There are lots of schemes that give vouchers for neutering - Cats Protection or the RSPCA should be able to advise you on that.

cozietoesie Thu 16-May-13 12:14:59

Did you manage to get him to the vet Choca?

Melissakitkat Thu 16-May-13 18:09:17

Just checking in to hear how the cat is. X

QueenStromba Thu 16-May-13 19:12:58

How'd he get on at the vets?

Chocamochalatte Thu 16-May-13 22:36:53

We took him to the vets this morning, she said he was anaemic, possibly it was leukaemia but lots of tests needed to tell, basically anything to do with anaemia is bad news and apart from lots of invasive surgery and things like dialysis there's nothing else they can do. She advised us the kindest thing was to put him to sleep so we brought him home, spent the day with him, let DTs say their goodbyes (it was awful) and took him back to the vets. The worst thing I've ever had to do. Never want to have to do it again, can't remember the last time I cried like this sad

Re our cat that had kittens, yes you're right, the reason she wasn't neutered was / is due to lack of funds. We never planned to have her, she was living with a friend of a friend and at five months old they decided she'd out stayed her welcome and were basically chucking her out on the streets, so rightly or wrongly I took her in...

cozietoesie Thu 16-May-13 22:42:50

Oh Dear.

sad

Melissakitkat Fri 17-May-13 07:04:43

Am so sorry to hear you news. At least he is no longer in pain. Big hugs to you and your family xxx you did a brave thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now