What is your cat called?

(162 Posts)
BestestBrownies Tue 14-May-13 11:54:04

Just being nosy really and looking for inspiration

Does the name you've chosen suit him/her because of looks/personality or is it so inappropriate as to be ironic?

Also, does anyone give their pedigree cat a ridiculous moniker (a la Crufts), then a 'normal' nickname or is that just for dogs?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 14-May-13 16:42:52

Mr Chow. He's Siamese and I used to work at Mr Chow's in London a long time ago. smile

PipkinsPal Tue 14-May-13 16:45:24

I have a Barnaby and Troy (Midsomer Murders). Previously O'Malley a grey tabby but I used to call him Malley or Malleykins. When I was a child we had a Blue Point Siamese called William, I hated him and he hated me but his kennel name was Frosty Jonjans (John and Jan being his breeders).

pinkbear82 Tue 14-May-13 16:45:47

fozzie - my currently missing ginger ninja, he's been gone two weeks, and his tabby sister Pixie - also Nicknamed thunder cat for her lack of ability to be light on her feet!

I used to have Marmite too, he was all black and had a bit of a rough start in life I took him in and the name seemed fitting.

Neko basu - Japanese for cat bus, as seen in the film My Neighbour Totoro
Jiji - cat in the film Kiki's Delivery Service

My cat is called Bobby, after the one in the Railway Children, and the kitten is Brunel after the engineer.

My cat is called Bobby, after the one in the Railway Children, and the kitten is Brunel after the engineer.

woozlebear Tue 14-May-13 16:57:33

Bear (also known as Barsoom / Poobah / PB) and Woozle (also known as Wozkin or Woo).

My family tend to adopt cats so our names for them end up being random nicknames derived (often via multi-staged permutations) from the names they came with.

CarpeVinum Tue 14-May-13 17:13:56

I have

Poppy
Marigold
Cleo
MariSol
Sooty
Whiskers
Snowball

and my former bottle fed baby who runs my life ...Lilly.

MMollyMum2 Tue 14-May-13 17:15:40

Fred and George. grin
They are twins (only two in the litter) and are ginger toms. Suit it perfectly as both are trouble makers.
We named them before the last Harry Potter book came out though...

spanky2 Tue 14-May-13 17:54:15

Fluffy - Fluffity ,fuff fuff , fliff fluff.
Mostyn - Moss, Beast, saucy boy.

Wishiwasanheiress Tue 14-May-13 17:59:38

Cats are maincoons. I wanted matching names, so we went for Ella (Fitzgerald) and Duke (Ellington) as we like the music.

Ella liked hers. Boy cat hated it. Refused to answer. Googled bit more and found Bo Duke off dukes hazard. Cat loved it. Now known as Bo Bo bear. And he is a big brown bear cat. Suits him perfectly.

HeyMicky Tue 14-May-13 18:03:54

Schrodinger. Because I am a wanker. Ding for short.

DH has vetoed Pavlov when we get a dog

HeyMicky Tue 14-May-13 18:08:18

Ah, snap, CMOT!

My mum's friend had a cat with the name Pussldoo, because when her daughter asked what they would call it, that was her answer grin

superbagpuss Tue 14-May-13 18:12:31

every cat has three names
his official name at the vet
the name you actually call him
the name he answers to, that nobody knows

on that basis I have
willow/pillow cat/? female tabby
saffron/saffy cat/? female tortie
emo/ emo meemo pinkle panther/? black male

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now