Some bastard has hit my cat.

(295 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 12:57:59

Some fucking shit ran over my cat!

My neighbour called me and said someone was speeding down our road ( which drives me mad as we have a school and nursery near us and it is 20 mph, but that's another thread....) and our cat ran across the road and they hit it. Get this they slowed then fucking drove off, did not even get out to see if he was okay.

So I had to take all three of my children home to see if he was dead bloody traumatic for them ( he was not dead) he is now at the vets with god knows what wrong with him, when I picked Him up and put him in my car he collapsed.

So to the Aibu can I watch out for the car as i have the reg and a good description and stick hundreds of post it notes thanking them for not getting out of the car the bastards? angry

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 01-May-13 13:17:49

What a terrible shame. Your poor cat sad I do hope he makes a recovery. We lost my most beautiful and favourite cat about three years ago on a very busy main road. I don't even know why he ventured that far. He hadn't even been missing, but it just so happened as I was on my way home I saw a council worker who was clearing the verges picking him up so I managed to bring him home and bury him. Other wise I'd never have known what had happened to him.

I actually hit a cat not long after passing my driving test. I was completely hysterical and DH had to go and try and find it (it ran off after we hit it into a fair ground on the other side of the road) I went to the police station to report it but they pretty much laughed at me or being so traumatised about it, the bastards!

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:20:06

When on a school run myself I witnessed someone hitting a cat. They got out got a blanket out the car and sat with the cat whilst he died whilst me and some other mums knocked on doors. We did find the owner and she was so thankful he was not alone when he died.

Callisto Wed 01-May-13 13:20:35

DH worked out a while ago that insurance wasn't worth it for us and the occasional huge vets bill is actually cheaper than shelling out ££ every month, especially as they get older.

I feel for you, I've had cats run over before and it's awful, in fact it's one reason I won't have another.

Latara Wed 01-May-13 13:22:25

Hoping your cat will pull through, x

YoniConnect Wed 01-May-13 13:23:01

So sorry OP - this happened to my cat last year. Unfortunately the outcome was not good, and she was PTS.

Hope your kitty is ok flowers

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-May-13 13:23:07

I have twice had to stop and pick up one injured and one dead cat. I now keep a box and blankets in the car specifically. sad

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-May-13 13:24:33

In the case of the injured cat the car two in front of me hit it. people were driving round it as it somersaulted. Then got all tutty when I stopped the traffic to pick it up. sad

DublinMammy Wed 01-May-13 13:25:36

Heartless bastards, so sorry, hope your cat pulls through...

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:26:00

Not sure how to link names but Samuel that is just mean it is a traumatic thing to hit an animal.

Callisto that was our opinion as well although I take a different view for the dog not sure if that is logical though?

At the last count for the emergency treatment it was £700 so god knows what the bill will be. But no news is good news right?

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 01-May-13 13:28:02

This happened to one of my Mum's cats a few years back - first they knew was when he appeared at the cat flap, trying to drag himself and a mangled leg through it. sad He recovered though and is still a bouncy happy lad, even with only 3 legs.

Fingers tightly crossed your little puss is ok.

And massively insensitive to use the 'driver didn't have to stop' card as a first response there justforlaughs. hmm

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:28:11

See that's what makes me so mad maybe I am too soft but I can't even dispatch the creatures the cat brings in let alone leave an injured one in the road.

Fecklessdizzy Wed 01-May-13 13:28:21

Scumbag driver. Hope your cat's OK.

Zepherial So sorry - poor cat, and poor you. Really hope all will be well. flowers

Oh that's just so awful sad Ffs legal or not he shoulda stopped!!! I hope your poor cats ok xx

thanks

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Wed 01-May-13 13:30:33

Sorry about your cat.

I ran a cat over once, there was nothing I could do, it shot out on on country road. I did get out to check but it was dead. The worse bit was I couldn't find anyone to tell and he didn't have a collar. sad

I hope your moggie feels better soon.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 01-May-13 13:30:49

Your poor cat, I hope he's okaysad

The driver should have stopped, it is just basic humanity.

I had a cat run out of me on the way to work the other week, dark cat on a dark night, not speeding, just shot out. I didn't hit it but I was very shaken, it's an awful feeling.

skyblue11 Wed 01-May-13 13:33:33

If it's any help my cat was run over too, she had teeth removed and couldn't walk due to her hips being 'shunted' she spent 6 weeks in a cage and so she couldn't jump and cause further damage and she went on to live another 7 years!

I hope you're insured, I hope your cat is going to be OK, fingers crossed..

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:34:27

Thanks to all of you for our nice words.

Out of interest what do I have to do to try and get speed bumps put in our road?

I realise you make think that excessive for a cat but a young boy sped down our road and crashed into a parked car not long ago. As I said we have a nursery and school accessed by our road and opposite me are some old people's flats. We always have speeding cars on our road and ironically it seems to be late parents collecting who are speeding most of the time.

Autumn12 Wed 01-May-13 13:37:03

I hope your Cat is Ok!

I live in fear of something happening to one of my Cats. They have only recently started going outside at 3 years old, and I ahte it if they don't come back after 10 minutes or so.

piprabbit Wed 01-May-13 13:37:09

Get in touch with your local councillor about speed bumps. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:37:10

Sky blue that sounds like my cat, maybe his legs will be okay?

My husband seems to think he will be okay as that would have rung by now with x ray results.... Here's hoping x

cozietoesie Wed 01-May-13 13:38:06

I'd probably speak, in the first instance, or write, to your local councillor listing all the points you've made.

So sorry about your cat, Zepherial.

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:38:06

Thanks pip will look not that.

oranotherstickybun Wed 01-May-13 13:38:47

So sorry for you and your family and poor cat. We have a three legged cat who is faster than our four legged one! Really hope he recovers .xxx

Zepherial Wed 01-May-13 13:39:08

Stoopid iPad I meant look into that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now