Cat won't come in at night now weather is warmer

(12 Posts)
ElephantsTeaParty Wed 01-May-13 16:52:09

Is the garage attached to the house? If so, could you put another catflap in the internal door? We have this - rented property and can't put one in the exterior door, so leave the bathroom window open and have a flap in the bathroom door to stop the local toms getting into the house (microchip sensor).

Worth a thought?

VeganCow Wed 01-May-13 16:47:28

One of mine likes to stay out in summer.
We have a plastic cat igloo sheltered among bushes in the garden so at least if it rains he is ok.

If you want a cat flap in a double glazed unit you need to contact a few local double glazing companies for a quote. You will need to give them the size of the pane of glass it would need to go into. They will then make a new double glazed pane with the cat flap hole in it, and will even put the cat flap in the hole for you, and they will then replace the pane of glass in your door. So you will have a spare one and can even change it back sometime if necessary. The price really depends on the size of the double glazed unit that will need replacing.

joey99 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:38:53

Oh wow haven't seen a cat flap in glass before - i'll definitely have a look but does look pricey.
Gemma - I thought about keeping her in after tea but once evenings are warm and the doors and windows will be open it wouldn't work. Luckily she is asleep on the sofa now so she is not going back out tonight which means I can go to bed when I like instead of staying up standing at the door calling like a mad woman!

GemmaTeller Tue 30-Apr-13 21:20:30

We have a one year old male and he has a cat curfew - once he comes in for his tea (usually between 5-6) he stays in.

He goes out about 8am, pops back several times but is up and down the trees, over on the field and generally tires himself out.

Sorry, cross post

It's possible to put catflaps in sealed unit French doors (see my profile pics) but it would cost you at least a couple of hundred pounds. It's also possible to put them in walls, even thick ones - you just get a tunnel thing to go with it.

Is she neutered?

joey99 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:59:28

Yes she is neutered - didn't risk letting her out until then she had been done. But from my previous experience my old girl cat didn't go right off wandering like our new one is - I thought it was boy cats who were the adventurous ones normally

joey99 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:56:13

No we have really thick walls and sealed unit French doors so nowhere for a catflap which is annoying. There is one in the garage but we haven't bothered showing her that as it isn't very cosy in there and we want her indoors at night really. I did think she was a bit little to be out all night but thought I would gauge opinion. I suppose I could alter her feed times so she only has a few mouthfuls of sachet at 4 or 5pm and then feed her at 9 or 10pm so she will get in habit of coming home for some more food then. I'll see how tonight goes - thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:52:02

Is she neutered?

She seems a bit young to leave out all night. Can you get a cat flap?

joey99 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:41:34

Last night our cat who is only about 7 months old went out for a wander at 7pm and didn't come home until 11.30pm - I was calling her, shaking her biscuits etc every few minutes but she must have gone right off a long way away. We don't have a cat flap and I really needed to go to bed but couldn't until she was home - it must be what is it like having a teenager! Our old cat used to sleep outside at night in the summer but only when it was warmer than this but is it ok to leave a young cat out overnight when weather is nice? If not I can see some late nights for me this summer waiting for her to return

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now