Another missing cat thread :-(

(35 Posts)
happymummy2010 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:15:01

We rehomed a cat 6 weeks ago and he settled in well. He started exploring our garden 2 weeks ago and always came back when we called him or shook his box of food. We always made sure he didn't go out at night
. Last night however he went out at 7pm and hasn't come home since.

My husband has spent all day searching for him with no luck. My 9yr old DS is devastated.

Mikey the cat is microchipped and was wearing a collar with a disc with my phone number on.. But he is nowhere to be seen. He was neutered at Battersea before we rehomed him.

We have asked all our neighbours but no one has seen him. I'm a bit worried he may have been Hurt by a fox.. How likely is that to have happened ?

Any other suggestions or ideas of what we can do to find him ?

QueenStromba Wed 01-May-13 19:08:42

Brilliant news!

happymummy2010 Wed 01-May-13 20:24:26

He is home grin

He was found quite a distance from our house. He was hiding on someone's drive. Luckily he was still wearing his collar so the people who found him could contact me.

He seems very thin and quite weak, but otherwise unharmed. Do you think we need to get him checked out at the vet ?

He has had a meal and is now crying by the back door to go outside again !

Any advice on how long to leave it before we let him out again ? I assume I need to leave it a few days for him to get used to the house again ? Any tips so he doesn't wonder off again ?

Thanks to you all for your support

QueenStromba Wed 01-May-13 20:48:35

Great that he's back smile

If you're worried about him then you should take him to the vet for your own sanity. He could well be dehydrated, it hasn't rained the last few days and you don't know if he's been locked in a shed or something.

I still think you should give Battersea a call and ask where he used to live. If it turns out that he had tried to go to his old house then at the very least you'll know where he's likely to be if he goes missing again and you can ask the neighbours to look out for him and call you if he turns up there. Maybe his old owners had to give him up because they had to move and the people who live there now have been wondering who the random cat that's been hanging around is.

Oh thank heavens for that. Sometimes if it rains heavily they can't smell their way back home.

I'd keep him in for at least a week, just so he re-acclimatises to home.

cozietoesie Wed 01-May-13 20:56:05

Thank goodness - and ground him for a good few days anyway. At the very least until he's got his strength and weight back to your satisfaction.

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-May-13 21:00:43

You will sleep well tonight happy. I bet your DS is thrilled. smile

happymummy2010 Wed 01-May-13 21:10:01

Yes.. DS is very pleased and didn't want to go to bed and leave him.

I did call Battersea today to register him as missing and the girl I spoke to said that once the cats are rehomed all their details get deleted. I would be very surprised if this is the case... Maybe she got it wrong ?

I will phone back tomorrow to let them know he had been found and will ask again.

I'll see how he is in the morning and decide whether he needs to visit the vet. He is curled up in his normal position on the stairs now smile

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-May-13 21:10:58

smile Another happy ending.

That's great news. I'm so pleased.

QueenStromba Thu 02-May-13 08:29:44

Seems strange if they do delete the details straight away especially since you can see the Battersea vet for the first three months for conditions related to their stay. Maybe the vets have files that the receptionist can't access or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now