helping the other cat

(3 Posts)
lemonsherbet Wed 01-May-13 09:42:50

Just wanted to say thank you. She is alot better at the moment. wants extra attention and reassurance and still looking. But we are no longer having the screaming episodes. Wanted to just say thanks for being so reassuring that it would settle.

I'm really sorry. That's awful for both of you. It's sometimes recommended that, where cats are close, the other cat is allowed to see the dead body of its friend to help it to understand. However it's obviously too late to do that now.

She will come to accept it in time so right now I think all you can do is give her extra attention and may be let her sleep with you if she wants to.

lemonsherbet Sun 28-Apr-13 13:29:59

Hi

We have a brother and sister cat, that are 8 years old. Unfortunately my cat seemed off colour last week so I took him to the vet on Monday and he was kept in and was improving, but on wednesday he worsened and developed breathing problems and we found out that his bone marrow was no longer working so it was kindest to put him to sleep. Naturally we are upset about this.

His sister has been searching for him and seems to becoming more distressed. This morning she was screaming for him and demanding all the doors in the house were opened for her. She then sits there screaming at me. I have tried picking her up or stroking her but am not sure what to do to help. I am trying to wash anything he may of laid on but it was really heartbreaking this morning. Prior to that she has been searching and chattering but this morning was definite shouting. This is the first cat we have lost, help me please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now