Letting a young cat out for the first time

(10 Posts)
ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Sat 27-Apr-13 13:23:41

My 2 boys are similar age and just starting to go out- I have sent the children out with them (peace perfect peace wink) They seem to be quite cautious, and I have the door open so they can come in and out and get used to it.

Still worried about letting them out on their own, but I'll cross that bridge later...

Growlithe Sat 27-Apr-13 13:20:19

She's just had her first sniffty round the garden. She was very cautious but did well. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:43:34

grin at Kithlu!

Kithulu Thu 25-Apr-13 23:00:32

I just opened the backdoor <bad cat mom>

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 25-Apr-13 22:41:53

I train mine to the tap of a spoon on a stainless steel bowl (the noise travels further). I make the noise before every mealtime for around a week before I let them out. I then let them out around an hour before a meal so they don't travel to far.

Growlithe Thu 25-Apr-13 20:37:34

Thanks for your answers. flowers I'm going to get her used to the rattle of the food meaning, well, food. Then we'll bite the bullet at the weekend.

CarpeVinum Thu 25-Apr-13 17:48:54

Snap.

We've just started.

First I got her to recall (shake cat food bag, offer bit of smoked salmon/chicken when she comes up all interested)

So she comes when ai shake the bag no prob now (I keep on treating her just in case she goes off the boil.

She is allowed out for a couple of hours. She still dashes in when a car goes past, so seems keen on staying in the garden at the mo.

I will myself to not follow her round the garden micromanaging her and panicing if she so much as looks at the gate.

It feels pretty much like the first time I let DS cross roads all by himself. All proud, pleased they are revelling in their new independance, and insanely worried all at the same time.

FreckledLeopard Thu 25-Apr-13 17:37:08

Ours were a similar age and I was similarly worried about introducing them to the great outdoors.

My plan had been to stay with them, supervise them, tempt them back with food. Unfortunately, boy cat, within about 5 minutes of being outside, had jumped the fence and was several gardens away. Girl cat not far behind. When they did wander back, we grabbed them and brought them indoors, but realised it was a losing battle. They were off, exploring and extremely adept at navigation too, it seems, as they mastered the cat flap in seconds and have been diving in and out of it ever since.

Mine are microchipped and I had collars on them, but the collars came off in days, so I now just have to trust their judgement (gulp) and try not to worry. Touch wood, six months on, they seem fine....

Good luck!

Noggie Thu 25-Apr-13 17:33:10

We had same thing last year when we got two kittens- initially just let them out in garden with us just before feeding time so they were hungry to come back in. Then gradually let them out for longer and have them some dreamies as a treat when they came back when I called them- sure my neighbours think they have a mad cat lady! Enjoy your kittens x

Growlithe Thu 25-Apr-13 17:16:47

Hi, we have a 7 month old kitten who was neutered last Monday, and has had the stitches out today.

She has been desperate to go out for a couple of months now, and we've run out of excuses to keep her in!

We've only adopted adult cats before, all very streetwise. We live in a fairly green area with lots of gardens, and trees to climb, but a busy road quite near too.

Any tips on introducing her to the great outdoors?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now