Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Cat using veggie beds as outdoor litter tray

(10 Posts)
MrsMcGregor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:32:18

Help! How can I stop our cat (female, neuteured, 12 months old) using our raised veggie beds as a litter tray? I haven't planted anything yet and don't relish the thought of doing so! So, how well do I need to poo-pick the beds <cringe> and is there anything I can do to stop her doing this?

Thanks

Beamur Fri 19-Apr-13 22:35:24

You can discourage her, but always wear gloves when you garden - just in case!
Netting, smelly pellets, curry powder etc all may help a bit. Don't use disinfectant to clean up - something to do with ammonia, only use detergents.
I have an allotment a reasonable distance from any houses but still find the odd bit of cat shit in it.

Citrus peel, lion dung (can order on the web). I have the same problem but haven't yet tried the dung, plan to this year.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:40:52

It's because it's nice soft dug over earth.

I'm surprised my neighbours have any bulbs coming up at all given the amount of time our cats spends enthusiastically digging in their flower beds.

Weirdly, they seem to like him.

MrsMcGregor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:45:38

Thanks - will start with the easy option and sprinkle curry powder around the beds.

Right, so if I do tht and try tovrake out whatever poo is in there, can I plant my summer veggies safely without fear of poisoning anyone who nibbles a lettuce leaf grin?

thanks

Beamur Fri 19-Apr-13 22:46:08

We've survived.

MrsMcGregor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:47:21

smile

sashh Sat 20-Apr-13 03:40:06

Egg shells - two prickly for cats.

QueenStromba Sat 20-Apr-13 13:56:30

Chilli powder would be better than curry powder. Lemon peel would probably be better still - our cat seems to like curry.

gindrinker Sat 20-Apr-13 15:49:52

We've got the same issue, we've covered our patch with http://m.diy.com/mt/www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/pest-weed-control/landscaping_fabric/B-and-Q-Weed-Barrier-Sheet-5m-x-2m-10278350?tab=rev&action=detail&un_jtt_v_r=09 and cut holes for the plants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now