Cat names

(51 Posts)
DangerousMouse Fri 19-Apr-13 22:14:08

I love unusual names for cats, we are getting a kitten soon so looking for inspiration. Do your cats name suit their personality?

QueenStromba Sat 20-Apr-13 12:01:05

Cat farts are the worst aren't they? As a follow up to the cats knowing when you're upset thread, I was ill the other week so DP went out without me and proceeded to get very drunk and not come home til quite late. I got upset because I'm soppy and can't go to sleep without DP. Rice's effort to cheer me up was the most noxious smelling fart in the history of farts. It was so bad that I went hunting for the poo that she must have done because I've never experienced a fart with the smell and staying power of this one.

bettyswollocks16 Sun 21-Apr-13 02:09:02

My little girl cat is called Halle.

My son named her. She's got half a brown face and half a black face, with a line between the two straight down the middle of her nose. He said when we got her 'she's a half brown half black catwoman, just like Halle Berry!'

MortifiedAdams Sun 21-Apr-13 02:34:52

I know of cats called Piewacket and Pushkin.

Mine have human names, Rex and Phoebe, but if I get abother it will be RichardParker.

Sunnywithshowers Sun 21-Apr-13 03:02:39

We have a wonderful 19 year old tabby called Oscar. He is also known as Shpoofy, Boo, Boocat, Boodle, Fleabag, Stinky, Ratbag, Doodle, Schmuffy or Kitten, depending on our mood.

It doesn't make any difference what we call him now, he's mostly deaf smile

carameldecaflatte Sun 21-Apr-13 07:13:47

our cats are called Licks and Sketch. Licks does just that and in fact removed a large portion of her own fur in a post-baby (ours not hers) stress. Sketch because he is rather sketchy ie bonkers. They both only answer to "hello", Licks bolts at the merest hint of DS 10months looming in for a kiss and Sketch rolls over and plays dead.

fussychica Sun 21-Apr-13 16:04:12

Myone - because when she was born he feral mother deposited her on our window ledge along with he brother - she was so beautiful I said "that one is my one and you can have the other one" - who is Ziggy as he has two different eye colours like David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust).

lulu2 Sun 21-Apr-13 16:08:10

Our cat is called Mole because he looked like a mole when he was a kitten. I worry sometimes that we may have given him an identity crisis!

fussychica Sun 21-Apr-13 16:08:47

Forgot to say our previous cats were Shelley, Oscar & Eliot & dog Kip(ling) all after poets. We also took on a Norwegian Forest cat who was called Quintillion Argful or Argful for short - she was a daft a brush and twice as lovely.

mrssmooth Sun 21-Apr-13 16:15:12

We have Aggie (short for Agapi, greek word for darling) and our latest addition, 7 month old tabby and white kitten called ... Keith. Not sure what kind of personality a Keith should have, but he's a great wee sociable, cuddly kitten! Aggie on the other hand (she's 7) is not at all impressed with Keith, but she's a non cuddly, "stay away from me" kind of cat anyway!

I have a Jelly who really does suit his name though I bet he gets the mick taken out of him & im always asked why on earth I thought if was an apropriate name for a cat confused hmm
I also have Rosie & RaRa

My mums Aunt had a cat called CookingFat (one word) say it really fast & what do you get ....grin

AlisonL1981 Sun 28-Apr-13 10:49:19

I have a Mia cat. X

everythinghippie29 Sun 28-Apr-13 10:55:21

Xander and Sticky, Sticky named largely because as a kitten he was always had something or other stuck to his fur...still a mucky little guy for a cat now!

scarfaceace Sun 28-Apr-13 11:05:18

Our (very black) spitting scratching biting little bundle of fluff is called Kali (pronounced Carly) after the black Indian goddess with many arms. But actually I just call her Catface, and that's what she responds to.

Reiltin Tue 30-Apr-13 11:23:29

Ours are Sitka & Juneau, the names of two towns in Alaska where we went on our honeymoon.

becomingMummy Tue 30-Apr-13 18:21:15

Mine is Garbijj, it suits him - he'll eat anything that's available. =]

MrsMaryCooper Tue 30-Apr-13 18:29:44

Purbo

He has a big purr so v. appropriate.

monsterchild Tue 30-Apr-13 18:33:12

we have Toxic Moxie, Vast Max (because he is vast, like a continent), Fluffa, AKA Numenor, and Old Lady StinkCat

StellaNova Tue 30-Apr-13 18:37:03

Our cat when I was little was called Christmas. It made for interesting looks when cruising the cat food aisle "I'll just pick up some tins of cat food for Christmas".

Then I had a kitten called Troi. After the Star Trek character.

Pascha Tue 30-Apr-13 18:39:49

Chicken and Mr Woo.

TimrousBeastie Tue 30-Apr-13 19:15:14

Bigcat is called nymphadora or nym for short and weecat is called rue (was reading hunger games at the time).

thecalpollady Tue 30-Apr-13 19:23:49

We have 2 Maine Coon cats and because of their American origins we decided on Dakota and Atlanta. I think the names suit them smile

thecalpollady Tue 30-Apr-13 19:26:24

And my friend has called cat Jimmy and Choo!!

bootsycollins Wed 01-May-13 05:59:12

I like a nice strong name on a cat

William
Serge
Jeffrey
Thomas
George
Wilfred
Stanley
Django
Quentin

And the like, I'm also very fond of the unisex Binky. I've never had a lady cat but if I did my first choice would be Audrey.

Fuzzymum1 Mon 06-May-13 21:13:20

Ours:
Murphy (after the stout) RIP
Tabitha (tabby fur) known as Tabby RIP
McGonagall (known as Mog)
Boddington (after the beer)
Trevor (after Magical Trevor www.youtube.com/watch?v=au3-hk-pXsM )
Mabel - a pretty name for a pretty girl
Fred - I wanted to call our son Fred but DH refused
Marmite (a very dark Tortie who was the colour of marmite as a kitten)
Douglas - I thought being half maine coon he needed a manly name and it suits hm so well :D

RugBugs Mon 06-May-13 21:23:16

Two of mine are popular MN choices for babies, Hesper and Hugo.
The other I really liked the registered name her breeder had given her, Eilinel, so stuck with that.

I once named a kitten Roland after watching ToTP and seeing it on a piano.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now