I have to rehome my cat

(12 Posts)
Panadbois Fri 19-Apr-13 14:40:56

please tell me it's ok :-(

8yr old female cat has been with me since she was a kitten. Never really successfully house trained her as we moved house during this time.

So I'm looking after a 24 month old little girl and the cat's behaviour has become worse.
She hisses and lunges at the baby for no reason.
She pees and poos anywhere
She bullies my other older cat
She's making me nervous even.

Have asked for help in rehoming her but they don't think they can help.

I'm off to see the vet now. Truth be told, if she was a dog, she'd be put down :-(

MooneyRara Fri 19-Apr-13 14:44:31

sometimes illness can cause this sort of aggression - she may be in pain.

do get it checked out x

cozietoesie Fri 19-Apr-13 14:45:45

How long is the little girl to stay with you?

Just checking she's neutered? Unneutered female housecats go pyscho after a few years and start attacking everything and everyone. You wouldn't believe how scary such cats can become.

And yes, is this girl just with you temporarily? In which case can you just try to keep them apart until she goes?

Panadbois Fri 19-Apr-13 15:47:57

LO has been with me a year, and cat's attitude is getting worse. I took the cat with me to the loo this morning as I couldn't leave both downstairs. (she can open doors)

She is neutered yes. We have tried Feliway and it didn't work for random peeing so can't see it work for jealousy.

I have a friend who might take her in on her small holding, and this is a woman I trust to be kind and patient. Hoping she'll contact me tonight.

MooneyRara Fri 19-Apr-13 17:25:39

what did the vet say?

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:31:05

I hope your friend takes the cat, sounds like the perfect home for her

Panadbois Fri 19-Apr-13 18:53:31

Didn't see the vet, only the nurse/ receptionist. She could give any advice except for Feliway an Zilkeze for calming down.

I haven't heard from my friend yet so still hope.

MooneyRara Fri 19-Apr-13 19:29:18

I just think there could be an issue with her health iyswim

cats often become aggressive/defensive when they are in pain.

QueenStromba Sat 20-Apr-13 12:46:04

I really think you should get her in to see the vet. As others have said, behavioural changes in cats could be due to a medical problem and that should be ruled out before deciding that it's stress/jealousy. If she isn't sick then it sounds like going to live with your friend would be the best thing for her if she's not happy with you.

Panadbois Sat 20-Apr-13 13:07:17

Thanks for posting. Will book her for a MOT at the vets and let you know.

QueenStromba Sat 20-Apr-13 13:24:50

I'm glad I'm not the only person who refers to a full kitty check up as an MOT! Hopefully she's fine and just needs a change of scenery or she has something that's easily medicated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now