cat not eating - advice please

(8 Posts)
dementedma Tue 16-Apr-13 22:30:04

We acquired a rescue cat 6 months ago. We adore him. He is a big soft friendly neutered Tom. A big cat with a big appetite for both cuddles and food. In the last 24 hours he has wanted neither - completely out of character. He has had no food at all, was restless last night and has slept the entire day in one place today with no food. He will let us stroke him and purr a bit, but no headbutt ing for more strokes, or rolling over as usual. If we pick him up he doesn't cry but wriggles away.
We wormed him when we got him but he hasn't been to VET yet as he is still wary of new people and I think he would panic being boxed. Any advice. His ears and nose are cool and he doesn't seem in any pain or distress

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 22:34:03

Lethargic today, behaviour changed and not eating? I'd have him to the vet tomorrow. Has he been drinking water at all or used his tray?

dementedma Tue 16-Apr-13 22:36:20

He doesn't have a tray.He goes out and is out now. As far as I can see he hasn't drunk any water from his bowl, but may have drunk outside

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 22:43:16

Ah right. That's the advantage (for me) of having a housecat this time round. You can tell quite precisely.

See if you can entice him with some chicken or tuna if you have any around (he may have got a stomach upset which could clear) but if you're not seeing an improvement by tomorrow morning, I'd have him up to the vet. At least he feels well enough to go outside which is, I think, a good sign.

emmelinelucas Tue 16-Apr-13 22:45:59

I would takes him to the vets tomorrow if he is no better in the morning.
You can't be sure he has had a drink, and cats dehydrate very quickly.

dementedma Tue 16-Apr-13 22:47:42

Thanks cosie. Yes, he does not seem in any distress but he is normally a real greedy guts and cuddle monster, so this is not like him at all. I will try and call him in soon and keep an eye on him.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 22:49:01

Good luck. Let us know how he gets on.

emmelinelucas Sat 20-Apr-13 17:58:19

How is he, OP ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now