Another cat pee problem...

(9 Posts)
Toomuchtea Tue 16-Apr-13 13:40:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YoniConnect Tue 16-Apr-13 13:53:28

Oh, I feel your pain - I had this problem with my grouchy old cat when we moved house. Might she be traumatised when she does go outside by loud noises or dogs barking? I think this was the problem we had. I would suggest you try a feliway diffuser then if possible restricting her to the part of the house where her litter tray is to al least contain the problem (hopefully this area doesn't have carpet). Good luck; it can be quite tricky to break the soiling habit.

Toomuchtea Tue 16-Apr-13 14:18:45

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 14:28:53

Find a local carpet shop and get some carpet samples - good quality wool carpet goes down best. (Any carpet shop will likely have books of the things in the back and you should be able to get some free.)

Then anchor one to the floor somewhere, perhaps putting a full edge under a heavy enough piece of furniture (you can tack them if the situation is desperate) and encourage use of that. (Praise for using the sample and telling off firmly for using 'real' carpet.)

The cat should switch to sole use of that pretty quickly.

Toomuchtea Tue 16-Apr-13 22:29:16

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 22:38:44

Yep - essentially what you'd be doing is giving her another sacrificial piece. Once she gets the message that she'll be told off for scratching one place and praised for another she will hopefully cooperate - but it's important to get decent carpet for the purposes. A nice Wilton or something!

Toomuchtea Wed 17-Apr-13 15:27:59

deliasmithy Thu 18-Apr-13 20:04:26

I I bought a door mat which I really liked. One of my two felines loves ripping it to shreds and the other prefers using my palest walls as scratching posts. I also leave boxes lying around for them to rip apart. Cats are so different its hard to know what things will work.

I agree about putting her in one room for a little while. Shes either feeling stressed, lost where the tray is or has an underlying medical condition. Or maybe you're right, she's grumpy and does it because she can!

CatWithARabbit Sat 20-Apr-13 00:13:46

I would try Feliway as soon as you can. It's expensive, but it worked for our cat. She was 14 and was being terrorised by a stray who came in through cat flap and sprayed in the house. She was so scared she stopped going out, and took to doing her business in the bath. (DH was not happy with this ...). After a week I heard of Feliway and it worked immediatel, she went outside two hours after plugging it in . Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now