Stopping cats from peeing where they shouldn't

(9 Posts)
Madratlady Tue 16-Apr-13 10:19:31

For the third day in a row I've found a puddle of cat wee under the rat cage. I'm very cross! I think they have decided the rat bedding that falls out of the cage is good cat litter even though they have a perfectly good litter tray and can go outside. And they know they aren't allowed to pee there anyway.

How can I stop them peeing there?

Dh claims that putting pepper down works so I've just put a load on the (now cleaned) floor.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 10:43:30

How many are there and are they male?

Maybe an extra tray would be good - if you have more than one cat you could do with at least two. But I have to say that it sound as if it just might be 'protest pees' to me. (They dislike the rat and its smells.)

deliasmithy Wed 17-Apr-13 09:48:10

Also you now have the problem that to the cats sensitive noses it smells of wee and this might encourage further weeing. You need to ensure all odour has gone even if you cant smell it.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Apr-13 13:32:15

Put a litter tray in that area, it'll catch the rat bedding too.

Madratlady Fri 19-Apr-13 10:33:26

fluffy the smell of the litter tray would really upset the rats!

cozietoesie Fri 19-Apr-13 13:52:42

Is there any way you can change living arrangements? (The physical layout, I mean.)

Madratlady Fri 19-Apr-13 18:25:02

Hmmm maybe although downstairs is all open plan. They seem to have finally realised that they are allowed to wee outside, the litter tray is getting much less use.

cozietoesie Fri 19-Apr-13 19:42:35

See how it goes over the next few days then?

Oh I love rats so much ... I think a house of 20 cats would be too much even for the most confident of rats though.

Anyway I hope it works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now